• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #14

18 posts in this topic

I've had this copy since the early 1980's. Overall very clean and smooth cover. There is a small dent on the stalactite under Spidey's left elbow. I wonder if pressing would take that out? (or if it's worth it). Thanks for any feedback. Great forum.

*** I've added some new pics..hopefully it's ok to post this amount for one book. Figured it would give a better idea of some of the defects. Of course the close-up pics really emphasize them! (especially that cover ding, which is really tiny but looks like a crater here!).

Also, on a two page spread there is what appears to be some sort of printer error where the paper looks folded over onto itself...any idea how something like that would affect the grading? Thanks again to all that have checked it out and/or responded. I truly appreciate it. ***

AMAZING_SPIDER-MAN-%2314.frnt.jpg

AMAZING_SPIDER-MAN-%2314.back.jpg

DSC04488_sm.jpg

DSC04500_sm.jpg

DSC04505_sm.jpg

DSC04473_sm.jpg

DSC04474_sm.jpg

DSC04475_sm.jpg

DSC04469_sm.jpg

DSC04491_sm.jpg

DSC04498_sm.jpg

boy, normally I feel the scans are a tad on the small size but this is one where I feel it is too big to grade. It is a nice book other than that small water spot on the bc. I am guessing 8.0 here.

CGC might give it even 8.5

If you sub it, let us know because this one won't be easy for most of us to guess I think.

8.0 - could be higher but i don't see it any lower. top edge of the back cover def brings it down to the VF range. i think it certs as an 8.0 with 2 moisture stains and sone impacting in the upper back spine with slight tearing. i don't think the touch of dust shadow will really affect it as i see plenty of those graded in the VF range.

I'll also say that this book has a look of being restored. Not to say that it has been but the edges just appear way too sharp at the top edge and there's a possibility of c.t. Again only a possibility of it without knowing it's back history or anything else. So I don't like to disparage the book, especially such a nice copy and clear 8.0 candidate. But I'd want the book graded by CGC before throwing $1000 at it.

That said, as is and if unrestored, I'd go with 7.5 as I discount water marks and I think CGC does as well.

Ed

Unfortunately, I agree with the possibility of Color Touch. It looks like someone used a ball point pen to fill in the creases on the spine. I would show it to someone before submitting it that can confirm the presence or absence of CT. Because of the water stain I think a 7.5 is probable, even though it presents much better. Sorry.

Thanks again for the replies. I'm going to take a closer look now at the spine to see if I can notice any color touch/ball point pen. I'm still planning on bringing this and a few other books to NYCC this October; hopefully they'll have someone there that can take a look at it before I submit it.

If Matt (Nelson) is going to be there, have him take a look at it. He used to do resto/pregrade checks at the big shows for a nominal fee (a few bucks).

He's under CGC umbrella now, so I'm not sure if he still provides this service. But, if he does, it's worth it.

In both cases, either if it’s yours to keep or if you have to sell it, I wouldn’t submit it.

There is the possibility of minor black color touch, and it would grade as "restored". Which doesn’t make sense to me, but it’s as minor color touch is treated, at the same level of professional restoration (which effectively alters the book).

It's not as evident in the scan as it is in the picture, but I'm a bit worried about the upper left top corner near Spidey's eye. Drastically different color (though it just may be the way the light is hitting it). To me, it's 8.0/8.5 with a distinct possibility of a color touch.

Why would yoy care about a slight color touch? Such minor color touch, properly speaking, is not "restoration". If you wished to grade it via CGC and sell it, it would be another question, as the "restored" label is despised by many collectors, but if it’s your copy, enjoy it as it is. :)

This is my copy of FF #3, I bought it to replace a CGC copy since I wished to be free to read the book. It has minor color touch in the purple area of the lettering blurb, but I don’t care at all…

FantasticFourNo_003_f_1480px.jpg