• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Layman tweets that Chew Showtime series dead

64 posts in this topic

Some of the people calling for Chew to be under $200 in 9.8 haven't been around long enough to remeber that Chew was a $200 book a month or two after release, long before there was any TV speculation. The book has a miniscule print run and a loyal fanbase.

But I really wanted to pick up a Chew #1 in 9.8 for $50. :(

You guys aren't counting the failure factor with this property though. This is somewhat scandalous for "a guaranteed to screen" book to under-achieve. Locke & Key stayed a little afloat, before sinking as well when the FOX deal went bad. My advice to speculators is don't count your chickens either. Locke & Key was pretty low in the wantz department in 2009, after the Disney (Dimension) deal crumbled. I still collected it through that dark time ($5 9.8 slabs) and saw it somewhat explode with the FOX deal. Collectors should be happy with what they read and not worry about minor speed bumps like this, unless the creator is a ...

But luckily, John Layman is one cool dude.

My 2c

Everybody is still chasing that next Walking Dead, and how long did it take for Walking Dead to be a tv series?At least seven years.

Plus what if some of these Image books do become tv shows quicker then the Walking Dead did,but they turn out to suck as tv shows?

The Walking Dead was rare in that not only was it a great comic book, but the tv series is great as well.

I love Chew. I have to say though that I have a really hard time imagining it as a live action show. As an animated series however, that would be brilliant!

Also, it seemed that John & Rob weren't really involved in the project much. The live action show might have ruined Chew. I'm guessing it would have sucked and thats why they killed it.

I vote for Chew: The animated series!!!! Or maybe even 3D animation like

...?

Chew was pretty big before the TV show rumor and will be just fine now (even if it takes a while to get back to peak prices).

I think Locke & Key will make a comeback as well.

High quality and low print runs will win out. The cream rises to the top.

I love Chew. I have to say though that I have a really hard time imagining it as a live action show. As an animated series however, that would be brilliant!

Also, it seemed that John & Rob weren't really involved in the project much. The live action show might have ruined Chew. I'm guessing it would have sucked and thats why they killed it.

I vote for Chew: The animated series!!!! Or maybe even 3D animation like

...?

I thought for a long time it was going to be an animated series...I also can't really imagine it as a live action show

Goon made the funds via kick starter last I heard so it should be made...not sure on when it will be released.

You got part of it right, though they didn't finance the complete film.

From the Kickstarter page:

GOON FANS of the world, grab your beat sticks and chug some hooch... it's time to take on Hollywood!

That's right, this is your chance to help bring everyone's favorite zombie smasher to the big screen! For over 12 years, Eric Powell's comic book "The Goon" has thrilled readers around the globe with its fantastic world of mobsters, zombies, killer robots, giant fish-men, and every outrageous thing in between. The time has come to bring this great comic to theaters!

You might be asking yourself, "I've seen footage of The Goon animated film online... why do they need money? Isn't it already being made?"

The answer to that question is NO. The Goon Film has NEVER been in production. All the work you've seen (animation footage, trailers, artwork, etc.) has been produced independently and out-of-pocket by the creative team of David Fincher, Eric Powell, Blur Studio and Dark Horse Entertainment. We created "proof of concept" footage to show Hollywood the incredible potential of a Goon movie. It was very well received BUT because this movie isn't a sequel or filled with dancing animals we'll need more to bust open the gates and UNLEASH Goon and Franky on Hollywood. And by the freakishly barbarian strength of Aunt Kizzie, we'll find a way to succeed!

This is where YOU come in.

The next step of our plan is to begin the filmmaking process by producing a feature length STORY REEL based on Eric Powell's amazing -script. (a story reel is a rough edit of storyboards combined with music and sound effects) This will give Hollywood a complete look at the Goon film's potential... from his early life in the carnival to busting heads in the mysterious town with no name. We all know the Goon's incredible story, the over-the-top action, hilarious comedy and genuine heart, but now it's time for Hollywood to experience it as well.

Help us make a NEW KIND of animated film... one that's LOUD, VIOLENT and OFFENSIVE TO YOUR GRANDMA.

Some of the people calling for Chew to be under $200 in 9.8 haven't been around long enough to remeber that Chew was a $200 book a month or two after release, long before there was any TV speculation. The book has a miniscule print run and a loyal fanbase.

i've been around long enough to remember Watchmen #1 9.8 was a $1,000 book before it became a $100 comic book. There are 290 Watchmen #1's in 9.8. There are 340 (and counting) Chew #1's in 9.8 or better. I don't care what the print run is, 75% of the submissions are 9.8 or higher. When this series and show (if there is one) ends, this thing will be down 90% from it's high (currently $800). Oh, and Chew #1 can't carry Watchmen #1's jock.

Overall print run is much more important than the 9.8 percentage. Of course there are a ton of 9.8s - it's a modern book that was collectible close to its release date.

Watchmen WAS a condition rarity until the general public discovered pressing. Same as Sandman 1, Harbinger 1 etc.

Chew without a tv series is still a critically acclaimed Image #1 with a 5k print run. I do agree that it'll come down when the series ends but 3 years from now is crystal ball territory in this market.

