• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey when is Silver Age going to Crash?

441 posts in this topic

I don't know about anyone else, but I am having very little luck getting any early to mid Silver-Age books unless I'm paying well above average prices. confused.gif

Good luck find any early TOS, TTA, JIM, ST at average prices in 9.0 or better. Oh, and if you do, leave me the scraps.

cloud9.gif

Not sure that it will be a crash but I expect a major correction anytime now. Things have been skyrocketing for about a year now and nothing goes up forever. Besides - look at the census. Right now, Spidey due to the movie is the hottest thing going. There are 20 issues graded in the 9.0 or better slot for #1, 32 issues 9.0 or better for #3, 23 issues for the very "rare" #11, and 85 issues for #14! Now a 9.0 #1 goes for over $20,000 - how many folks are in this for the long haul rgularly buying comics costing over $2000 a piece? I think supply, demand , and nutty pricing are about to have a train wreck. And I still have a huge collection and am still buying good books - like that FF 53 9.4 from you - but I think it would be wise to be conservative. I see a lot of Spidey 14 9.4s around for instance being offered at $8000 to $10,000 - but I don't see a lot of takers. CGC has only been around like 4 years now and there are far more high grade issues around than I believed there were. So unless you have the money to blow or unless the hobby is really expanding to bring the true believers, I would be careful.

Actually, the only title in plentiful supply is Amazing Spider-Man.

That's pretty much the main reason I'm not buying that title, because I feel I can get those books almost anytime for the right price. But look at dealers website and they are almost barren of the other titles pre-1965.

I agree. I keep looking for mid HG Spidies (9.0s and 9.2s) for upgrades at reasonable prices...but feel comfortable waiting until such point in time that the swelling census lowers the prices. But Im talking about issues from 16 to 100 which to my middle-aged, been there mind are "commons" not worth the huge 9.4 multiples they still sell for.

I agree. I keep looking for mid HG Spidies (9.0s and 9.2s) for upgrades at reasonable prices...but feel comfortable waiting until such point in time that the swelling census lowers the prices. But Im talking about issues from 16 to 100 which to my middle-aged, been there mind are "commons" not worth the huge 9.4 multiples they still sell for.

ASM is COMMON compared to most other titles. Yes, there are a few issues that are hard to get, but in general, if you look at enough dealers websites, you could probably buy a run from 1-100 in CGC 9.0 or higher. Yes, you would pay top dollar, but they are available.

The other two title that are the next easiest would be Daredevil and X-Men and that's because they started later (X-Men 1963 and Daredevil 1964). And both of those were only published every two months for awhile so by the time you are past the first ten issues, you are into 1965.

Actually most Marvel superhero comics are Not rare in any grade - I don't have time to examine evrey title in the census but please look thru it for proof. For instance, there are over 20 copies of #1 in 9.0 or better and many copies of the other very popular issues like 4, 12, 16 etc. A #1 in 9.0 goes for $10,000 - so how many collectors are there that can or would pay $10,000 or more for a comic? And I am not talking about the quick buck flippers or the buy and resell dealers. FF1 is pretty tough with under 10 copies in 9.0 or better and I am sure 11 and 13 numbers are low too but besides those there appear to be plenty of copies in the near mint range from 9.0 up to go around. Same with Journey and Suspense other than a few issues. I guess it depends on how you define rare. None of the big ticket bronze books are hard to find like X-men 94, Hulk 181 or Spidey 129 or even Spotlight 5 but they continue to sell for pretty much undeservedly high prices. Dealers I talk to are hoping for even greater spreads between grade prices - like a 9.6 selling for 10x 9.4s etc. That may happen if people are dumb enough to pay that much more for a book that it is .2 better than near mint, but those folks will always justify the money by telling you how rare that book is - it is exponentially more rare and expensive thanks to the coin hobby mentality that grading has brought to comics.

