• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you share your hobbies with your local friends?

58 posts in this topic

I mainly just buy and read. None of my friends really know or care anything about comics so I don't bore them with stuff they don't like. Most of my childhood friends know I collected comics but most don't know that I still collect. All my comic talk happens online. I guess I am a closet collector lol. I agree with what most people already said. Most "normal" people don't care about comics and think its a little strange that grown men waste money on such silly kids things. I am not embarrassed by it but I just don't waste my time and energy telling people about it...its easier that way.

I think, unless you are kid, is not a matter of whether you have a passion for comics or not, rather it’s a matter of certain qualities you seek in entertainment, arts and hobbies, which may be common to one’s various interests.

All that belongs to "fads" will eventually fade away, and most younger people which may happen to be momentarily passionate about the comics medium will eventually drop a specific interest and/or passion, while others will strenghten interest in things they like for their inherent qualities. That holds true for any artistic product, it’s no longer an issue that we are discussing of "comics" instead of literary fiction, fine art, typography and design, music, whatever.

It depends on the specific values you recognize in each thing, since comics have luckily left behind them their "mark of infamy" which originated as a byproduct of certain preconceived education practices.

At least, this is how it happened in Europe. In the 1980s, some may have still found funny that boys and girls in their late teens kept an interest in comics. That notion, uninformed, superficial and wrong, luckily is gone.

There are also general considerations on the notion of "entertainment" which may help to underline the cultural differences between country and country, but in general I think that the fact that many movies or contemporary entertainment is often very immature (albeit disguised as "adult" and "sophisticate") is helping to definitely ransom comics from their stereotypal image which has dominated a good part of the 20th centuty.

Of course, I am speaking of comics at 360°, not only american comic books of a given specific genre. ;)

I wonder what greggy's friends think? When he let's them know he spends more on comics in a month than the GNP of Nigeria...., ?

When I tell people I've spent $2000 on comics in the last three months I get one of these :facepalm: I'm all alone in this hobby. Good thing I love football it give me something to talk about with the "normal" folk

Friends?

Lemme see....I work full-time, got a wife, six kids, a home that needs snow shoveled every 2nd day...who has time for friends? :busy:

six kids?!?!?

you should just turn the heat up, it'd be cheaper!

:D

With six kids I would be making their azzes shovel the snow. :baiting:

Friends?

Lemme see....I work full-time, got a wife, six kids, a home that needs snow shoveled every 2nd day...who has time for friends? :busy:

six kids?!?!?

Lou and I have six between the two of us. I shovel the snow.

:tonofbricks:

I will talk to anyone about comics. Many of my friends are artist types and the storytelling and art of comics interests them. But usually when I start talking about comic history they tune out.

My girlfriend is very nice and when I am making a purchase she is always interested and likes to have a go at grading the books from a scan. Besides that my family have always been supportive and every birthday and Christmas I get a voucher for my favorite LCS.

No one I know personally has a thing for collecting high value books. Except my old LCS owner who had full runs of every sa superhero title from marvel but he sold his shop

Friends?

six kids?!?!?

You're much too nice Roy. :hi:

I have meet some good friends through message boards and online trading.

I am also part of a toy collecting group that gets together about once a month for a meet and swap.

My childhood friends don't collect so we don't talk a lot about my hobby, they do know about it though.

Friends?

six kids?!?!?

Unfortunately, the window between "too little to shovel" and out of the house turns out to be all too brief. :D