• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines oh my!

483 posts in this topic

Red, what is Sulipa asking for Back for more and Badtime Stories issues, price wise? Very Curious.

-bounty

As I recall 'Badtime Stories' was roughly $70 and 'Back for more' was in the $40 range....

Wow that is a solid price for those books. What are we looking at VF copies or so for that price? I faintly recall him mentioning prices in this years guide for them in a VF condition.

Check this bad boy out. 1970 "This is Legend" Awesome Wrightson Cover of the Headless Horseman. Look at the eyes of that Horse! This Had a very cool Headless Horseman story in it Illustrated by Wrightson (maybe 9 pages). As well as some Kaluta art, and maybe Jeff Jones art.

565174-This_Is_legend_1970.jpg

565174-This_Is_legend_1970.jpg.bb54d4fba748d8ba9b292043daa9a9ab.jpg

Wow that is a solid price for those books. What are we looking at VF copies or so for that price? I faintly recall him mentioning prices in this years guide for them in a VF condition.

Check this bad boy out. 1970 "This is Legend" Awesome Wrightson Cover of the Headless Horseman. Look at the eyes of that Horse! This Had a very cool Headless Horseman story in it Illustrated by Wrightson (maybe 9 pages). As well as some Kaluta art, and maybe Jeff Jones art.

That friggin rocks!!! Is that a fanzine??? Never heard of that one before. Please share a bit of history on that particular treasure.

The prices I quoted were the amounts I paid last xmas , not sure what they guide for or what he charges now.

That friggin rocks!!! Is that a fanzine??? Never heard of that one before. Please share a bit of history on that particular treasure.

The prices I quoted were the amounts I paid last xmas , not sure what they guide for or what he charges now.

Yep this would be considered a fanzine. When I get back I'll take it out again and give you the low down on the issue and all the stories and arts. If I remember right it was a book kind of dedicated to folklore. Such as the Headless horseman, lady in the shoe, etc. Only been able to find 1 of its kind thus far.

I'll be out of town for the next 3 days, so it may get quiet in here. Please keep up some discussion though, I love to read all of your guys posts and ramblings when I get back. I'll leave some more pictures for good measure and discussion.

-bounty

TOOTS GARBOLI!!!!!!!!!!

As the festivities begin Louie yells, "pink...who the hell ordered the PINK cake..." SUPRISE!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif JG-JG-Rattatatttattttttt, "Here's your pink you rat scum" boo.gif

Poor Louie. At least they got to see that dame in a bikini before their untimely deaths!

565234-Crime_Machine_1.jpg

565234-Crime_Machine_1.jpg.b83438dd735183dfb5652d4fd4c66d1e.jpg

While we are at a temporary Crime spot I thought that I would put up this Extremely Gritty Cover. Murder Tales 2nd issue in a two issue series...Scarce as far as I'm concerned.

For the longest time I had never known what this cover looked like, until I stumbled upon it one day. It hit me like a ton of bricks tonofbricks.gif. While such a brutal and evil cover, it really was painted and captured well. One of the true gems in my collection.

565256-Murder_Tales_V1_%2311.jpg

589a8cd78daab_565256-Murder_Tales_V1_11.jpg.53828495fbe3085b724c9da7721a977b.jpg

************************************************************************************************

************************************** Important Update ************************************

************************************************************************************************

Red okay I've got the complete lowdown on this particular fanzine that I posted earlier titled "This is Legend".

So check this out. The fella that I obtained this from, I had been buying books from for awhile. I have his email and contacted him to find out if he knew much about the history of this book. Which was kind of cool because I havn't talked to him in awhile. None the less, he said that he neither knew much about it, BUT he had acquired it from a good friend many many years ago. This "good friend" of his was actually best friends with the Editor/Publisher of this book. He told me that this gentleman would be more than willing to share some information with me about this book and gave me his cell phone number.

*I still cannot believe how smooth all of this went. How amazing our modern technologies are!...Email, Cell phones, etc. *

So on my lunch, I called him up and actually got ahold of him (how weird is this?). And here are the words directly from the horses mouth:

"Bob Juanillo (actual editor/publisher) was a personal friend of mine. He and his partner printed up 500 of these and took them to the '71 San Diego Comic Con. What they didn't sell I bought the remainder off of him." (good thing I took notes in MS notepad)

He told me that at the '71 San Diego Comic convention that he was able to sell over 300 of them and had approximately 125 remaining (of which this is the quantity that the guy I am talking to bought from the original publisher).

He told me that out of the final 125 issue that he purchased, more than half suffered water damage in the 80's. The 125 issues were stored in 2 boxes; 1 box suffered damage, while the 2nd box was perfectly fine without any damage. All damaged issues were thrown away. So approximately 50 issues or so survived this and over the years he has been slowly selling them as he can. He said that most recently he was recieving $75 an issue. (When I heard that I did one of those little *gasps*; My initial friend who I got my issue from, gave me a very good deal on it).

So I asked him how many he has left, their condition, and how much he was looking for them.

He believes that he has less than 10 left (that he would have to check). On condition, he said that we would have to check for sure as well. But that they had minor foxing, and possibly a few lightly bumped corners just from being stored in a box. He mentioned that this was the condition of the ones he's been selling, so he would have to check for sure on the ones that he has left.

