• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you cart around your comics at a convention?

42 posts in this topic

I almost posted the same question. I usually use a backpack, but I hate how hot and sweaty I get when I am wearing it. May bring a messenger bag this year. I typically hit up the cheap bins pretty hard.

Messenger bags are perfect in my opinion. You have tons of usable space (the Bag of Holding is what I prefer) and you don't get all icky and it's a nice easy way to keep your personal space bubble intact by easily switching it side to side. Not to mention it can be easily accessed on the move.

I don't like messenger bags for crowded cons. I have a Rothco canvas messenger bag that I use for work sometimes. At crowded cons it definitely gets brushed up against more than a backpack does.

One of those little luggage dollies with some bungee cords and a longbox laying vertical aught to do the trick

Luggage%20Dolly,%20cropped.JPG

This was just the first image that popped up, but they make some with narrower wheelbases that can fold up and stuff too

This one looks tiny, holds 70lbs, and is under $40

http://www.restockit.com/luggage-folding-cart-folded-11-x3-x17-opened-11-x13-39-bk-%28ktklglc70r%29.html

Did this one year carrying around a bunch of books and it worked great. You'd drop dead in 2 seconds trying to carry a bunch of books and your friends would abandon you.

I don't like messenger bags for crowded cons. I have a Rothco canvas messenger bag that I use for work sometimes. At crowded cons it definitely gets brushed up against more than a backpack does.

I've always had the opposite. With a backpack I was getting brushed into constantly and nearly never with my messenger bag. I hope my luck keeps holding out.

I use a Pilots case. Hard sided and can hold 60-80 books. They sell them now with wheels which make sit easier.

You might also look for a wheeled catalog case. I got one at Staples. It locks, has hard sides, wheels with a telescoping handle, and can hold a fair amount.

Leather-LookRollingCatalogCase_zpsb69e2319.jpg

I use a Pilots case. Hard sided and can hold 60-80 books. They sell them now with wheels which make sit easier.

You might also look for a wheeled catalog case. I got one at Staples. It locks, has hard sides, wheels with a telescoping handle, and can hold a fair amount.

I remember running into Mr Bedrocks at the Las Vegas comic con back in the early 90s and he was walking around with one of those (non-wheel version). Bought a Batman 53 from him for a sweet price which I still have today :cloud9:

Im prolly going to pick one of these up. For last day bulk buying I will carry around the long box bungeed to a dolly..

Where 2 wheelers are allowed, like WW Philly and Chicago, I bring a 2 wheeler with 2 or 3 short boxes. I buy alot of dollar comics and inexpensive mid-grade, so I fill up the short boxes and run back to the hotel room to unload. For a big buy, where I might buy a long box or 2, the 2 wheeler makes it alot easier.

But at SDCC, they don't allow 2 wheelers, so I bring a big shopping bag. Fortunately SDCC has good bag checks. So in the morning I check in my 2 wheeler. During the day I'll put stuff into bag check. Then at the end of the day I'll gather all my stuff and cart them back to the hotel room with the 2 wheeler.