• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charity auction (yes... again)

34 posts in this topic

I just wanted to publicly announce that I will be donating every penny brought in from my Stand Up 2 Cancer charity auction

I now realize that it was a little confusing, and I may have unintentionally mis-lead bidders

Some bidding may have gotten so high because bidders thought 100% of their bid was being donated. That wasn't the case, but it is now

A total of $2260 will be sent in during the live telecast in September.

Thanks again for everyone's generosity :applause:

I just wanted to publicly announce that I will be donating every penny brought in from my Stand Up 2 Cancer charity auction

I now realize that it was a little confusing, and I may have unintentionally mis-lead bidders

Some bidding may have gotten so high because bidders thought 100% of their bid was being donated. That wasn't the case, but it is now

:golfclap:

Will be sent In September

thats 8 months away.

Why not send it now?

Will be sent In September

thats 8 months away.

Why not send it now?

I'm also curious why you don't send it in now. They can use the money

for research grants, and researchers. Sitting on these donations is

not helping to find the cure.

My Father, and Aunt passed from Cancer, and a good friend of mine is

currently undergoing his fifth year of treatment of cancer of the brain. Every

penny you good people donated will help now.

My friends, family, and myself give to various Cancer research Charities, and

all money we raised/ raise through donations during the year ( including Stand

up 2 Cancer ) goes to these Charities as soon as the money is raised.

Actually the number is $2310 (thumbs u

I was planning on doing a few more of the in the next few months, and make 1 big donation in September. But obviously not now.

Anyone who won a lot would be more than welcome to see a copy of the receipt.

I can PM a link to anyone who was involved in last years raffle to the Star I launched in my Mother In-Laws name.

Bobs already accused me of being a liar, so I'm surprised it took this long for him to chime in.

Bobs already accused me of being a liar, so I'm surprised it took this long for him to chime in.

Although I don't even personally know Dan, I have no doubt of his good will. It is a noble and worthy cause he is undertaking. (worship)

He certainly has my vote of confidence. (thumbs u

I was the 2nd highest bidder on the auctions. I think Dan was perfectly upfront in his description when he said he was donating the profits. That's what he meant, the profits. Perhaps some of us were interpreting what those profits would be on our own. None of us knew how much he spent on the books, I know I never asked..

After the comments on the first thread, he offered to let me make a check out directly to Stand up to Cancer and that's good enough for me, but I already sent him a check and I trust him.

He said he was doing this in memory of his mom...and I believe him.

Despite what some of my friends think, I really don't trust everyone, ...I have had a long career dealing with people who can be less than truthful, so you get a sense of who is...I think he's genuine and this auction was done with perfectly good intentions.

He was excited about calling in to the telethon...and that's understandable, too...but perhaps he can contact them and confirm when it is, if it's not this year then I will hope he'll make a donation sooner.

These threads seem increasingly complex. So for anyone interested, here you go:

standup2cancer.org/donate

su2c-logo.gif

donate-burst.gif

More Ways To Donate - Web/Phone/Mail

Great post. I just clicked the link and did my small bit and would hope others will do the same. Cancer can be beaten.

Spider-dan, I have no doubt your heart is in the right place. Perhaps you made a few mistakes in execution but thanks for making a difference.

I am with Blu - have no idea why people would be harsh on Dan here.....

I would have suggested Dan just donate the profits since that was his intent and he did disclose it clearly in the thread.......but, if he can afford to donate more and it's a good cause, then why not.

To ask the guy to post a copy of the receipt? That's a bit cold (of course he would know that it's the right thing to do); maybe a PM would have been better there?

I find there to be so much hate on these boards sometime, makes me wonder WTF people get so riled up about. Yes, there are many less-than-ethical people in this business (MANY), but that's probably true of any business/hobby/etc -- isn't it better to trust sometimes?

Let me share something i read the other day that was powerful for me and hope it helps you reflect too:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments

that take our breath away."

Big Mud Puddles and Sunny Yellow Dandelions

Author Unknown

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds

that are going to take over my yard.

My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can

wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me , I see a

smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look

away.

My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back .

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't

have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen.

My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words.

If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it

messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk .

My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until

they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me

that.

My kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends.

Please keep the bad dreams away tonight . Sorry, I don't want

to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle I step around it . I see muddy shoes

and dirty carpets.

My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and

worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from ? No

wonder God loves the little children!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back

and realize they were the big things.

Although I don't even personally know Dan, I have no doubt of his good will. It is a noble and worthy cause he is undertaking. (worship)

He certainly has my vote of confidence.

