• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Your Ex Takes Your Comic Collection…

40 posts in this topic

My ex boyfriend got a good portion of my collection by tricking the person I entrusted my stuff to.

I just know he would not have noticed all my Mads were signed by the EC panel (depending on who contributed to them I had them from number 3) . He probably also would not have noticed the Forrest Ackerman had signed all my old horror magazines.

The person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed probably sold them for .50 each at a yard sale!

I am married now.

My husband and I lost most of our comics in our house fire. I have less than a half box now. He has more,but unless I caught him cheating I wouldn't touch them.

If I caught him cheating ..well that is a different story..I would probably keep his books and bury his remains (what was left) in a long box in the back yard..

He knows this so very unlikely it will ever happen..

My ex boyfriend got a good portion of my collection by tricking the person I entrusted my stuff to.

I just know he would not have noticed all my Mads were signed by the EC panel (depending on who contributed to them I had them from number 3) . He probably also would not have noticed the Forrest Ackerman had signed all my old horror magazines.

The person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed probably sold them for .50 each at a yard sale!

I am married now.

My husband and I lost most of our comics in our house fire. I have less than a half box now. He has more,but unless I caught him cheating I wouldn't touch them.

If I caught him cheating ..well that is a different story..I would probably keep his books and bury his remains (what was left) in a long box in the back yard..

lol

What's with all the jesting about the collection itself? :)

- Complete set of Miracleman

- Frank Miller Daredevil

- All new Image number one

Sounds impressive to me...

Oh man you mean there is a Brigade number 1 in there..dang suhwweeet!

Jiminy I hope he did not lose his Eclipso #1 it has a nifty plastic gem on the cover!!

I am married now.

lol

I don't believe in divorce..so much of a hassle dividing your stuff up...

I am married now.

lol

I don't believe in divorce..so much of a hassle dividing your stuff up...

Easier dividing up the ex? :grin:

well, the "good" thing is that if I ever get divorced it will be as a result of the stresses of our lousy finances, so I will probably have sold most of my comics off just to pay bills by then. if she wants to liberate me of my 90's drek I can't unload, good for her.

I am married now.

lol

I don't believe in divorce..so much of a hassle with the lawyers dividing your stuff up...

Fixed that.

Somehow my collection survived my divorce 100% intact. I wish she would have gone after some of my drek though...

In my case, my collection was a pre-marital asset. Granted, it was almost entirely copper and modern drek worthy of $1 boxes, but the mediator was pretty quick to separate all the pre-marital stuff out and just deal with money and materials gained during the marriage. Fortunately, I had never heard of CGC before then.

I have heard of other significant collections, though, that have had to be sold off in order to split the proceeds. Sucky.

If my girlfriend decided to walk off with my books, though, I would probably be pretty active in getting them back.

My comic collection has been stolen by my ex-girlfriend. It consists of three thousand comics, mainly Marvel, DC from 2000 0nwards, but some indies and some stuff I had left from the eighties. At least half are variants or sketch variants, there’s a complete set of Miracleman, the first issue signed by Alan Moore the second page in, I got it signed in the eighties, two Burn Hogarth portfolios, King Arthur signed and numbered, a few printer acetates, from Dave Sim, Simon Bizley, Brian Bolland, Jack Kirby, a lot of Bernie Wrightson stuff, the Watchmen portfolio from eighties, a complete set of Frank Miller Daredevil, a complete set of 1:25 and sketch variants of Civil War, a complete set of Civil War Spider-Man variants, a complete set of Green Lantern from Rebirth, with all the variants, Red Hulk 1-25 all covers, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion all covers, Aspen variants, Morning Glories complete set with second print variants, all the new Image number ones like Manhattan Projects, etc.

He should thank her.

After spending 4 days in jail she had a change of heart...

Jail makes you think a little more clearly, and rather quickly.

Ok, I will ask...

What did you do that a girl was willing to go to jail for four days to seek revenge against you by taking your stuff?

Having them served with divorce papers usually gets them angry :makepoint:

After spending 4 days in jail she had a change of heart...

Jail makes you think a little more clearly, and rather quickly.

Ok, I will ask...

What did you do that a girl was willing to go to jail for four days to seek revenge against you by taking your stuff?

In the midst of a divorce and the ex hasn't asked for my CGC collection yet (personal property pretty much settled) but she has asked for pretty much everything else; I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and have a list of about 4 drop dead books I would fight to keep; though I wont state what they are because the Boards have eyes! :mad:

In the States the ex-husband must come up with 1/2 of the retail value of the collection and give it to his ex. She gets full value for her half and the husband gets comics worth 1/3 to 1/2 if he decides to sell to a dealer.

Since she took the collection can't the ex claim that she owes him half of the value?

That depends on what state you're in. When I was divorced I didn't have to come up with anything. :grin:

It also depends on how much of the collection was acquired before the marriage, although the burden of proof may be unduly on the collector.