• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection

:golfclap:

Excellent post, thank you! Added to the index.

Thanks! Im trying to focus on things other than the DC Absolutes & Omnibui since those are relatively cookie cutter and lots of info is available about them...

Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition

Published: December 2010

Pages: 1200 (two volumes)

Collects the entire Fantagraphics Usagi Yojimbo run as well as his earlier appearances in comics like Critters and Albedo. Also has a handful of extras in the back of the final volume.

Here's some pics!

Nice slipcase

60afad9b-949a-4014-b495-409d70058b73_zps689b3a23.jpg

2013-02-08104159_zps722c0b56.jpg

With a standard comic for scale

2013-02-08104215_zpsa8b85752.jpg

The book covers only have art on one side, the back is blank on both

2013-02-08104306_zpsbce8316e.jpg

Sewn binding

2013-02-08104352_zpse8bf816a.jpg

Some of the contents

2013-02-08104403_zps1dfe6c4e.jpg

2013-02-08104412_zps4c581e8a.jpg

2013-02-08104452_zps70374431.jpg

The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection

:golfclap:

Excellent post, thank you! Added to the index.

Thanks! Im trying to focus on things other than the DC Absolutes & Omnibui since those are relatively cookie cutter and lots of info is available about them...

Appreciated. The majority of mine are Absolutes - nice to see some more esoteric stuff.

Absolute Kingdom Come

Published: July 2006

Pages: 340

Collects: Kingdom Come issues 1 to 4

Extras: A very comprehensive set: character key, “Secrets Revealed” essay by Mark Waid, “Icons of Virtue” essay by Alex Ross, 74 pages of character sketches and notes, detailed annotations to the series, art from the covers, previous collections, promos and trading cards, a couple of extra story pages featuring Orion, checklist of appearances of the Kingdom Come world in other DC books, toy designs, “family tree” genealogy chart, afterword by Ross’ father (the visual inspiration for the lead character, Norman McCay).

This is what you want from an Absolute: an amazing artist that's actually worth using the large format for, a great story, and loads and loads of extras. This is one of the best ones out there - Ross' art is the star but it's a quality book all round.

Front and spine of slipcase:

357hjrs.jpg

il9miu.jpg

Nice leather bound and embossed inner book. No dust cover, but it looks awesome. The back is blank. Shown next to the back cover of the slipcase:

2v7wh1x.jpg

Again, the binding is great and it sits nice and flat. Shots of the inside cover, and some early and late pages. One shot of the sewn binding:

11htcat.jpg

1z4wl6r.jpg

2czbu6c.jpg

of3sxv.jpg

Please believe me when I say that the Absolute format was made for artists of the quality of Ross. The paper is maybe a tiny bit on the glossy side, but for an artist that paints as vividly as this, that’s probably for the best:

20krjuc.jpg

Some shots of the extras. Here we have a Superman character sketch page, a shot of the character key and a couple of pages of the annotations. I nearly forgot to mention the ribbon :o – it’s black:

71h2tz.jpg

11cbfja.jpg

jrrwo5.jpg

Finally, no true fan of Kingdom Come should be without this baller rare item (it

doesn’t come with the Absolute, just thought I’d include it because it’s rare and cool – DC brought a lawsuit and had it recalled as it contains loads of rare Ross artwork and other content):

qzk8yr.jpg

An angel dies every time someone opens a book and lays it flat.

I can hear all of the spines breaking now. :cry:

NO! That's what quality sewn binding is for. The truth is, angels cry when awesome special editions sit on shelves, unread...

I hear ya. I wish I had more time to read my books, but with a full time job, a 3-year-old, and a desire to read prose fiction, too, many of my books sit on my shelves for months and months before reading them. But when I do, I never lay 'em flat. I'm a book collector from way back, and I cracking a spine or letting a spine get loose from over use just makes me cringe.

Absolute Watchmen

Published: November 2008

Pages: 464

Collects: Watchmen issues 1 to 12

Extras: Alan Moore’s foreword to the initial collected edition, Moore’s proposal and plot/character breakdown (anyone who has read his pitch for Twilight of the Superheroes - and if you haven’t, you should: follow THIS LINK - will know what to expect), pre-production art, -script extracts and layouts, promo artwork, unused covers, other unseen/rare art, reprint of an afterword by Dave Gibbons.

Front and spine of the slipcase:

34hgm51.jpg

2ziq83d.jpg

Front and back of book beside the slipcase:

jijpti.jpg

11jyqtd.jpg

Book without its dustcover:

2wog7f6.jpg

Example internal page – check out the awesome blood red ribbon! The paper is matte, totally different to the Sandman glossy paper. Really nice, heavy stock - the colours look great:

34raekp.jpg

Sewn binding – much better than the Sandman one:

fclbtd.jpg

Finally, some examples of the extras:

wbumj7.jpg

2qamulh.jpg

There is also a signed and numbered edition that came out several years ago.

Signed by Gibbons