• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

The Invisibles Omnibus

Published: August 2012

Pages: 1536

Collects: The Invisibles volume 1 issues 1-25, Absolute Vertigo, The Invisibles volume 2 issues 1-22, Vertigo: Winter’s Edge 1, The Invisibles volume 3 issues 12-1

Extras: As you’d expect from a book this size, there’s a lot: Morrison’s original series proposal, including his own character sketches, sketches and research feature on the cover for issue 1, various Morrison essays from the letters columns (including the very first and very last issues – the latter as an afterword to the Omnibus), Sean Phillips cover prelims, Morrison’s notes on series 2 with Phil Jiminez character sketches, preliminary logo designs, Brian Bolland cover sketches and character designs, Morrison’s notes on series 3 with Philip Bond page layouts from the first issue of that series, Frank Quitely pencils.

On to the pictures (please excuse the slight damage to the dustcover…):

This thing is LARGE:

105unf4.jpg

Book without dustjacket - actually, I should mention that the dustjacket has a really cool transparent silhouette of the team on the front. Hard to explain, and you can only see it if you catch the light right - I couldn't get it to show up in the picture:

33lnpsi.jpg

The paper is nothing special – exactly what you’d get in a normal TPB. Nice colours anyway – this was always a colourful series!

There are some issues with the size of the book. If you’re reading holding the pages then it’s OK, but if you’re trying to get it to lie flat, then the first and last 250 pages or so are a problem. This is about the best I could do near the start and near the end getting it to lie still – otherwise it flips itself shut:

35alvz7.jpg

241wf1j.jpg

As you can imagine, gutter loss issues are present, even (slightly) in the middle pages:

30upc0i.jpg

Nice sewn binding (no ribbon though – boo):

2wgvqiu.jpg

Couple of shots of the extras:

11jrfxt.jpg

dz9jpv.jpg

Overall, a nice book to have (especially given that your only other choice is TPBs or floppies if you’re an Invisibles fan) – the extras are particularly good. But this could have been a lot better. Quality paper would have been nice, but I guess would have made it too thick. Reading experience is OK, but not great. An occupational hazard of Omnibuses...

Absolute Dark Knight

Published: October 2006

Pages: 512

Collects: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns issues 1 to 4, Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again issues 1-3

Extras: Frank Miller’s original proposal and character sketches, cover reprints from the series and previous collections, sketch designs for statues, action figures, detailed -script notes, preparatory sketches, Miller’s pencils, Miller’s inks, roughs. There are pages and pages of these – the focus is very much on Miller’s art.

A word before we get to the pictures – this is probably the best put together Absolute that I’ve seen. Whoever designed it deserves serious kudos. So you’re going to see plenty of it.

Slipcase and spine – the one thing that drives me crazy is that the “A” of “Absolute” is half off the spine. There’s plenty of room, so it must be intentional, and it looks bad – especially on a shelf next to other Absolutes that don’t do the same thing…

245f5.jpg

24xjeyb.jpg

Book next to slipcase, front and back. How cool does the colour reversal look!

2ymevdg.jpg

16aweiq.jpg

Book without its dustcover, including the deliberately grainy-looking inside front and back covers. These look amazing in hand:

mm4n7.jpg

o9pj49.jpg

5vxjjc.jpg

Central pages – and the ribbon is, of course, jet black. Look at the pop on the colours - awesome. The paper here is not as matte as the Watchmen volume, but not as glossy as the Sandman ones. Pretty much perfect.

2uf5ym0.jpg

Very nice sewn binding. No problem at all getting the book to lie flat, even near front and back (as you can see from the inside cover shots).

28gyvz6.jpg

A couple of the extras:

4h74e8.jpg

10dcnxt.jpg

For any fan of Miller’s Batman, this is a must buy. Definitely one of the best Absolutes out there.

:news:INDEX OF TITLES ADDED TO FIRST POST :news:

Thanks to those who have started to share their collections too - looking forward to seeing lots more!

So that the posts with pictures etc. are easy to locate among the discussion (which is also great), I've amended the first post in the thread to include a clickable index showing what's been listed so far - it will jump you right to the relevant post.

I'll keep it updated as regularly as possible, so it should be easy to identify what books are listed in the thread at any time and go look at them.

