• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CVA exceptional?? Really??

106 posts in this topic

Another "superior example" of a miscut book. Ok, I officially don't feel sorry for anyone who puts this garbage on their books. If you are dense enough to actually think that this service is worth it, you deserve to be parted with your money.

Aren't many CVA books fetching more money at auction?

Roy, isn't it possible that those books are fetching more at auction because the bidders recognize that the book appears exceptional for the grade? Some of us do pay a premium for copies that present nicely for the grade, regardless of whether it has a CVA sticker or not.

that cant be it, Im sure its the stickers.

Whether it's someone who doesn't know how to grade and wants a nice copy within the given grade or it's someone who thinks the book has a shot at upgrade (imagine, someone may have done the homework for them) IF they are still fetching more money than comparable copies then the stickers are working.

I think the books are working. The stickers are incidental.

Another "superior example" of a miscut book. Ok, I officially don't feel sorry for anyone who puts this garbage on their books. If you are dense enough to actually think that this service is worth it, you deserve to be parted with your money.

Roy, isn't it possible that those books are fetching more at auction because the bidders recognize that the book appears exceptional for the grade? Some of us do pay a premium for copies that present nicely for the grade, regardless of whether it has a CVA sticker or not.

Whether it's someone who doesn't know how to grade and wants a nice copy within the given grade or it's someone who thinks the book has a shot at upgrade (imagine, someone may have done the homework for them) IF they are still fetching more money than comparable copies then the stickers are working.

agreed, and if people are either making more money getting the stickers or even believe they are making more money, CVA will become a part of the comic book marketplace and we will see all the post of people getting the kudos for landing the sweet CVA copy of book X.

Hasn't the market spoken on eye appeal simply by books that are well centered and having white pages selling at premiums.

Truth be told, I would give my opinion as there are a lot more people that only care about the number on the label and not eye appeal so much.

Isn't this the point when someone chimes in about how you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig?

It certainly is.

That's because you have a trained eye and taste.

Some people have neither and pay someone else to make the choice for them.

I wonder, if CVA copies start to upgrade on a consistent basis, or at least more consistently than non CVA books how that will affect bidding.

That's because you have a trained eye and taste.

Some people have neither and pay someone else to make the choice for them.

I wonder, if CVA copies start to upgrade on a consistent basis, or at least more consistently than non CVA books how that will affect bidding.

You're missing the point, Roy.

If CVA had access to the book prior to it being slabbed - so they could truly render a decision as to whether a book is "exceptional" for its grade or not, that would be different. But they don't - they simply look at the book through the slab and throw out a half-assed verdict, with no regard for any interior defects or things that may not be immediately visible through the plastic.

Pretending that books are selling for higher amounts due to the CVA sticker is silly - these books are selling because they're good looking books which is something that has always carried a premium.

If CVA had access to the book prior to it being slabbed - so they could truly render a decision as to whether a book is "exceptional" for its grade or not, that would be different. But they don't - they simply look at the book through the slab and throw out a half-assed verdict, with no regard for any interior defects or things that may not be immediately visible through the plastic.

Pretending that books are selling for higher amounts due to the CVA sticker is silly - these books are selling because they're good looking books which is something that has always carried a premium.

Oh, I get the point.

I'm just staying that if the books with the stickers end up selling for more (and someone said that they are) then the stickers will catch on for sellers.

Oh, I get the point.

I'm just staying that if the books with the stickers end up selling for more (and someone said that they are) then the stickers will catch on for sellers.

And I'm saying that the books would sell for more with our without the stickers. So yes, it's going to appear that books with CVA stickers are selling for more, but actually it's the book making the sale, not the sticker.

Not necessarily true, as not all (very few?) books with exceptional eye appeal have the CVA sticker. So it would be possible (tho difficult) to show that CVA stickered books sell for more than other "eye appeal" books. I have a feeling that the CVA sticker (I am not currently a fan) does increase sale price, even amongst those buyers who outwardly reject its validity.

Oh, I get the point.

[font:Times New Roman]Sorry Roy, but I disagree (and you know how I hate to do that)! :gossip:

Surface stickers don't supply any new information and the subjectivity of such a limited value once over is even more likely to result in disappointment if the opinion of what is considered visually exceptional by CVA grader(s) isn't shared by the winner of the book.

Also, how can one determine with any degree of certainty that a particular book is selling for more with the sticker? It isn't something that can be evaluated for objectivity unless two books of the same grade are sold in the same auction, one with a sticker, one without. Of course, that would probably deflate the realized prices of both, but at least they could be compared.

Finally, if this does catch on ...which is highly unlikely, IMO... then I'd watch for CGC to offer a similar add-on service to their tier pricing with the "exceptional" notation being on the label where it can't be tampered with. Hey, that's what I'd do if I were calling the shots. I'd wait and see how the cards fell, then follow suit if sufficient interest evolved. It's just good business sense.

Just my 2c . [/font]

To me, price or value is a matter of confidence and if CVA is perceived as gaining traction, it will affect sales prices much like certification itself did. The effects can be psychological. It's already a service that is provided in other fields. Like I said, I don't use them nor do I plan to but I'm happy to agree to disagree folks. Not a big deal either way.

To me, price or value is a matter of confidence and if CVA is perceived as gaining traction, it will affect sales prices much like certification itself did. The effects can be psychological. It's already a service that is provided in other fields. Like I said, I don't use them nor do I plan to but I'm happy to agree to disagree folks. Not a big deal either way.

[font:Times New Roman]I completely see your point, Roy and agree. From my perspective it's still a pointless service and I suspect the psychological impact will have a diminishing return for both dealers and serious collectors after the new wears off.[/font]

Ah well, we'll see.

Like I said earlier, some people like when someone else does the work for them. We're a demand feed, convenience oriented society now.

I won what looks to be a beautifuly presenting 9.0, but it had no CVA sticker.

It was not a big $$ book (closed at $71 I think).

Were they just doing the CVA thing (where books were stickered as a promotion) on higher $$ books in the CLink auction?

I will be curious to see if my 9.0 has some problems on the back side (dirty/staining) cause it is one well centered book

It is a weird Ven diagram where all well presenting books do not have CVA stickers, but some less than well presenting books DO have CVA stickers.

So the presence of a CVA sticker does not necessarily mean a book is well presenting/best of its class (for the grade) and (since there is not widespread adoption) the LACK of a CVA sticker does not mean a book is not a well presenting version of the book...

At some level, that is the true beauty of their system. If a book doesn't have the sticker is it because it is not CVA worthy or is it because it wasn't submitted. Guess you will just have to submit it and find out. SHould people disclose if a book was submitted and didn't meet the CVA standard hm:insane:

Not necessarily true, as not all (very few?) books with exceptional eye appeal have the CVA sticker. So it would be possible (tho difficult) to show that CVA stickered books sell for more than other "eye appeal" books. I have a feeling that the CVA sticker (I am not currently a fan) does increase sale price, even amongst those buyers who outwardly reject its validity.

Exactly, CGC slaps a 9.8 on a NM comic and suddenly the speculators drive the price up by 10X, yet these same people are unaffected by a CVA Exceptional sticker? doh!

Are these guys still in business? I just saw a book on eBay that had a CVA sticker despite having cream-to-off-white pages. I mean, wtf?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Spangled-Comics-83-CVA-Exceptional-DC-1948-CGC-NM-9-4-/151728910744?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2353bf7198

This discussion is moot as I don't think CVA is still in business but on rare occasion I have seen a CR/OW book that looks very fresh with a bright, white, Back cover. If this example was such a book, perhaps it is exceptional. I didn't see a BC scan in the listing.