Not when people are paying $800 for a 9.8. Chew's current sales are around 12-13K an issue. While I'm sure there are plenty of current readers who would like a 1st print of #1 and don't have one, absent speculation, most aren't interested in paying anywhere near the premium currently asked for a raw VF/NM, let alone a CGC 9.8, and are content with trades and later printings.

To put it in perspective, there are currently about 3x the number of CGC 9.8 New Mutants #98s in the census as Chew #1, and given Deadpool sales figures, the character has a fan base roughly 10 times larger, but the book sells for less. Sure, in part because any copy may be easier to find, but once you eliminate the speculators, the number of collectors willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a modern comic is quite small, especially if it looks like it could actually lose value short term.

But if the prices of Chew do not dip much over the next couple months even though there has been an announcement about Showtime passing on it, wouldn't that make Chew even MORE collectible?

The value of Chew skyrocketed long before any talk of a TV show, it's very possible that it keeps its value and even increases once people realize that it can hold its own without a TV deal.

i've been around long enough to remember Watchmen #1 9.8 was a $1,000 book before it became a $100 comic book. There are 290 Watchmen #1's in 9.8. There are 340 (and counting) Chew #1's in 9.8 or better. I don't care what the print run is, 75% of the submissions are 9.8 or higher. When this series and show (if there is one) ends, this thing will be down 90% from it's high (currently $800). Oh, and Chew #1 can't carry Watchmen #1's jock.

Overall print run is much more important than the 9.8 percentage. Of course there are a ton of 9.8s - it's a modern book that was collectible close to its release date.

Watchmen WAS a condition rarity until the general public discovered pressing. Same as Sandman 1, Harbinger 1 etc.

Chew without a tv series is still a critically acclaimed Image #1 with a 5k print run. I do agree that it'll come down when the series ends but 3 years from now is crystal ball territory in this market.

Not when people are paying $800 for a 9.8. Chew's current sales are around 12-13K an issue. While I'm sure there are plenty of current readers who would like a 1st print of #1 and don't have one, absent speculation, most aren't interested in paying anywhere near the premium currently asked for a raw VF/NM, let alone a CGC 9.8, and are content with trades and later printings.

To put it in perspective, there are currently about 3x the number of CGC 9.8 New Mutants #98s in the census as Chew #1, and given Deadpool sales figures, the character has a fan base roughly 10 times larger, but the book sells for less. Sure, in part because any copy may be easier to find, but once you eliminate the speculators, the number of collectors willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a modern comic is quite small, especially if it looks like it could actually lose value short term.

Your last paragraph seems to speculate a lot about who the people are that spend hundreds on modern comics. From my experience, that includes collectors, speculators, long term investors and people who just feel like owning that item. I'm not sure you can pin it down or generalize it to mostly speculators.

Referring back to the part of my post you bolded:

Chew #1 in CGC 9.8 averages about $550 (maybe $600 if you count a couple stupid sales). Raw copies regularly sell between $350 and $415 or about 65% of the 9.8 price.

New Mutants 98 is a $300ish book in CGC 9.8. In raw NM, it's an $80 book. That's about 27% of the 9.8 price.

So basically, I don't know WHO is buying the Chew #1s, but they don't seem nearly as concerned about the specific condition of the book as the New Mutants 98 buyers do, probably because the print run is about 40X higher on that book. Which was my original point.

Your last paragraph seems to speculate a lot about who the people are that spend hundreds on modern comics. From my experience, that includes collectors, speculators, long term investors and people who just feel like owning that item. I'm not sure you can pin it down or generalize it to mostly speculators.

Referring back to the part of my post you bolded:

Chew #1 in CGC 9.8 averages about $550 (maybe $600 if you count a couple stupid sales). Raw copies regularly sell between $350 and $415 or about 65% of the 9.8 price.

New Mutants 98 is a $300ish book in CGC 9.8. In raw NM, it's an $80 book. That's about 27% of the 9.8 price.

So basically, I don't know WHO is buying the Chew #1s, but they don't seem nearly as concerned about the specific condition of the book as the New Mutants 98 buyers do, probably because the print run is about 40X higher on that book. Which was my original point.

I'm an example of this. I wasnt too much into comics a year ago. Only ones I owned were walking dead #1-6 and the hard bound volumes. I picked up the first chew hard cover on a whim after flipping through it and liking the art.

After reading it, I loved it. I had to have a #1. Checked eBay and found the 9.8s were going for 500-600 at the time. I wanted one bad, but I wanted the best and found one signed and sketched and a 9.9 to boot. Well I googled the seller found these boards and probably to the seller point iof view; pestered him thoroughly during his vacation.

Ended up buying it for a good chunk of money. And this is from someone who wasn't a speculator or even really a collector at that point. Thanks Jeff!

tl;dr: its not just speculators that pay big coin for books.

My friend that got me into chew, which got me back into comics, had got a bunch of slabs when movie news hit. Now that its gone he decided to sell me 10 slabs included was a #1 9.8 that I paid $175 for :D

He still has another one but ive hooked him up throughout the years so this is him hitting me back I suppose

I recommended he make an account here when he mentioned getting rid of some of his chews.

Chew is the only series hes sent to get graded past couple years and I know he still has a handful of raw #1's that he was gonna sell when the tv show was made..