• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uber from Avatar

1,083 posts in this topic

I found this while trolling:

viperdays

viperdays

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lmfao. wow someone is a little butt hurt, where did all that come from? someone seems a little upset they can't sell their comics on ebay anymore. lot of red numbers next to your auctions on ebay there buddy.

also doesn't look like it will be working out on buying those 1000 copies of something like superman unchained and cashing in on those variants, then selling off the base covers for profit. you can't even move those gotg #1's cause they're not worth the money it would cost to ship them. lmfao. "

hmm... all those red numbers... you are silly man. Also, go and crunch the numbers for the GotG #1 high-end variants I sold and lower tier when they first released and tell me about the PROFIT I made and how the 500 GoTG #1 are free. Because that is how it works when ALL of the variants are 40% of cover .

You are right about one thing and that is that I am no longer going to be active in the market. 2,000-3000+ a month isn't worth my time, some things are relative, BUT my two teens are ecstatic about taking over. That is a lot of coin to them.Hell they have already started a website ontherisecomics and have grand plans. VOLUME is key in everything in America. I know a few power sellers on feebay who sell cellphone items. 1000+ auctions a week. Stuffing envelopes and making 2,3,$4 an item after fees and costs . So, yes small profit on a big scale is MONIES!!! I have stated it before more than once that there are many angles to making money in ANY market. When the stock market was crashing those shorting stocks made a MINT. Not all methods work for all because frankly not everyone can invest in 100's or 1000's of items at a time. I don't wish anyone ill will on these boards or in their endeavors. The 99% could all use a WIN !!! GO HEAT !!!

It's tough to make the Viper payment on 2-3k a month (shrug)

yah, he was losing tons of money, his completed sales were a killing field. So he had about a 3 month run before reality overwhelmed the fantasy.

It doesnt surprise me really, as you can see so much of the speculation has peaked in so many books simultaneously. Enough people have been burned on the Bedlams, NWM, Saga (yes even there), Sixth Gun, etc, that they are starting to realize that the "quick/easy money" was just speculators selling to speculators.

I dont think the "bubble" as we like to say has burst, but i do think the 2013 mania has seen its peak. Which, in the end, should be a good thing, for long term health of the market.

The reason I brought up VD in the Uber thread, is because I had a saying which applied to it. If VD was selling it, i dont want to own ANY, period. His ebay items were a who's who of the 2013 speculative mania books. And he had Uber amounts of Uber :grin:

Uber may be a great book, and worth reading. But anyone thinking they are going to find riches here, i strongly disagree. And the variants may have accelerated that realization, but they arent the cause.

Books can't just RISE for no reason. Something has to make a book rise. In 2012, people judged the quality of a book, and used that to justify a rise. In 2013, its been the, any new series that sells for more than cover even once on ebay, justification.

Going forward, TV shows, Movies will continue to do there thing. Quick flip movies, buy cheap and hold TV shows.

Books like Saga are rare, and can be identified by rising readership, stability and long term growth. Even saga though, rose too far too fast.

If uber is going to have long term success in terms of secondary value, let me know how the readership is doing at issue 6. If someone wants to go all in on it, which is essentially a form of gambling, its your choice. You might make out like a fiend. But the time between now and when that happens, your money is tied up, and exposed to a large downside risk. Same is true of any unproven book.

Viperdays gets bashed a lot on here because of when he first started posting he wasn't the most political about what he was saying. I don't know if political is the right word, but you get the idea.

He did teach me a lot about modern speculation. I actively PMed with him for a few weeks. And we were getting books for really cheap. Much cheaper than Midtown comics or DCBS. I know he was in for 75 sets of #0 and #1 (that's 600 comic books). I don't have my Access file in front of me, but I think we were buying them for $8.54 shipped per set. And I was unloading them for $60 shipped when #0 first came out. I'm getting around 100-120 copies of Peter Panzerfaust #11 for free because I contacted previous customers and asked if they wanted the variant for the price Diamond was soliciting it at. That includes shipping and bag and boards.

His downfall was the way he listed his items on eBay. And he also bought every #1 that came out without really doing research. That led to Bedlam and Blackare that he lost a lot on. But ASM #700, NWM #1-3, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/08/uber-0s-second-print-will-be-its-last/

"...

Publisher of both Avatar and Bleeding Cool, William Christensen, has told me that he is only going to run one further printing of Uber #0 before it is collected in trade paperback. And he is adding a stack more pages – and a dollar to the price.

Oh and it will also be limited to 7500 copies. Your last chance…"

Uber #0

4 covers from Avatar

2 covers from stores (Midtown and FP)

1 cover 2nd print LAST CHANCE TO BUY <-- apparently not

3 extra covers of Uber 2nd print (enhanced) have released weeks after he said no more

And #1. That is just out of hand, but he has never come out and said there will be no more.

There is a Phoenix ComicCon exclusive at the end of the month. And expect more exclusives during the convention season.

It's not the speculation aspect annoying me, it's the collectibility aspect. I like to collect covers that stand out (the propaganda and blitzkrieg sketch covers), but all these convention/retailer blitzkrieg sketch editions have watered down the appeal, as they are not limited to one sketch per issue, and there are only two issues released.

