• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Y: The Last Man [SPOILERS]

504 posts in this topic

IMHO I like the Agent 355 taking the amulet theory. A virus would have taken a long time to reach every male on the planet,even if its transferred by air. When the series started and all the male died, it was all at the sometime. No virus has that much effect globally,so it's got to be the cause of the plague to be magic, thus the amulet.

But then again, magic would have some border limit on earth, since the astronaut weren't affected by it.

I feel that the point of the amulet was that in the absence of men, women would still pick up and fight wars for religious beliefs.

Just received all 5 hardcovers last Friday... I just finished HC 5 a few minutes ago. LOVED this series. Best 4 nights of falling asleep reading EVER.

Really wish 355 didn't die =(

Have any of you BKV fans checked out THE ESCAPISTS? From Dark Horse. Only three issues and readily available in TPB. One of his strongest efforts and sadly overlooked. Deserves to be read!

I have not but now I am definitely going to. BKV can do no wrong. I just finally finished Ex Machina after dropping it back when I quit collecting in college for awhile. Fun read, and definitely didn't pull any punches.

Just finished and I think this may be giving TWD a run for its money. Incredible storytelling and I'm sad it's over.

Welcome to the club! This is proof that Saga will be an amazing story when fully told!

I bought the first 3 issues off the shelf but didn't really follow it. A few years ago I broke down and bought all the tp and the final issue. When I started reading I couldn't put it down. I read the entire series in 2 days. It was an excellent way to read it and I highly recommend it. If I were the last man at first I certainly would have had a lot more fun than yorick. I loved the series it is one of my favourites. I will certainly reread the series in a few years.

Okay....

I just finished book five and the series. And now I am sad because it's over.

I can't imagine how painful it must have been for early fans having to wait month to month for new issues over several years. For those that haven't taken the plunge.... Sell something worth $100 and order the 1-5 hardbacks on Amazon. You won't regret it. I would sell you mine, but no f'n way. I can see me rereading this series several times in my life and when my kids get older letting them check it out.

Bravo Y:TLM team.

I was on this from the beginning and it instantly became an all-time fave. The monthly cliffhangers were unbelievable. The last six or so issues were on a bimonthly schedule...so the torture was stretched out that much more. I'm enjoying SAGA immensely, but until it's all over and can be evaluated as a whole, YTLM remains the BKV standard bearer.

(from someone who just read it last year)

Now your desire for a #1 9.8 SS kicks into overdrive.

Then it will become a desire for OA.

I skipped that and went straight to OA. I think it's just as good, if not better than TWD. Absolutely incredible

Ryan,

How good was that last issue? Not often that I can talk to someone who's read it for the first time. It's my favorite issue of any comic ever. A heartbreaking end to a classic series.

How can this not be a show on HBO/Showtime/AMC yet?

Edited by BizarroChuck

(from someone who just read it last year)

Now your desire for a #1 9.8 SS kicks into overdrive.

Then it will become a desire for OA.

I started with a #4 9.9 and haven't looked back. I have to start selling some of my doubles. It seems I do nothing but buy when it comes to Y. It's been my #1 collecting priority. Rumours of a movie does not help. Make the show or don't make the show there is no rumour.

Ryan,

How good was that last issue? Not often that I can talk to someone who's read it for the first time. It's my favorite issue of any comic ever. A heartbreaking end to a classic series.

BC:

Like other series, there are dry moments (sidestories of non-primary character) that may have been value-adders, but digressed from the main storyline too much for me (ie: one of the last few issues regarding the supermodel and her new career).

However, once you get to the last 100-150 pages of the series it becomes a race to the end (it was the last 300 pages for me). The last issue was good, but I have mixed feelings on how it ended. If we were all sitting in a round table I'm sure there could be some interesting philosophical discussions around "what does it all mean" in the Y universe. I'm still trying to process it all and understand what BKV was really trying to express with the series.

(1) Does gender matter?

(2) What is the author saying about love?

(3) Is fear what motivates people?

and on, and on, and on....

I would like to see a companion book for readers after the story that discusses some of these topics, but I don't think it would be very popular. Most just want to read something. I like to understand what I'm reading.

In the end though, I highly recommend this series, which can be a surface story that can be much deeper if the reader chooses it to be.

After reading the Sandman, digressions don't bother my anymore. I kind of got numb to them lol. But I can definitely see your point there (the acting troupe).

This series could easily have faltered on how clever it is. One guy left on Earth, surrounded by women. The idea sounds hokey, but BKV pulls it off in spectacular fashion, primarily with his character-work. The man writes the BEST main characters in comics IMO, but his side characters can seem "typecast" and stereotypical at times. I don't know if this is actually true or if they are overshadowed by the main characters. I should probably read it again soon for an answer :)

Ryan,

BC:

Like other series, there are dry moments (sidestories of non-primary character) that may have been value-adders, but digressed from the main storyline too much for me (ie: one of the last few issues regarding the supermodel and her new career).

However, once you get to the last 100-150 pages of the series it becomes a race to the end (it was the last 300 pages for me). The last issue was good, but I have mixed feelings on how it ended. If we were all sitting in a round table I'm sure there could be some interesting philosophical discussions around "what does it all mean" in the Y universe. I'm still trying to process it all and understand what BKV was really trying to express with the series.

(1) Does gender matter?

(2) What is the author saying about love?

(3) Is fear what motivates people?

and on, and on, and on....

I would like to see a companion book for readers after the story that discusses some of these topics, but I don't think it would be very popular. Most just want to read something. I like to understand what I'm reading.

In the end though, I highly recommend this series, which can be a surface story that can be much deeper if the reader chooses it to be.

Interesting that you mention #3. Have you watched the new Oliver Stone TV series?