• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My old Suscha News ASM - now a 9.9 ???

117 posts in this topic

What some of you don't realize is that there are folks in the hobby who have handled enough 9.9 and 10 books to know what one looks like. In addition, a lot of these folks submit enough to recognize fluctuations in CGC's grading. There are folks out there that would see this and realize it was an opportunity and be willing to take a shot. As a 9.8, this issue has been a falling knife for 2-3 years. You can't re-sell one for a profit. As a 9.9, though, heck, it only costs $50 to run it through CFP and take a shot at $10,000 in profit.

Sorry but this is giving out wrong information.

No one cracks out 9.8's to then resub for 9.9's or 10.0's.

The only time where I see knowledgeable graders think they can get a 9.9 or 10.0 is all on new modern books, and those books are usually the cherry picked chromium or heavy front/back cover paper stock issues.

A good HG grader knows when to expect a book is 9.6 and 9.8 because there is a easy clear cut difference between all the HG grading categories. (9.0-9.8)

However nothing I have seen since the year 2000 from any book or grader I have learned from has showed me a clear and guaranteed way to know when a book is 9.9 or 10.0.

A 9.9 or 10.0 I believe is a really nice 9.8 that CGC feels like giving a higher grade that on that particular grading day. (shrug)

I have seen countless 9.9's and 10.0's with an obvious defect that should have kicked the book out of those ranges without question.

I said earlier I am getting the vibe from at least the post-1980 era over the past year that CGC has maybe loosened their grading standards up just a little so that they can give out 9.9's a tad more than before. Which I think is a good thing actually. I have graded and seen many 9.8's that absolutely blow away other 9.8's of that same issue, but yet they remain in a 9.8 holder.

Many of the best graders in the hobby that submit to CGC are usually never surprised when they receive their books back graded. I would love to see a day where what you said I have in bold actually is achievable in the future.

and...it really is impossible to prove or be sure there actually is a miswrap in there until it gets a CVA label, I would be all excited to get it back and see if there is one! Hope we see the result!!!

Exactly, without the CVA label how are we supposed to tell the quality of the wrap! :eek:

Here's what a magazine in my office looks like, newsstand-fresh:

unpressed.jpg

Here's what an old magazine in my office looks like after it's been sitting under a pile of magazines for a year or more:

pressed.jpg

This is what pressing does to books...

So piling your comics in a vertical stack is the same as pressing? :baiting:

and...it really is impossible to prove or be sure there actually is a miswrap in there until it gets a CVA label, I would be all excited to get it back and see if there is one! Hope we see the result!!!

Exactly, without the CVA label how are we supposed to tell the quality of the wrap! :eek:

Here's what a magazine in my office looks like, newsstand-fresh:

unpressed.jpg

Here's what an old magazine in my office looks like after it's been sitting under a pile of magazines for a year or more:

pressed.jpg

This is what pressing does to books...

So piling your comics in a vertical stack is the same as pressing? :baiting:

Exactly, both squash the book and make it something less than it was when it was "newsstand fresh" as can clearly be seen in my examples. :(

Sure, I guess if half the cover is missing, it doesn't qualify for a 9.9, right?

That's your definition of "taking production defects into consideration"? :lol:

You always resort to exaggeration when you're wrong rather than admit that maybe someone else might be right.

A 9.9 or 10.0 I believe is a really nice 9.8 that CGC feels like giving a higher grade that on that particular grading day. (shrug)

I have seen countless 9.9's and 10.0's with an obvious defect that should have kicked the book out of those ranges without question.

Serious_Nod_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif

I said earlier I am getting the vibe from at least the post-1980 era over the past year that CGC has maybe loosened their grading standards up just a little so that they can give out 9.9's a tad more than before.

smiley_nah.gif

:(

Which I think is a good thing actually. I have graded and seen many 9.8's that absolutely blow away other 9.8's of that same issue, but yet they remain in a 9.8 holder.

Serious_Nod_Smiley_by_Mirz123.gif

:mad:

Just from my experience in sports cards and a couple 9.9s in my collection. It says mint not perfect. If gem mint was the 9.9 and pristine is the 10 then It would make sense. Most sports cards getting PSA 9s which is mint have many small defects. As for the spiderman here I wouldn't buy it because of the miswrap. Especially with its price at 4700. Just wouldn't want it in my collection or deal with trying to sell. If it presents nicer then yes. Also I don't have 4700 to spend on any book right now. So comparing cards to comics yes this book would be mint. But Comics are completely different. Thats my 2!!

I don't believe for a moment that anyone tried to get a 9.8 upgraded. If anything it's probably as Dice said, they had it regraded because the case was cracked or scuffed and it happened to get a bump up. The only other plausible explanation would be an 'inside job', and I wouldn't like to imply that.

The idea that someone would press a bronze 9.8 and resub for a 9.9 is ridiculous for several reasons. Firstly, it is so unlikely to work that you'd be a fool to try it. Secondly a press would (should) negate the possiblity of a 9.9. I don't care what the pressers say, pressing damages the book even as it smooths out blemishes. The paper fibres tell the story. Pressing does not magically restore paper, it squashes it. How could squashed paper qualify for the 'untouched by human hands' 9.9? It can't.

So I (naively) don't think this book has been pressed. I would (naively) guess that someone got lucky without trying while resubbing for other reasons.

Yeah, monkeys put them in boxes after they're printed. (thumbs u

Damn! That explains a lot! :idea:

It does not surprise me someone would try it, no risk, no reward? I sold a 9.6 Mile High copy back in 2002 and the buyer cracked it out and pressed it hoping to get a 9.8.

Did he succeed? hm

It does not surprise me someone would try it, no risk, no reward? I sold a 9.6 Mile High copy back in 2002 and the buyer cracked it out and pressed it hoping to get a 9.8.

Did he succeed? hm

Probably not, especially if Timely was the one who graded it during the re-sub. :insane: