• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unca Harlan's Collection

23 posts in this topic

These are finally starting to come back from CGC, so had to share: The Harlan Ellison Collection.

Thanks to Harlan, his lovely wife Susan, and Jud Meyers for putting this deal together. These are Harlan's books, so they're well-loved, some have incredible grades, some not so much. Harlan is a supreme collector of "stuff"...a total completists, so I was able to pick up complete runs, Marvel's major silver age books, bronze keys, a handful of DCs, alternative/underground comics, and all the comics Harlan's had a hand in as a creator. (Harlan had some of the books restored by Classics Inc over the years).

HarlanCollection1.JPG

HarlanCollection2.JPG

HarlanCollection3.JPG

HarlanCollection4.JPG

The CGC books have the Harlan provenance on the label, but he also signed certificates for all the major books.

Love him? Hate him? The guy has had a lifelong love affair with comics. (Even has a room in his house dedicated to Will Eisner).

Are these all Original Owner? (i.e Harlan went down to the drug store/newstand to buy them)

According to Harlan they are. But...then again, according to Harlan he rode his bike to the corner newsstand in Painesville, Ohio and bought them, defended them from neighborhood bullies out to kick his , took said comics home, read them, drooled over them--but that's why I love Harlan.

He definitely has an emotional investment in his comics.

That's awesome.

Now maybe he can finish editing that Science Fiction anthology or at least return the rights to the original writers.

You know, the one from four decades ago.

Are these all Original Owner? (i.e Harlan went down to the drug store/newstand to buy them)
(shrug)

I just didnt realize that "Collections" got the notations both at center and at the right.. seems like they keep changing their mind...

Does this mean that there will be a CGC copy of The Demon With a Glass Hand?

I'd love to get a book from this collection. HE gave a speech at a dinner I attended one time about being a comic collector. It was at the Diamond dealers con dinner and it bordered on calling out the whole industry for threatening to kill collecting. It was riveting. Wish I could have met him that night.

He's got tons of GA books too. We paid him in GA comics whenever he came to the Chicago Con. Of all the pros I've met over the years, he's one of my all-time favorites. A real original and a man who refuses to take mess from anyone. God bless him.

He's got tons of GA books too. We paid him in GA comics whenever he came to the Chicago Con. Of all the pros I've met over the years, he's one of my all-time favorites. A real original and a man who refuses to take mess from anyone. God bless him.

Paid in GA comics. I love that.

He has some deal with Marvel where he gets a copy of everything they publish for the rest of his life, so he has more moderns than he knows what to do with. I think the deal was in relation to them using one of his stories without credit.

Not a bad deal.