Maybe I should approach Kieron Gillen who frequents my main LCS, and then he can tell me to off lol

I spoke to Kieron at C2E2, and he said he has no control on the covers, Avatar does, he just writes the book.

yah, he was losing tons of money, his completed sales were a killing field. So he had about a 3 month run before reality overwhelmed the fantasy.

It doesnt surprise me really, as you can see so much of the speculation has peaked in so many books simultaneously. Enough people have been burned on the Bedlams, NWM, Saga (yes even there), Sixth Gun, etc, that they are starting to realize that the "quick/easy money" was just speculators selling to speculators.

I dont think the "bubble" as we like to say has burst, but i do think the 2013 mania has seen its peak. Which, in the end, should be a good thing, for long term health of the market.

The reason I brought up VD in the Uber thread, is because I had a saying which applied to it. If VD was selling it, i dont want to own ANY, period. His ebay items were a who's who of the 2013 speculative mania books. And he had Uber amounts of Uber :grin:

Uber may be a great book, and worth reading. But anyone thinking they are going to find riches here, i strongly disagree. And the variants may have accelerated that realization, but they arent the cause.

Books can't just RISE for no reason. Something has to make a book rise. In 2012, people judged the quality of a book, and used that to justify a rise. In 2013, its been the, any new series that sells for more than cover even once on ebay, justification.

Going forward, TV shows, Movies will continue to do there thing. Quick flip movies, buy cheap and hold TV shows.

Books like Saga are rare, and can be identified by rising readership, stability and long term growth. Even saga though, rose too far too fast.

If uber is going to have long term success in terms of secondary value, let me know how the readership is doing at issue 6. If someone wants to go all in on it, which is essentially a form of gambling, its your choice. You might make out like a fiend. But the time between now and when that happens, your money is tied up, and exposed to a large downside risk. Same is true of any unproven book.

I like to keep up on a few threads. Is there ANYWAY you can treat the boards like twitter? My eyes gaze over before I even read a word.

It's not the speculation aspect annoying me, it's the collectibility aspect. I like to collect covers that stand out (the propaganda and blitzkrieg sketch covers), but all these convention/retailer blitzkrieg sketch editions have watered down the appeal, as they are not limited to one sketch per issue, and there are only two issues released.

Maybe I should approach Kieron Gillen who frequents my main LCS, and then he can tell me to off lol

I spoke to Kieron at C2E2, and he said he has no control on the covers, Avatar does, he just writes the book.

Ah that's a shame, would also explain a lot.

Viperdays gets bashed a lot on here because of when he first started posting he wasn't the most political about what he was saying. I don't know if political is the right word, but you get the idea.

He did teach me a lot about modern speculation. I actively PMed with him for a few weeks. And we were getting books for really cheap. Much cheaper than Midtown comics or DCBS. I know he was in for 75 sets of #0 and #1 (that's 600 comic books). I don't have my Access file in front of me, but I think we were buying them for $8.54 shipped per set. And I was unloading them for $60 shipped when #0 first came out. I'm getting around 100-120 copies of Peter Panzerfaust #11 for free because I contacted previous customers and asked if they wanted the variant for the price Diamond was soliciting it at. That includes shipping and bag and boards.

I am not really trying to pick on him per se, but his actions do make a good case study on speculation. I agree the way in which he spoke to people when he first arrived turned a lot of people off. But it is more the "buying every #1" that gets his name referenced so much. That is the poster child for speculation.

The losers will always out number the winners, and while $60 for #0 might have been one of the winner, his later sales on that book are no where near that, so that would hardly be his average price on the book. The ebay history also shows many books below cover.

Any one person buying 100+ copies of PP 11 also makes me want to own zero. Purely as a contrarian investor, I want to be holding things that no one else is, and selling whatever everybody else is holding.

I want to be holding things that no one else is, and selling whatever everybody else is holding.

Bingo!

What a quick study. hm

I believe Windsor has the highest number of Bingo Halls per capita. My extended family live there.

That and I have called Bingo here and there as a player and a caller. ;)

I believe Windsor has the highest number of Bingo Halls per capita. My extended family live there.

That and I have called Bingo here and there as a player and a caller. ;)

Cool beans.......beer is on me if you get time when your in town.......and bring some of the $250 WD #1's with ya :baiting:

I am not really trying to pick on him per se, but his actions do make a good case study on speculation. I agree the way in which he spoke to people when he first arrived turned a lot of people off. But it is more the "buying every #1" that gets his name referenced so much. That is the poster child for speculation.

The losers will always out number the winners, and while $60 for #0 might have been one of the winner, his later sales on that book are no where near that, so that would hardly be his average price on the book. The ebay history also shows many books below cover.

Any one person buying 100+ copies of PP 11 also makes me want to own zero. Purely as a contrarian investor, I want to be holding things that no one else is, and selling whatever everybody else is holding.

I remember seeing another username that was like viperdays2 or something. It was something so similar, but I know all his listings went down. There definitely are a lot more losers. People think something is worth $$$ every month when that is hardly the case.

I would not have bought PP 11 if I didn't have previous customers ask if they could get it from me. I had a few dozen of PP 9 that went to a few buyers in bulk. I bought 0 copies of PP 10, but later happened to get 10-15 copies from a boardie he threw in as part of a huge lot I bought.