Adam

Thanks for this. I love collected editions, and listen faithfully to Chris Marshall's Collected Comics Library podcast. I have TPBs, HCs, and mainly Archive Editions, but have been wanting to start getting Absolutes. This thread is great!

Fingers crossed since it's still sealed, but I think I have finally - at the third attempt - received an undamaged Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn.

I'm planning to add it to the thread tonight along with one other (trying to decide which one - with all the picture taking and uploading I think two at a time is my limit!).

Absolute Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn

Published: January 2013

Pages: 488

Collects: Batman and Robin issues 1 to 16, Batman: The Return one-shot

Extras: Not a huge amount – in fact, nothing additional to what’s available in the 3 deluxe HCs: there’s a feature on the design process for each of the covers, including roughs etc., character design features, logo design features and biographies of the main characters.

This is a nice looking Absolute, but the lack of extras prevents it from being as good as it could have been. There’s no dustcover on the inside book, which makes it seem a little less special. Paper quality is very nice – similar to Absolute Dark Knight.

Big fans of the series will probably want this because the art (particularly Quitely and Irving) looks awesome in the larger format. Besides that, I don’t know that there’s much to recommend it to the casual fan over the deluxe HCs.

Front and spine of slipcase - I have no idea why the spine design is so different to the other Batman Absolutes:

9jdc0x.jpg

nbvl8k.jpg

Inner book alongside slipcase, front and back.

23wmd6h.jpg

2nvz3p.jpg

Again, this lies nice and flat thanks to decent binding. You can see there’s noticeable gutter loss near the front and back of the book though (obviously if you were holding the book in both hands instead of lying it on a table this wouldn’t be an issue):

xfcnm0.jpg

1178x38.jpg

Gutter loss is much less noticeable in the middle of the book – nice baby blue ribbon too! Binding also shown – it’s sewn:

2hp6jh0.jpg

143q9v8.jpg

6ekozc.jpg

Finally, some example extras (a cover study and part of Finch’s character design from the one-shot):

20jkzr9.jpg

2w3djf5.jpg

Some of mine, I have X-Force, Brubaker Captain America, The new Iron Man that comes out next week, Dracula 2, Avengers West Coast, Geoff Teen Titans, and X-Static on the way to the house right now.

Trying to pick up a Dracula 1 and some Daredevil omnibus but they are so hard to come by for a decent price.

75BCEEFB-B06F-4E70-B86B-D823BCF2E6BD-3429-0000063B7AB90314_zps2d7659cf.jpg

4EFE40C4-E6A9-4127-97FE-CDB83837F876-3429-0000063B7EE22AD7_zps0e854a2b.jpg

EA4EB3A1-16FC-4C44-A148-F59AAA2F4ABF-3429-0000063B85F09E18_zps2f85041b.jpg

E1452D91-63EE-4656-AAF9-21CF79D36B59-3429-0000063B8AE4311B_zps915a361d.jpg

CD04C25B-BF16-44BA-8AA1-94924F3B838B-3429-0000063B8F88018E_zps5cdb4c4c.jpg

Here are some of mine, but I don't have time yet to do such a nice display as you have been doing so far-- I will get to it soon though on some of them that aren't done yet! Thanks for the work you putting into this!

IMG_0054_zps26b7022b.jpg

IMG_0053_zps61667302.jpg

IMG_0052_zpsc7b0f11f.jpg

IMG_0051_zps5a3f63e5.jpg

Okay I have one. Please excuse the poor lighting in my house, and the cellphone camera :blush:

The Hole Of Tank Girl

Published: September 2012

Pages: 384

I don't know exactly what all it collects, supposedly the entirety of the Hewlett and Martin works, with some previously unreleased material and a few extras. Here's some pics.

Nice slipcase

cb5f7759-2da7-4664-b909-8f4fd1bcd6ba_zps594bc941.jpg

Here is a standard sized comic for scale

20513239-82d9-485a-9456-9336eba4759d_zpsfba99f02.jpg

Please excuse the blur :shy:

2013-02-07154503_zpsa606ce83.jpg

Very thick book for 384 pages, thick glossy paper

2013-02-07154554_zps7e53dbde.jpg

Under the dust jacket

2013-02-07154623_zps744d42fb.jpg

Hand signed by Alan Martin

2013-02-07154644_zps73c925c5.jpg