• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC Fanatic Appreciation Weird Thread of Terror

346 posts in this topic

Very impressive score, Cheetah! As you know better than anyone, the Tales from the Crypt 36-up are tough in high grade as not many are changing hands lately, and even the Gaines copies are not always above 9.0.

If you're done with your run, maybe the rest of us will have a chance. lol.

The Canadian EC's (Superior) seem pretty rare. Is anyone sitting on high grade CGC copies of those? All I ever see are low grade copies online.

DG

They do seem scarce, but demand for them is low, which may explain it to an extent. There's far less interest because they are inferior - the printing and paper quality of the Canadian E.C.s just isn't as good as the U.S. editions.

I really wish EC had left the Ghoulunatics off of their covers, especially Graham Ingels' covers. These covers would have a lot more impact without them mesing up the scene.

Some ec's from the vault:

993676-hof17.jpg

One of the all time best(not just the cover, but the story that goes with it).

The Canadian EC's (Superior) seem pretty rare. Is anyone sitting on high grade CGC copies of those? All I ever see are low grade copies online.

DG

They do seem scarce, but demand for them is low, which may explain it to an extent. There's far less interest because they are inferior - the printing and paper quality of the Canadian E.C.s just isn't as good as the U.S. editions.

That's saying something, considering ECs are printed on the same low-grade crappy pulp as every other American comic book.

If you're done with your run, maybe the rest of us will have a chance. lol.

+1

Congrats Jeff! I've been putting together my run for 3 years now and am still 6 short, so I know what an accomplishment it is :applause:

Now do we get to see a group shot?

DG

I know that is the general consensus, but I own a war comic that Superior published and I find the paper quality to be quite acceptable. Surely, high grade copes are out there. Surely, the scarcity would interest completists who already own sets of the American version.

I'm interested in any Superior EC reprints.

I'm interested in any Arnold Book Company reprints,

I've even done a few online searches for Top Flight Comics #1 (St. John) that reprints EC's funny animal stories.

I think they are really neat.

DG

DG

That's saying something, considering ECs are printed on the same low-grade crappy pulp as every other American comic book.

EC did experiment with having Charlton do the first printing of Impact #1 (White title logo). It was recalled. Bill Gaines felt Charlton's publishing was inferior to who they'd been using. I don't have a problem with it. I own a copy.

DG

DG

EC did experiment with having Charlton do the first printing of Impact #1 (White title logo). It was recalled. Bill Gaines felt Charlton's publishing was inferior to who they'd been using. I don't have a problem with it. I own a copy.

DG

I can't speak to the quality of the Canadian editions, but I definitely can on the Impact 1. I've got both versions of this book, and the interior printing quality of the "Charlton" first version is inferior. The red plate is misaligned, causing red to be outside the lines throughout the book, the blacks ink appears to be running light with a lot of print fade. All the "crispness" of the artwork is dulled. I can see why Gaines was unhappy.

DG

DG

I can't speak to the quality of the Canadian editions, but I definitely can on the Impact 1. I've got both versions of this book, and the interior printing quality of the "Charlton" first version is inferior. The red plate is misaligned, causing red to be outside the lines throughout the book, the blacks ink appears to be running light with a lot of print fade. All the "crispness" of the artwork is dulled. I can see why Gaines was unhappy.

I'll have to check mine out again and see if the same problems exist as you describe. As a general rule I'd agree that Charlton was an inferior printer. When I looked at mine initially, I didn't see any specific problems that bothered me.

DG

I've got a bunch of ECs, and out of register color is a common feature, just like all other '50s comics. It was just expected that a press run of 300,000+ would go out of register at least once during the run.