• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Key Issues

47 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to comic collecting, and I mainly buy ASM for my personal collection. I'm trying to branch out with some newer key issues that have potential to increase in value. I was wondering, with all of the Marvel Now #1s being released this week and the next, which first issues would be good to pick up? There are so many, so I'm not sure which ones are worth getting. Please give me any help/advice you have. I knowno modern #1 is going to shoot up to $100+. For example, the Nightwing and Batman New 52 #1s are like $20-30. So thanks for any help you can offer!

Chase

If I had to bet money, one or two, but probably none.

If anything buy something from a creative team you like or you know is good for putting out a great comic book. People will pay for what is actually good.

I would say that the best way to find good "bets" and not be left with a lot of is to browse sites like CBR and see what new titles are getting high reviews or what titles are getting highly reviewed new creative teams. Quality sells pretty well and holds value.

Image first issues are where it is at.

Which Image comics are good to get? I know Revival is Image, as someone has already mentioned that title. I'm not sure of any others except ones that are already high (Walking Dead, Theif of Thieves, etc.)

If your talking about investment potential I would stick with comics with low print runs and good stories. Most of them are being produced by IMAGE. The hottest one's right now are:

The Walking Dead

SAGA

Thief of Thieves

Peter Panzerfaust

NoWhere Men

Revival

All of the above had low print runs and are currently super hot on EBAY. Hope this helps.

If your talking about investment potential I would stick with comics with low print runs and good stories. Most of them are being produced by IMAGE. The hottest one's right now are:

The Walking Dead

SAGA

Thief of Thieves

Peter Panzerfaust

NoWhere Men

Revival

All of the above had low print runs and are currently super hot on EBAY. Hope this helps.

Is Nowhere Men really on here? I know it's a hot book, but it's three issues in. Whatever happened to the first story arc rule?

Thanks for all the help so far, everyone. Does everybody think Peter Panzerfaust, Theif of Thieves, and Saga will continue to go up in value? They already seem pretty high. I was wondering about that because I would hate to overpay when it's a hot item, then have it drop after awhile.

As for Bedlam, Revival, and Nowhere Men - they seem to be decently priced right now, if they have potential to rise. I've been trying to research and find these comics everyone is listing.

Thanks for all the help!

You can add Badlam to that list, although I wouldn't say Saga had a low print run.

Yea good point. I think SAGA #1 had a print run of 37,641 so that's not low in comparison to other IMAGE titles. Still I'm sure it's low compared to what DC and Marvel produces.

Is Nowhere Men really on here? I know it's a hot book, but it's three issues in. Whatever happened to the first story arc rule?

I think "raw" #1's are selling for around 40-50 bones. A 9.8 CGC will probably fetch a Franklin. The comic has taken off. I went to 5 LCS at lunch yesterday and only 1 had issue #3 which just came out that day. Of course the one shop that had it only had 3 for sale and they were maybe a 9.2.

I'm telling you guys it's very frustrating going to a LCS when it opens on Wednesday and not being able to find any 9.8 candidates. This is the problem with collecting IMAGE titles. Besides the Walking Dead it seems the LCS don't purchase a lot of product.