My post had to do with the pleasure donators get from the expression of gratitude from the charity.

Your reaction, Dan, seems more than a wee bit on the defensive side. For instance, I've never called you a liar. Indeed, my post had less to do with you and much more with the generous donors on these boards. The point remains that charities send out for tax purposes thank you notes acknowledging a donor's generosity, and I'm sure all of the generous donors on these boards contributing in your charity threads would enjoy seeing their recognition by Stand Up. Posting it for them would do that, and should be a standard and uplifting way to conclude any board charity thread.

Finally, it provides a tax receipt for said donors that they may appreciate having for the IRS. The tax benefits of charitable donations are an important factor driving further donations.

Dan I'm glad you are doing this,kudos to you and all the board members who are donating.I have just recently found out that I have prostate cancer,and have to decide what avenue I will take to remedy this,it sucks when someone tells you that you have the big C.I don't want it to ever get in the way of my life though.

Let me share something i read the other day that was powerful for me and hope it helps you reflect too:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments

that take our breath away."

Big Mud Puddles and Sunny Yellow Dandelions

Author Unknown

When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds

that are going to take over my yard.

My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can

wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me , I see a

smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look

away.

My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back .

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't

have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen.

My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words.

If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it

messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk .

My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until

they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me

that.

My kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends.

Please keep the bad dreams away tonight . Sorry, I don't want

to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

When I see a mud puddle I step around it . I see muddy shoes

and dirty carpets.

My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and

worms to play with.

I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from ? No

wonder God loves the little children!

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back

and realize they were the big things.

Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

He certainly has my vote of confidence.

My post had to do with the pleasure donators get from the expression of gratitude from the charity.

Your reaction, Dan, seems more than a wee bit on the defensive side. For instance, I've never called you a liar. Indeed, my post had less to do with you and much more with the generous donors on these boards. The point remains that charities send out for tax purposes thank you notes acknowledging a donor's generosity, and I'm sure all of the generous donors on these boards contributing in your charity threads would enjoy seeing their recognition by Stand Up. Posting it for them would do that, and should be a standard and uplifting way to conclude any board charity thread.

Finally, it provides a tax receipt for said donors that they may appreciate having for the IRS. The tax benefits of charitable donations are an important factor driving further donations.

Give me break Bob - While you didnt use the word liar in THIS thread, we went round and round about disclosing an upgrade I got from CGC books I was selling in the past. You were insinuating dishonesty here. You saw an opportunity to pile on, and took it

You dont know the private conversations that went on between myself and the winners of the auctions. Heartfelt Thank You's were given all around. And stories shared between us on how this has personally affected each of us and our family's. IMO a personal Thank You is much better than some form letter.

I believe a reciept made out to me cannot be claimed on someone elses taxes!

Good effort Dan.

Its a shame when people question your motives - especially as you did one LAST year without incident.

However I understand that peeps have been burnt by less honourable men than yourself.

Perhaps It would just be simpler to send the money in and people who want to see the receipt can PM you.

And to Oakland - do not hesitate with your treatment decision.

The end results of a TURP, whilst being 'unmanly' also mean you will be here for a long time.

Something I have only told 1 boardie I will publically share with you now.

My darling wife of over 20 years (nearly 30 together all up) was diagnosed with Breast Cancer 10 years ago.

One of the side-effects of the chemotherapy and radiotherapy was a terrible CVA (stroke) which left her in hospital for 4 months learning to feed herself and walk again.

That was horrendous - especially for our children,who were old enough to understand,but too young to really help.

This was combined with a diagnosis of metastatic cancer - her cancer had spread to multiple pelvic lymph nodes and muscle groups.

Her para-aortic lymph nodes had tumours the size of an orange.

She still took her treatment and continued rehab.

I am so proud of the way she fought.

Now, 10 years later,she is recovered to the point of working part-time,being able to drive and go for a jog.

Her metastatic cancer went less than 6 months after diagnosis, thanks to early and severely harsh treatment options.

The average survival rate with metastatic Breast cancer is less than 3 years.

90% are dead within 5 years, 95% within 10.After that no records are kept as people just drift off with their lives and either die of other causes or die of old age.

1 - 2% of people have metastatic cancer,recover and live on as if nothing happened.Medical science has no idea why.

My wife is now approaching her 8th year,and is disease free and on not active treatment.I hope she will be in that 1%.

Early treatment is key Oakie, early conventional treatment.

Good luck to you.

Dan,keep on fundraising and you will have my support.

Right 'brickwall' back up and I shall now return to my usual abrasive charming self!