• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One trade only - what would you choose?

27 posts in this topic

So last night I went to a send off dinner for one of my best friends who is going to China for a year. This guy is not adverse to comics but certainly doesn't collect and doesn't read them. I wanted to give him something comic related but something that he would appreciate and not just blow off. I ended up giving him a tpb of Watchmen.

What one trade would you give to someone, who is not a huge comic fan but is not adverse to the medium, for a good read at an adult level?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anything by Alan Moore is pretty good.

Watchmen is a good choice (but may be too 'comic-booky'). Same w/ V for Vendetta.

I actually gave my father From Hell to read as it is something that most people have heard of (JTR) and the panel layout is very easy for non-comic readers. Pretty standard left to right and down. I think that's a problem that many people have with comics (especially newer books)...until you know "how to read" them, it can be a little confusing (panels w/in larger panels).

1. Watchmen

2. Kingdom Come

3. Crisis on Infinite Earths

4. Bone One Volume Edition

5. The Last Superman Story (Action 583-Superman 423)

6. The Great Darkness Saga (Legion 287, 290-294)

7. Cerebus 1 (I don't know what the title of the first "Phone Book" is, but that one)

8. Superman: Red Sun

9. Batman: The Dark Knight

10. The City by Will Eisner

hmmmm.... one trade for somebody who doesn't read comics? I like the Watchmen idea and the DD Vol. 2.

I would probably give somebody something non-spandex oriented:

Frank Miller's Ronin is a personal favorite and I think the story's got mass appeal.

There are many excellent choices, but ultimately you have to tailor the book to what you know about your friend.

I had a friend who used to read Marvel comics and was looking for something to read on a flight and borrowed the first two Ultimate Spider-Man tpbs. He's now hooked. He also enjoyed the Tim Sale colors trilogy: DD Yellow, Hulk: Gray, SM: Blue. Waid and Wieringo FF stuff is pretty good. I would recommend a tp collection of Whedon & Cassaday's AXM when it gets published.

I had another friend who used to read DC comics, I lent him the Kingdom Come tpb and he enjoyed that immensely. Dark Knight Returns is another good one, but most people have read that one by now. Batman/Superman Vol. 1, JLA/JSA Virtue and Vice GN, Batman: Hush Vols. 1&2, JLA: Earth 2 GN

For people who want their superheroes grounded in reality, Marvels is a great read. Miracleman would be if they ever got the rights cleared up.

If the person is a big science fiction fan, Dreadstar, Watchmen, American Flagg!, Planetary, Thanos, Ronin.

If the person is a horror fan, Preacher, Sandman, Swamp Thing (Berni arc to introduce and then follow up with the Alan Moore stuff), just about anything published by Vertigo, 30 Days of Night (and sequels), almost anything published by IDW.

For crime novel fans: 100 Bullets, Batman: Broken City, Batman: Long Halloween, Batman: Dark VIctory, Miller Daredevil Visionnairies.

For Kevin Smith fans: Daredevil Vol. 1, Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob.

For women: Sandman, The Maxx, 1602, Bone, Four Women, My Friend Frankie....

For action movie lovers: The Authority (Ellis stuff), Ultimates Vol. 1

For kids: Batman animated, JLA Animated, Superman Animated, Scooby Doo, Plastic Man, Bone

And so on...

I agree. It's a great format, and I have all of the Absolute Editions released so far. I highly recommend the Absolute League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I got Kevin O'Neil to sign mine at San Diego last year.

I'm really looking forward to Absolute Planetary.

absolute planetary would be fantastic... when is that going to be released? or is it even slated yet?

I've read the second volume of absolute authority, and I'm not as high on the quietly work as I am the hitch work -- although the story in the second volume is probably better, I'd only get it as a display for the artwork.

I ended up getting a copy that was signed by Hitch -- had to pay extra for it -- but I haven't been able to turn up a regular copy of Vol. 1 in about three months of searching. Vol. 2 is still around.

Absolute Planetary HC

By Warren Ellis, John Cassaday. Since its debut, PLANETARY has been hailed as a timeless story that turned modern superhero conventions on their heads. Now, for the first time, this groundbreaking series is available in the Absolute format: a whopping oversized slip-cased collection! Witness the stunning adventures of the Archeologists of the Unknown, as they delve into the dark, secret places that most would fear to tread. Reprints issues 1-12 as well as the Planetary Preview story. As an added bonus, this collection includes the full -script from Planetary #1. HC FC 320 pgs $49.95

Shipping October 2004

I would probably give somebody something non-spandex oriented:

Frank Miller's Ronin is a personal favorite and I think the story's got mass appeal.

i was thinking that as i got to your post thumbsup2.gif

one of the very first TPB that i read.