• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is it when you post a question on this site, you get 10 insufficiently_thoughtful_person responses.????

525 posts in this topic

I'm talking about a newbie makes a post and will lead with Views and Replies...Some Newbie..this Newbie has gotten everyone rouled up, come on man Think...

I am just here for the points. Three of them to be exact.

Wet blanket.

Yeah buddy. At the very least, my motives are obvious to anyone paying attention. (Not aimed at you, just the self righteous super serious patrol)

You get me wrong sir. I was trying to use wet blanket as a catchphrase..since Fingh deemed my one and only point victory "wet blanket points" :)

I'm just sayin' it's on like Donkey Kong :foryou:

I am easily offended.
I sensed your presence. :eek:
Just as I planned.
Yes, but in this case, he who smelt it was not he who dealt it. :sick:

"Some of us have been here for 10 years. There's an established board culture. It behooves a newb to figure out what that culture values and decide whether or not that is congruent with what they value. If it isn't, move on."

I guess the moderator list isn't long enough to include your name. Better have them bump you up! I would think the people making those decisions about who should move on would be who sponsors the site. And I would think 'comics general' would be the perfect place for it. But, just one more thing the newbies don't know I guess. I know some people can't help it, but if I see a subject I am not interested in, I just don't click on it.

Why is it when you post a question on this site, you get 10 insufficiently_thoughtful_person responses.????

This is a great place, but with a serious question, you get 10 foolish responses , people making fun of people, etc...and to finally get a real answer you have to scroll through page after page...Jesus, very annoying..

OK. Back to the original question. I'll try to be serious.

There should be some sort of blurb in large red letters that warns newbies not to post up questions immediately. Just read and enjoy. Occasionally offer postive comments on other threads. Try to find any info you are looking for with the search function. After you've been on the boards a while and made positive comments about other peoples comments or threads, you'll receive some "welcome to the boards" responses. When you've had a few of those, send a PM to those individuals with whatever burning (and likely commonly known) questions you have.

I personally don't have much luck with the board search function. A lot of times it's easier to google your question. The longer threads will often come up in a Google search.

Much of the "foolish" responses you speak of come from the fact that the questions of newly minted members have usually been discussed countless times before. Then there is a bit of a club or frat house atmosphere here - for some members anyway. You can avoid it by following what I say in the first paragraph. Otherwise just laughing and moving on will be best.

Welcome to the boards.

In other words do some serious arse kissing before you ask a stupid question.

This is a great place, but with a serious question, you get 10 foolish responses , people making fun of people, etc...and to finally get a real answer you have to scroll through page after page...Jesus, very annoying..

I think because you have all types on the board. Childish kids, or adults who never grew up from being childish kids. Or normally nice people having a bad day. Or people trying to be clever. etc etc. I think the key is to just ignore those comments and focus on the ones that add some value.

(I also don't really understand all the replies that consist of just a smiling face, or some other face. And of course, now there'll probably be a gazillion replies to this post with just a face ... cause that's really funny.)

But it's not limited to this board. If you look at the comments on ESPN articles or online newspaper articles, it's amazing the idiotic and unhelpful things people say.

OMG super serious man is on the loose.

Grump2_zps8a52695a.jpg