How about when is the BA crash coming? Ppl are selling hi-grade Cgc'd copies of "common" bks like Hulk 181, X-men 94 & then buying mid-grade, unrestored copies of ASM 1, FF 1. 10 yrs ago, u would have been laughed at if u offered to trade a dealer your Hulk 181 NM straight up for a mid-grade FF #1. 893whatthe.gif

And I still have a huge collection and am still buying good books - like that FF 53 9.4 from you - but I think it would be wise to be conservative.

If your last month's worth of ebay purchases are what you'd call conservative, I'd hate to see you on a spending spree! There wouldn't be any books left for the rest of us. smirk.gif You spent more on that one book you bought recently than over half of the forum members here have spent on comics in their entire lifetime. blush.gif

Actually most Marvel superhero comics are Not rare in any grade - I don't have time to examine evrey title in the census but please look thru it for proof

Never said they were rare. But a lot of the books I'm looking forward aren't available for sale. ASM, X-Men and Daredevil are pretty much the exception titles. Also, FF after 34 seem to come up for sale a lot.

The reason I sold the FF #53 CGC 9.4 (thanks) was because I noticed that there are several copies available on other websites. Yes, the ask prices are higher than my final sale price, but I realized that this would be a book I could buy back again, anytime (at a higher price). There are other books that I want that just don't seem to be available at all.

Also, FF after 34 seem to come up for sale a lot.

It's so hit-and-miss with the individual issues that it's hard to pick a single issue and just say everything after that one comes up for sale a lot. Many issues after 34 do, but 36, 39, 40, 43, 45, 50, 51, 56, 65, and 70 don't. Hard to say why certain issues are harder to find than others.

Well the Spidey 1 was a surprise! I had bid my top bid 5 days prior to auction end and gave up after being outbid by like 4 people. I did not even look at again until it was over with - and all the folks that beat me were somehow removed. I had actually committed to some other deals so I immediately called the seller and told him that I would need some time to pay and he was nice to deal with luckily. But that brings one thing to mind about ebay bidding - you have to watch out for those crazy thrill bidders! I wonder if his big bid on the Fantasy 15 came thru - that seemed like a crazy price for that book. But hey, Metropolis has a Spidey 1 for $29,000 and an FF 1 8.5 for $32,000! Maybe ComicLink should start a thread asking if anyone in their right minds would pay those prices? I have been lucky to have the money to do these deals but am also selling a few things to finance the deal. I thought the Spidey 1 9.0 had great ivestment potential as do most of the 1st appearances - even though it was a lot of money. I could justify the price in my mind and relate the price to the guide. I still think 9.0s and 9.2s are safe bets if the price stays around guide - I think paying nutty prices for the 9.4s and up is where things get risky. I think when things do "correct" that prices will come back to guide or maybe a bit less. Right now it looks like a few people with enough money not to care are buy the ultra high grade books, some newbies sucked in by movie hype, and a lot of Europeans - but I don't think a lot of long time collectors are paying 10x guide for books etc.

Well the Spidey 1 was a surprise! I had bid my top bid 5 days prior to auction end and gave up after being outbid by like 4 people. I did not even look at again until it was over with - and all the folks that beat me were somehow removed.

This seems to be happening a lot lately on eBay. Bidding crazy numbers and then pulling the bid seems to be the current method of choice for finding out what the reserve is. Is there no penalty to a bidder for pulling his bid?

Also, FF after 34 seem to come up for sale a lot.

It's so hit-and-miss with the individual issues that it's hard to pick a single issue and just say everything after that one comes up for sale a lot. Many issues after 34 do, but 36, 39, 40, 43, 45, 50, 51, 56, 65, and 70 don't. Hard to say why certain issues are harder to find than others.

I can say for the fact that he's right about most of those issues. I recently acquired a nice 36. But I've been looking to upgrade my 56 and it has been awhile -- There was one in 9.0 but it had tanning on the cover.

It is kinda weird, isn't it?

I recently did a trade with a U.K. based forumite, and one of the books involved was this #56. A tough book in grade, but this really was a stunning copy. I purchased it raw from one of the London shows a couple of years ago.

563849-fantasticfour56frontcgc94.jpg

563849-fantasticfour56frontcgc94.jpg.15e9a80657c503714d4ebdb74e979250.jpg