• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

Maybe if the publisher listened to us, they would limit the variants. I've ordered them all but I'm thinking if all their issues are going to have 4 covers I'm going to either limit it to one or no longer collect this title.

HI, I'm new to writing on these boards but have been reading here a long time. I'm curious as to why the multiple covers is a bad thing. I really liked the Propaganda and Blitzkrieg covers and I kind of liked the main cover. I reallly don't care for the wrap but I did like having a choice.

Whats the downside ? Thanks in advance.

It dilutes the product and as everyone chases the more desired and less printed variants, the regular covers become worthless or don't go up that much in aftermarket.

That makes sense. I had a suspicion that might be a problem on Jupiter's Legacy too. Thank all of you for the education. I've been away from comics for about four years. I was a faithful reader/collector/ebayer for many years prior to that. I sold a lot of comics to pay for my habit of reading a lot. I'm trying to learn how to do that again. :)

I don't go for the Midtown or Hastings or Mile High variants anyway-- to me they are ads only-- if I wanted, I could pay for enough copies and they would make a variant with my name on it. I don't mind a few variants from the publisher though. Keeps it interesting!

$$$

Exactly! Ill still buy the title. Just instead of 20-40 copies it will be 1. I hate variants so I'll speak with my wallet.

I understand that decision and respect it. We don't do retailer variants all that often, and it sort of snuck up on us with Uber, but we will find a balance here. We've actually turned down some requests for variants with Uber due to such concerns.

Heat is a fickle thing, I do understand that -- William and I wrote for Overstreet in the 80s and Wizard in the 90s. But Avatar has a small reader base compared to Marvel, DC, or even Image, and we do need to put a few more boots on the ground for a long term series, and Midtown and FP are in a position to put additional books in people's hands in London and NYC and create long-term fans for the series (and I'm not saying that variants from other specific retailers couldn't have done that, just that that's how it worked out in this instance). We've used con variants to much the same purpose in the past, and that's been effective.

Anyway... I hear your concerns. We are trying to walk the tightrope on this issue and do additional variants in situations where they make the most sense.

:golfclap:

Thank you for the info. I definitely want to see Avatar and any other company a success to keep putting out books. Whatever gets it into as many reader hands as possible. FP and Midtown just aren't for me. But there are a lot more people buying them, then people on the forum. Still looking forward to #1.

GORE COVER but yeah would love it if uber would just do one cover instead of 4. I could care less about midtown and FP variants. Based on your other titles, i doubt this will happen. Avatar does like to do multiple covers, thats fine but i cant keep up. As someone who is a completionist its hard to keep buying books when i know im not going to be able to complete the entire puzzle

Mark, we all appreciate you coming on the boards to give us some clarification. I'm one of those that wants to see a win-win for both the publisher and collector. I must admit this is one reason why I have never purchased Cross due to so many covers. This is the first Avatar title I started collecting/reading. I don't mind one extra cover per issue.

After a chat with Mark - heres the breakdown.

I'm sure Mark will correct me if wrong.

Uber #0 1st print 11,500 (inc retailer variant)

Uber #0 2nd print 7,500

FP (UK- London) #0 2nd print - 500

MT (NYC) #0 2nd print - 500

20,000 #0 print run total

Mark has rejected overtures from the virus. There will be no more #0 releases.

So 11,500 between 4 covers for the first print of #0 sounds pretty good.

Support this great book.

Thanks for the support, Andy. :headbang: There's an interesting road ahead for this series. For those who have read #0, Kieron has posted some detailed notes on #0 here (spoilers):

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/5331/notes-on-uber-0/

Uber #0 1st print 11,500 (inc retailer variant)

Uber #0 2nd print 7,500

FP (UK- London) #0 2nd print - 500

MT (NYC) #0 2nd print - 500

Total print run on #0 1st print was 16k. #0 Enhanced FP and Midtown are greater than 500 but it's up to them to release that specific info or not. There will be con editions of #0 Enhanced.

Told you Mark would correct me!

Thanks Mark!

Total of 16k isn't too bad though hey lads?

Maybe if the publisher listened to us, they would limit the variants. I've ordered them all but I'm thinking if all their issues are going to have 4 covers I'm going to either limit it to one or no longer collect this title.

Avatar is known for a high number of variants per issue. You'll get 3-4 variants the month a title is released and at least 1 or 2 more "special" editions in subsequent months. They have done that with all their titles.

Well sent my first batch in for slabbing - #0 was brilliant.

Print Run 16k for #0

Best selling Avatar comic like - ever.

#1 sold out at distributor level (unless I missed one)

#2 pre-sales rampant.

How the heck did this end up on page 3??

Seriously the best new book of 2013 so far.

Brilliant.

So far I have heard from 3 friends who read this title that it was nothing great (using nice words) and they have no interest in buying anymore...

This from 3 longtime readers of comics, so my question is to those supporting it...

What makes it so great?

If this came out a year ago would anyone even notice?