• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

I thought it might be fun to start a thread dedicated to oversize special edition collections like Absolutes, Omnibuses (yes, I know, Omnibii) etc.

Two reasons: first, they tend to be expensive and it would be nice to have a thread to give people some idea of what they'd be getting before they spend a big chunk of cash; and second because they are so darn nice to look at/show off – especially the rarer ones...

My “vision” for the thread (beyond getting just a couple of comments and staying on the front page for more than a few minutes…) is that people will use it to post up their own copies, discuss new collections that are coming out, and build up a good knowledge base of what’s out there in a more user-friendly (and in particular, more picture-heavy) way than Amazon and other available sources.

I wanted to kick off with a couple of examples from my collection – I’ll add more if people are interested. Looking forward to hearing from others and seeing more cool books!

-------------------------------------

INDEX (click on a title to jump to the relevant post)

75 years of DC Comics

75 years of DC Comics - video review

Absolute Authority volumes 1 and 2

Absolute Batman: Hush

Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn

Absolute Dark Knight

Absolute Kingdom Come

Absolute Planetary volume 1

Absolute Sandman volume 1

Absolute Watchmen

Amazing Fantasy Omnibus

Batman: Black and White

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - 10th anniversary slipcase edition

Fantastic Firsts

Fear Agent Library volume 1

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection

The Green Lantern Omnibus volumes 1 and 2

Hellboy Library Edition volume 1

The Hole of Tank Girl

IDW Artist's Edition - Wally Wood's EC Stories

The Invisibles Omnibus

JLA/Avengers - collectors' edition

Mister X: The Archives

Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 and Mouse Guard: Winter 1152

Spawn: Origins Collection deluxe edition volume 1

TMNT The Ultimate Collection volume 1 (blue lable edition)

Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition

The Walking Dead: Compendium 1 hardback

Absolute Sandman volume 1

Published: November 2006

Pages: 612

Collects: Sandman issues 1 to 20

Extras: New foreword from Paul Levitz, Gaiman’s original proposal for the series, character sketches, reprint of “The story so far” from issue 8, complete -script, pencils and character designs from issue 19 (A Midsummer Night’s Dream), reprints of afterwords from the first 3 graphic novels, new afterword by Gaiman.

Front and spine of the slipcase:

35l9jds.jpg

10ok6le.jpg

The book separate from the slipcase, embossed and stamped:

2meg6o.jpg

Front page – the paper quality is amazing. Glossy, but not too reflective. Sandman was always more about the story than the art, but this really looks good:

2v8nvx0.jpg

The binding is glued, not sewn - bummer:

ws5y6w.jpg

Not too many examples of double page spreads in the series, but this shows that there is very little gutter loss:

9uop68.jpg

A couple of shots of the extras:

1fts7r.jpg

20sg9j6.jpg

Absolute Watchmen

Published: November 2008

Pages: 464

Collects: Watchmen issues 1 to 12

Extras: Alan Moore’s foreword to the initial collected edition, Moore’s proposal and plot/character breakdown (anyone who has read his pitch for Twilight of the Superheroes - and if you haven’t, you should: follow THIS LINK - will know what to expect), pre-production art, -script extracts and layouts, promo artwork, unused covers, other unseen/rare art, reprint of an afterword by Dave Gibbons.

Front and spine of the slipcase:

34hgm51.jpg

2ziq83d.jpg

Front and back of book beside the slipcase:

jijpti.jpg

11jyqtd.jpg

Book without its dustcover:

2wog7f6.jpg

Example internal page – check out the awesome blood red ribbon! The paper is matte, totally different to the Sandman glossy paper. Really nice, heavy stock - the colours look great:

34raekp.jpg

Sewn binding – much better than the Sandman one:

fclbtd.jpg

Finally, some examples of the extras:

wbumj7.jpg

2qamulh.jpg

Hadn't heard of Scud before. Yes, it would be good to add an example Walking Dead Omnibus too. That's a good example of a title that's available in a large number of formats, so people might need some convincing that the Omnibus is good - I know I've never looked at one or considered buying it.

Great idea for a thread, I have that Sandman Volume 1 Omnibus. I can't force myself to buy the other four because I already have the first printing hardcovers. I just feel it's too much to own all HCs and Omnibuses.

With the first volume, I just imagine that it's Destiny's tome. :)

Great idea for a thread, I have that Sandman Volume 1 Omnibus. I can't force myself to buy the other four because I already have the first printing hardcovers. I just feel it's too much to own all HCs and Omnibuses.

With the first volume, I just imagine that it's Destiny's tome. :)

I know how you feel. I have the first four Sandman volumes but decided not to buy volume 5 (for now, anyway) since it just reprints other specials/graphic novels and not the main series. I'll probably crack eventually though.

a saw on amazon they are preselling a sandman omnibus. this just seems like raping the fans as they already have all the reg hardcovers AND the absolute editions.

Maybe - but I don't think the omni is aimed at people who already have the Absolutes. I think it's just a new slipcased collection of the 10 separate books anyway, isn't it?

a saw on amazon they are preselling a sandman omnibus. this just seems like raping the fans as they already have all the reg hardcovers AND the absolute editions.

Maybe - but I don't think the omni is aimed at people who already have the Absolutes. I think it's just a new slipcased collection of the 10 separate books anyway, isn't it?

Scrap that, I just checked and you're quite right. Out later this year, volume 1 collects the first 37 issues. Still don't think many Absolute owners will be keen though...

There is also a new slipcased set of the 10 separate books. Building interest before the new series this year, no doubt...

My favourite Absolute Editions...

- Authority vol. 1

- Sandman vols 1 and 2

- The New Frontier

- Kingdom Come

- Planetary vols 1 and 2

- Watchmen

Great Thread!

My question is, what incentive does Marvel have for not keeping the popular Omnis in print? These are essentially money grabs anyway (as they re-print issues they've issued long ago), why not keep them available at all times?

It's an interesting question. I think there are a number of factors: these books cost a lot to print, and then there's tax and storage overhead for the publisher to consider too. For super-premium editions I understand they tend to rely heavily on pre-orders to set a print run number, rather than assuming greater demand.

It's also hard for them to assess demand/appetite for a new printing as time goes on - yes, you see the odd crazily high price being paid on eBay, but it doesn't necessarily follow that there are hundreds or thousands of possible purchasers out there (as opposed to a few fanatics).

I read somewhere that the majority of these kind of books tend to be sold within the first few months of release - so if a first printing hasn't sold out within that time period, it's an indicator that there probably isn't the demand for a second one.

Then there's the fact that the publisher can make a lot of money repackaging the product in smaller, more affordable volumes like premier HCs, TPBs etc - those are a lot cheaper to print and store etc.

Short answer: what we think of as popular doesn't always translate into worthwhile for the publishers.