• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you share your hobbies with your local friends?

58 posts in this topic

with that said, there is another guy in the office who is a pretty avid collector as well and a few other guys i see popping into the local comic shop near the office now and then, but I don't think they're more than casual readers. i suspect there may be others, but my office has like 700 employees, so i can't possibly know all of them. i do pick up free comics at the shop and if they're age appropriate give them to some of my colleagues who have kids the right age who might be interested (generally boys because unless they ask for them i'm not going to try and push comics on girls).

the lady two doors down from me had her 5 year old grandson over and I offered him a FCB green lantern or superman comic, I figured he'd know them from the cartoons, but he had no interest. oh well, i tried.

I used to have a few local guys that also collected, but they moved away. I know of a couple more here that have accumulations from their past, but have not met them.

I'm giving a presentation for the Lion's Club on Wednesday, and still figuring out what I'm going to do - it will only be about 15 minutes. Probably how I got into it, how long, how many, grading/CGC/relation to value, cover collecting themes, and how the hobby has changed over the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, glut and partial recovery and now the digital threat.

I find I get strange looks if I tell some one I collect old comic books !

I have asked all over at the shops if there is a comic collecting club here in Calgary and they always say Start One but have no interest themselves !

Heck I cant even get the local boardys band together ?

Its a fun hobby !

There are quite a few of us here in the Philly area that get together from time to time to geek out. It's nice having like minded folks to hang out with.

BTW, my brother and his sons collect comics and live in the Norfolk area. They frequent one of the comic stores down there as well.

When I tell people I collect comic books, they look at me the way Elaine is looking at the guy who collects TV Guide:

enhanced-buzz-13419-1343761689-0.jpg

HAHAHA. +1 here.

I've got a mate at work who is massively into comics, comic-art and hot toys 1/6th scale.

I've got a few hot toys, a few art pieces but my main interest is comics. We talk about that stuff a fair bit and he updates me on things a lot. Total champ.

But all my mates outside of work look at me like Elaine. They sort of know, because I'll interact with some creators on Twitter.. send pictures of acquisitions etc and I have a glass cabinet with the 89 Keaton and Joker Hot Toys and the 89 Batmobile Hot Wheels in it. (Have to make some room for the Ledger Hot toys 2.0 that's en route! yesss). I did have that in my guitar room.. aka "danland" but my ridiculously awesome missus wanted to move it into the main living room.

She doesn't really get it, but thinks the pieces are pretty cool and an interesting conversation starter.

She also doesn't understand the comics, but thinks CGC SS are cool and interesting enough and is happy that I'm happy and she supports me for that. She's also very hot. So, frankly - I feel really lucky.

My other mates don't really get it... so it's sort of known, accepted, not understood or discussed.

Used to be a lot of. Get together of folks on here and dinners before the conventions back when Ifirst joined this site like 10 years ago. Seems that not happening much anymore. Was cool . I have gotten together with folks from some of the sports websites and groups I'm in. A lot of fun to grab a beer and shot the you know what with folks who share the same interest.

I bring up my collecting occasionally to local friends but, none of them collect. (with the exception of local board members, who are my friends)

About 6 months ago, I was contacted through ebay about a group that get together every other week to discuss comics. Seems the meeting place is only 15 minutes from my house, I try to attend at least once a month. I find it refreshing, and the hour and a half goes by fast.

My local friends and i have a Facebook group that is aimed toward collectors of anything in Georgia.

Bingo. That's what I am going for. None of my friends actually "collect" comics. Some of them read some here or there but they collect other things. One guy with basecards and figures. One guy that's all horror. I have found I love exploring others collections no matter what they are. I just enjoy the stories and the passion they put into putting together whatever they fancy. I never get tired of talking Wheaties boxes with my friend!

I bring up my collecting occasionally to local friends but, none of them collect. (with the exception of local board members, who are my friends)

About 6 months ago, I was contacted through ebay about a group that get together every other week to discuss comics. Seems the meeting place is only 15 minutes from my house, I try to attend at least once a month. I find it refreshing, and the hour and a half goes by fast.

That sounds like fun. There was one in the City that discussed graphic novels monthly but it is too much of a hassle to trek in during the week.

I build model kits and belong to a model club. Everyone in the club knows I'm into comics from the kits I build. A lot of superhero models. Most of my relatives know I collect comics just from coming to my house and seeing my comic book room. Now and then someone asks something about comics, but its not like I talk comics all the time. I have too many other interests.