• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

returned book, seller says 2 inch rip, but book between cardboard!

106 posts in this topic

returned book, seller now says 2 inch rip, but book was between cardboard.

Anyone know if paypal is still going to honor my return or is this seller going to get away with saying the book is ripped in shipping back? I took a video of packing it. Between cardboard like this a rip is extremely unlikely. More likely the seller (who overgraded and used blurry photos was out from the beginning to overcharge buyers and wasnt happy the book got returned)

Unless you video yourself in one fluid shot of wrapping the item up, carrying it to the post office and dropping it off, a video would not mean much to me.

If I wanted to scam someone I would take a video of me wrapping it up. Then I would turn off the camera once the package is wrapped. Then the book is swapped with a lower grade item or a different item all together.

Just playing devil's advocate here and not meaning any disrespect.

I'm sorry, but is you're shipping between flimsy priority box cardboard in a bubble envelope, you've lost me on this one.

With all due respect, just the fact that someone would video a book he was returning sets off all sorts of red flags in my mind. Your video doesn't prove or disprove a possible tear inside the bag.

Returning it in an envelope with a little cardboard doesn't sit well, either.

Unless you video yourself in one fluid shot of wrapping the item up, carrying it to the post office and dropping it off, a video would not mean much to me.

If I wanted to scam someone I would take a video of me wrapping it up. Then I would turn off the camera once the package is wrapped. Then the book is swapped with a lower grade item or a different item all together.

I agree, paypal doesnt allow videos for proof of delivery, I asked. The seller has admitted he received it back already so thats not an issue.

I'm still glad I videotaped this though because this is proof of wrapping between the cardboard. I can see a smashed book, but its highly unlikely the book got a two inch rip between two pieces of cardboard.

I agree, paypal doesnt allow videos for proof of delivery, I asked. The seller has admitted he received it back already so thats not an issue.

I'm still glad I videotaped this though because this is proof of wrapping between the cardboard. I can see a smashed book, but its highly unlikely the book got a two inch rip between two pieces of cardboard.

Where is the seller saying the rip is? Your video doesn't really give a detailed view of the book. If the rip is a spine split, I can see that perhaps happening with your packing.

An important question - asked once already - is how was the book packaged when shipped to the buyer? If the buyer was returning it the same way it was shipped to him/her, then criticisim of the return packaging is a unfair.

A tear seems unlikely from shipping between thin cardboard. Bends and folds yes.

Shipping in a sturdy box that is an inch or two larger in all directions filled with cushioning material all around so the book never touches the box is the standard for shipping nearly anything. And how I ship. But I've bought books from well known boardies that arrived in envelopes between cardboard. I've bought more books than I can count that were shipped that way from eBay sellers. 98% of the time the books arrive in good shape with no visible damage. Then there is that other 2% of the time.

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question - which is an interesting one. The buyer returned and overgraded book to the seller. The seller claims it was received not in the condition sent. It appears that Paypal normally favors the buyers, but some sellers here speak of "winning" contested returns.

Hopefully the OP will post up what the resolution is when it is settled.

I never buy when I see "1st Class Shipping". I know I would be getting just what's in the video, so the shipper could keep it under the weight limit.

1st Class Shipping gets an immediate back click from me.

You can ship one or two books first class in a box with just as much security as a priority. I do it all the time. You just have to keep the package under 13 oz.

I disagree with this tit for tat theory of reshipping - does not look good for protecting yourself. He does throw the envelope on a pile of similarly packaged envelopes at the end of the video.

An important question - asked once already - is how was the book packaged when shipped to the buyer? If the buyer was returning it the same way it was shipped to him/her, then criticisim of the return packaging is a unfair.

A tear seems unlikely from shipping between thin cardboard. Bends and folds yes.

Shipping in a sturdy box that is an inch or two larger in all directions filled with cushioning material all around so the book never touches the box is the standard for shipping nearly anything. And how I ship. But I've bought books from well known boardies that arrived in envelopes between cardboard. I've bought more books than I can count that were shipped that way from eBay sellers. 98% of the time the books arrive in good shape with no visible damage. Then there is that other 2% of the time.

I don't know the answer to the OP's original question - which is an interesting one. The buyer returned and overgraded book to the seller. The seller claims it was received not in the condition sent. It appears that Paypal normally favors the buyers, but some sellers here speak of "winning" contested returns.

Hopefully the OP will post up what the resolution is when it is settled.