• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scariest??

21 posts in this topic

I ask this here because of the Infinite Horror Thread....

I would like to get into some of the horror type books, but I dont want to pick up anything corny (for lack of a better word)...I want something thats scary or after reading it your hairs stand on end!

So whats the scariest title (HOM, Unexpected, etc...) and which issues are the scariest???

check out my website, i point out the good ones next to the covers gossip.gif

house of mystery tends to be the best title

start with house of Secrets #131 & house of mystery #207

These were scary? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif We should get more kids to read the bunny story in Unexpected 202! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For real scary, scary. I'd go with some EC reprints like Tales From The Crypt or The Vault Of Horror. Not Bronze of course, but these short word heavy stories are in my opinion much better written and "scarier" than any Marvel or DC comics. Granted, I have only read a fraction of all that is available, but this is my opinion based on the samples that I have read. ------Sid

For real scary, scary. I'd go with some EC reprints like Tales From The Crypt or The Vault Of Horror. Not Bronze of course, but these short word heavy stories are in my opinion much better written and "scarier" than any Marvel or DC comics. Granted, I have only read a fraction of all that is available, but this is my opinion based on the samples that I have read. ------Sid

thumbsup2.gif

You're qualified to answer the question??? I thought you didn't read comics? confused.gif

You're qualified to answer the question??? I thought you didn't read comics? confused.gif

MAN do you carry chips on your shoulder or WHAT! Sid has said he DOES read some comics on ocassion. Gawd! Give the guy a freaking BREAK and stop FROWNING at him. Man! Geeze!

PS - Hey Sid! hi.gif

PPS - No hi.gif for BOC one week!

well i don't even think most pre-code stuff is "scary" Very few stories or movies are. ECs are clever, but i haven't been scared by one. Tales from the tomb (Dell one shot) & Ghost Stories #1 (dell again!) are two comics that are pretty spooky. That being said, there are stories that are really weird, or creepy that are worth reading instead of corny.

well i don't even think most pre-code stuff is "scary" Very few stories or movies are. ECs are clever, but i haven't been scared by one.

But you have to remember who these comics were supposed to scare: kids and teens, and for that segement, they did their job.

I can remember as a little kid, getting some HOS and Phantom Stranger 20-centers from a relative, and being scared absolutely -less at some of the stories.

Sure, now they look kinda corny, but when you're 8... reading them late at night.... 893whatthe.gif

MAN do you carry chips on your shoulder or WHAT! Sid has said he DOES read some comics on ocassion. Gawd! Give the guy a freaking BREAK and stop FROWNING at him. Man! Geeze!

PS - Hey Sid! hi.gif

PPS - No hi.gif for BOC one week!

Thanks POV. Yeah, I don't read much but I am an EC Fanaddict and I did go through a stage five years or so ago where I read a couple dozen EC stories. Heck, they are only 6-8 pages long each. Recently when I became interested in DC Bronze horror I read a few of those just to see if they compare. Although I felt the art was pretty good on many of the stories, the writing did not come close. I think one of the reasons is that most of the EC panels are so overloaded with words that it is more like reading a short story out of a book with a bunch of pictures for referrence. I bet if you took the text out of an EC story it would stand on it's own, even without any art. With that kind of style, it effectively gets the reader more involved and can create a more spooky tone. -----Sid

Agreed JC, but xsmanx is asking for books that will scare him now, and i think he is older than 8! When i was a kid, HOM 261 freaked me out pretty good! (Not as much as that Salem's Lot TV movie 893whatthe.gif) So i was trying to talk about what is scary to an adult.

Sid - Great point about the ECs, they were so text heavy, it really pulled you intio the story. ECs are wonderful! Most precode horror was, they actually put words in comics back then! There are several bronze stories which hold up just as well, but they are scattered over over 15 years and 900 issues, so the impact is not as great.

Funny you mentioned about words per panel on EC, etc. CBG has an interesting article: The Case of the Vanishing Balloon. They back it up with actual statistics, using The Amazing Spider-man as a case study.

Actually, although I don't collect Charltons, I agree with shiver that there are some downright freaky stories coming from the Charlton side of the house. (Granted, I read them when I was 8).

Hey guys--don't forget to pick up Toe Tags--it's a six issue mini and the cover on #1 features Wrightson. Yeah--it's the tired zombie thing--but I'll take what I can get from the Modern genre.

I think you can't go wrong with HOMs in the 220s-240 and HOS 115-123. Great stuff all around. The early stuff was a little tame and the writing was a little hackneyed.

For just great reads, HOS 151 is about as good as it gets from cover to page 32.

Thanks people for all the help! thumbsup2.gif