He told me that he would be willing to drop the price 20% if I picked up 5 or more issues. So basically he was getting $75 an issue and would make it $65 for 5 issues. At this point I told him that I was interested in an issue but would check around with some friends to see if they wanted any as well for I don't have the means currently to purchase 5.

So here I am passing this knowledge to all the members of the "Secret: Skywald, Eerie Publications and Stanley Society Thread" gossip.gif

Basically here is the Breakdown.

Amazing never before printed or reprinted Original Headless Horseman Wrightson Cover. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Headless Horseman) story inside illustrated by Bernie Wrightson (I'll have to get a page count, but I know the story was about 10 pages maybe more...Plus other Misc. stories and art Including Frazetta, Brunner, and maybe Kaluta).

500 Total Print run on these (which is Insane). 300-350 issues sold at the '71 San Diego Comic Con. The rest were acquired by this gentleman and of which 1/2 were damaged and thrown away. Total POSSIBLE existing copies 350-400. Of that which actually made it who knows, but I'm sure that they were read very well and kept on book shelfs and acquired shelf wear. These copies have never been opened or leafed through, and only have minor storage wear.

ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED (or knows of someone who is interested) LET ME KNOW VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE. State how many copies you are interested in as well. If there is an overwhelming response I will triage as first come first serve.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. But this looks like it is a much rarer book than I had originally thought.

Any questions or thoughts on this book please reply to this thread.

Any inquires or interests in acquiring a copy of this book, please Private Message me directly and we can talk there.

Hope that I can make some people happy here.

-bounty

Heads up again, I mentioned this a few posts back but wanted to re-say it just incase anyone did PM me and was wondering why they weren't getting replies. I will be out of town for the next 3 days, so I'll check messages again tonight, and then this coming Friday when I get back. For now I'll keep this secret through this thread. Just to make sure everyone here that wants one, gets one. IF we or I need more buyers to make this a discounted deal then we can take it to other threads.

Okay guys talk with you later.

-bounty

i have many of these titles in high grade scream, psycho, nightmare, chilling tales of horror, tales from the tomb, terror tales,terror of dracula , vampirella 2-30, witches tales , shock. Thats all I can think of right now without looking. I rebagged them nearly 10 years ago and haven't looked at them since. I was thinking of sending some in to CGC to see how they stand up against thier gradeing.

Alright Guys here is the full lowdown on the "This is Legend" Fanzine. It was actually printed in 1970 (I stated 1971 earlier). As you can see below it has work by Wrightson, Kaluta, Brunner, Jeff Jones, Alan Weiss and Ken Kelly among others. Amazing book.

This Is Legend

1. Cover: Berni Wrightson/frontispiece: Michael Kaluta/titlepage: Kenneth Smith/back cover: Bob Juanillo (1970) [edited: Richard L. Jennings]

1) Introduction [written: Richard L. Jennings; illustrated: Kenneth Smith] 1p [text article]

2) The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow [adapted: Jeff Jones; illustrated: Jeff Jones; Alan Weiss & Berni Wrightson] 11p from the story by Washington Irving

3) Pin-Up [illustrated: Robert L. Kline] 1p

4) From The Book Of Useless Information [written: ?; illustrated: Kenneth Smith; Steve Harper & Ken Kelley] 3p [text article---should be noted that if this is the Ken Kelly of cover artist fame it is art from very early in his career. I’m not certain they’re the same guy.]

5) Pin-Ups [illustrated: Bob Juanillo, Steve Hickman, Ray Cioni, Ken Kelley] 4p

6) Editorial [written: Richard L. Jennings; illustrated: Kenneth Smith] 2p [text article]

7) Pin-Ups [illustrated: Randy Broecker, Bonnie Moore, Ken Kelley, Bob Juanillo, Frank Brunner , Kenneth Smith, Roy G. Krenkel] 9p

8) The Gardener [written & illustrated: Michael Kaluta ] 5p

9) The Story-Telling Stone [written: Richard L. Jennings; illustrated: Ken Kelly & Kenneth Smith] 4p [text story]

10) Pin-Ups [illustrated: Ken Kelley, Kenneth Smith, Bonnie Moore, Randy Broecker] 7p

11) Trolls [written & illustrated: Rick Rydell] 1p [probably a try-out for Creepy’s Loathsome Lore.]

12) Pin-Ups [illustrated: Randy Yeates, Randy Broecker, Bob Juanillo, Frank Frazetta , Steve Fritz, Steve Hickman, Bruce Jones] 8p

13) The Last Word [written: Richard L. Jennings] 1p [text article, on inside back cover.]

-bounty

In my very humble oppinion. One of the toughest Skwyald issues to get in High Grade. Psycho #14 with the "classic creeps" cover. Man the colors and lighting technique on this cover is absolutely amazing.

Other tough black Issues in the Psycho Series (it seemed like this series had the most of them), the #22 Fall Special, #9 Slither Slime Man cover, and the infamous #18 Injury to Eye Cover.

These books will provide major nuisances to collectors trying to find the highest graded copies in the future.

570502-Psycho_14_1973.jpg

570502-115-1568_IMG.JPG

570502-Psycho_9.jpg

570502-115-1519_IMG1.jpg

570502-115-1519_IMG1.jpg.5f03d60e3cd6efc87e75f08c2dd112e2.jpg

I dont have the Fall Special.... sorry.gif

BTW: My image URLs went teats up as I am changing providers ... upgrading so as to host a website with a true SQL backend and .net web services. It will be magazine related.....Coming soon.