• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth

3,780 posts in this topic

YES! And I hope there is not a Peter Panzerfaust type of premeditated and openly discussed 25 issue run/5 arc plan 8 issues into the story (PP = awesome) ...***I**** personally think it creates a tapering off of interest/readership as the book gets closer to the end (let the tomatoes fly..I know they be a cummin). GRANTED, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I like when deaths of character come out of nowhere and we are not clued in/tipped weeks in advance of a planned death...or the ending of a particular book. Feels awesome when it comes out of nowhere and for ME at least..that includes the ending of a titled book. What's this got to do with the price of wool in Ireland? Just hope to see a funny..and obviously VERY creative story like TODD run amok for a good long while without giving away its final end (PP 25 issues), (The Sixth Gun MAYBE 55 issues+), etc. You're the creators Ken/M.K and will just be happy to continue reading along and put my 2 cents back in the pocket to stay for good...I'll just shut up and be happy to see more and sit on my hands waiting for ish #3.

"Note to self - It's now ongoing man. Things are just a startin kid. Shut the spoon up! Chill. Stir. And. Enjoy." lol

Creator owned rules!

Back to work for a few days!

Chineseeeeeee

This is interesting. So the PP folks announced their series was limited to 5 arcs / 25 issues? How does everyone else feel about knowing the creators are going to bail out after a 25 month seduction into their world? Does it make you want to avoid the book? Or, conversely, does it entice you because you're going into it with a clear understanding of the length of your commitment?

Ken,

in December i think it was, the writer of PP began posting on these boards. he proceeded to tell us about how poor the book was selling month-to-month and that if things didnt pick up, the book was on the verge of being cancelled. i believe this was after #6 was out. the book was not selling and he spoke of bring home $400 a month for his effort.

of course then the "TV show hype" started, and then everyone loved the book, shooting the pricing to where it is now.

Hey Ken -

I pre-ordered 2-4 a few weeks back and just finished two recently. Good premise. I'm along for the ride.

I hope we (Boardies) don't abuse having you around.. Just avoid 500 print limited variants and I think you'll be golden :grin:

It's a pleasure (thumbs u

Hey Ken -

I pre-ordered 2-4 a few weeks back and just finished two recently. Good premise. I'm along for the ride.

I hope we (Boardies) don't abuse having you around.. Just avoid 500 print limited variants and I think you'll be golden :grin:

It's a pleasure (thumbs u

Hear ye Hear ye!! :thumbsup:

Dear Ken,

Just to give you a little bit more of a verbose response (tpb ;) ). From the beginning Kurtis had set the book to be 24 (i guess 25??) issues in length.

The secondary market fell in love with the book when the BBC news dropped last june, and prices spiked. However, all of that was focused on resales of issue 1. The print run of the book continued to languish.

Kurtis announced on these boards that the book might not even make it to the end due to sales figures. Many of the series' fans here pleaded with him to continue, as well as pushing people to get it on pull lists, calling their LCS's to order it, buying up other issues as well.

Kurtis eventually reposted, due to the strong support/feedback, and after getting a positive response from the artist, that they would complete the book regardless of them basically doing it for free.

The secondary market, especially Saga, saw big boosts after Christmas. In addition PP#1 started to set new highs on ebay. The record prices, plus the growing support, plus some strong price jumps on issue 8 on the secondary market (with an all black cover hard to get in 9.8, plus the arrival of hook, and still the low print run ) saw interest in the book reach a frenzy.

Kurtis let us know that the increase in orders would catch on issue 10, but were too late for 9. This made even more of a secondary market frenzy as people tried to track down 9.

So, with the rising sales number, and the ground swell of attention on the book, some people asked Kurtis if it would be possible to extend the story. A good podcast interview posted to the PP thread has him being asked this very question.

To it he replies, and I paraphrase, Green Wake was extended beyond his original story. Eventually falling sales cut it short, and he didnt get to end it the way he wanted. With PP he wants to make sure the story he intended to tell is told properly, and ends the way he originally planned.

From a primary market standpoint, I havent seen anyone losing interest in wanting to read the book because of the fixed ending. From a secondary market standpoint, the debate continues.

In the case of other books, I think as long as the author has a story to tell and people like the book, they will keep buying. Everyone always prefers an ongoing series and whether a book's end date is known or unknown, as long as its quality doesn't falter, people will continue to be happy.

Edited by CBT

Which one is you?

glasses, black shirt

Looks different than I expected him to look (shrug)

IM HANGING LOOSE WITH ALL OF THESE HAITIANS

IM SMOKING OUT THAT GOOD JAMAICANNNNN

Which one is you?

glasses, black shirt

Looks different than I expected him to look (shrug)

IM HANGING LOOSE WITH ALL OF THESE HAITIANS

IM SMOKING OUT THAT GOOD JAMAICANNNNN

:roflmao:

I WOKE UP IN A NEW BUGATTIII