• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drowning my sorrows from a bad Sunday ebay closing

19 posts in this topic

I thought I had a winner...

two Infinity Gauntlet #1 CGC SS Starlin/Perez books (both 9.6) sold in the $170-180 range in the last month, with a range of bidders (7-10 each). My same book (CGC SS 9.6) came in from CGC last week so I listed it thinking that the last few losers from the previous auctions would at least get the price up in the 140-150 range...

nope

$70

doh!:facepalm::boo::censored:5MINz.gif

I didnt expect to end up at less than 50% of the other auctions. It seemed like a reasonable time to sell. Week after Superbowl, people maybe not quite to "saving for cons" time... but nope. I still came out a little ahead, but no where close to what I'd hoped.

I'd have done a BIN at $140 and just held the book if I knew then what I know now, but I figured with the multiple bidders, the Thanos tie in and everything I'd easily break $100... ugh

Anyone else have a "sure thing" just flop on the open market?

Lot's of times. eBay auctions make me very nervous. You just never know

yeah, and every other time i do a BIN when I worry there aren't a lot of buyers out there... this one I KNEW there were plenty of buyers out there... but alas...

two Infinity Gauntlet #1 CGC SS Starlin/Perez books (both 9.6) sold in the $170-180 range in the last month, with a range of bidders (7-10 each). My same book (CGC SS 9.6) came in from CGC last week so I listed it thinking that the last few losers from the previous auctions would at least get the price up in the 140-150 range...

nope

$70

I didnt expect to end up at less than 50% of the other auctions. It seemed like a reasonable to sell. Week after Superbowl, people maybe not quite to "saving for cons" time... but nope. I still came out a little ahead, but no where close to what I'd hoped.

I'd have done a BIN at $140 and just held the book if I knew then what I know now, but I figured with the multiple bidders, the Thanos tie in and everything I'd easily break $100... ugh

First off, sorry about the bad auction. But realistically, that is two relatively easy sigs on a 9.6 Copper book. That is not a recipe for sustainable high prices.

Of course, and not just once. And much bigger losses than that. It hurts. Shrug it off. You'll come out ahead on the next one.

(p.s. have you ever scored a nice book at a really low price and been happy as hell? that's the way your winner feels - at least someone's psyched!)

nope

$70

I didnt expect to end up at less than 50% of the other auctions. It seemed like a reasonable to sell. Week after Superbowl, people maybe not quite to "saving for cons" time... but nope. I still came out a little ahead, but no where close to what I'd hoped.

First off, sorry about the bad auction. But realistically, that is two relatively easy sigs on a 9.6 Copper book. That is not a recipe for sustainable high prices.

trust me I know.. that why I was surprised it was fetching decent coin in the first place (and why I put it on the market asap). I figured by this con season they were going to be a dime a dozen. I think $70 is much closer to realistic market value than the $180. It just hurts to be the one to correct the market.

(p.s. have you ever scored a nice book at a really low price and been happy as hell? that's the way your winner feels - at least someone's psyched!)

R-X, you are right, thats the way to think about it. The great deal buoy the bad ones. And I'm glad someone gets a good book out of it, and I didnt lose money, so I cant compalin...

ok either the Leinenkeugel is working, or Im starting to feel better.

Been there. I've concluded that it's not worth it to list books below a rational minimum you'd like to get on ebay. The number of times you might benefit from a wild bidding war are far less than the times someone else will get a "steal". Even more so with items not that hard to find. When checking sold listings it seems there's always a BINned copy of a book that sold for more than any auctioned ones. Some folks are just impatient.

Thats why I never sell anything.

In the past I have had a book at half the price to the same book in the next auction listed, with a seller that had crappy feedback, still out perform my better contion book and my 100% feedback.

You never can tell on the ebay/lottery man :makepoint:

In the past I have had a book at half the price to the same book in the next auction listed, with a seller that had crappy feedback, still out perform my better contion book and my 100% feedback.

Yeah, that's why you never sell anything. :)

Yeah, that's why you never sell anything. :)

Okay, that, and the fact that I am a complete hoarder :acclaim:

My wife asked me what should she do with my books if I die suddenly.

I told her to list them on Ebay and start everything at $1.00. Let the chips fall where they may. But I told her to not even try to sell the drek. The drek is kept in an entirely different room of the house. There are plenty of drek that could possibly fetch $10-15 bucks or so. But I told her not to bother with it, and to let our three adult sons just do what they want with them. My sons all know a little about comic books.

I will say this. With my "plan" above. There are going to be a lot of those very happy Ebay bidders.

I assume it would be alright for her to use my Ebay account and feedback rating, as she does not have one. But that might be a no-no ethically. Have to think about that.

I told her to list them on Ebay and start everything at $1.00. Let the chips fall where they may. But I told her to not even try to sell the drek. The drek is kept in an entirely different room of the house. There are plenty of drek that could possibly fetch $10-15 bucks or so. But I told her not to bother with it, and to let our three adult sons just do what they want with them. My sons all know a little about comic books.

I will say this. With my "plan" above. There are going to be a lot of those very happy Ebay bidders.

I assume it would be alright for her to use my Ebay account and feedback rating, as she does not have one. But that might be a no-no ethically. Have to think about that.

I love that you have a sudden death plan for your comics. I'm putting it in my will that all my comics are to be buried with me in an airtight vault. Something for future archeologists to find. Or maybe I'll just have a funeral pyre built out of comics, hmm... you've given me much to think about...

nope

$70

I didnt expect to end up at less than 50% of the other auctions. It seemed like a reasonable time to sell. Week after Superbowl, people maybe not quite to "saving for cons" time... but nope. I still came out a little ahead, but no where close to what I'd hoped.

I was bidding on this comic also, but I missed out because I had to get stuff done.

I love that you have a sudden death plan for your comics. I'm putting it in my will that all my comics are to be buried with me in an airtight vault. Something for future archeologists to find. Or maybe I'll just have a funeral pyre built out of comics, hmm... you've given me much to think about...

I would think that giving my wife the information for Heritage Auctions (or any of the others, like ComicConnect) would be the way to go. Don't they pick up the collection and do most of the work? Maybe I understand the process wrong.

To me the emphasis is making sure that my wife doesn't put the collection on the curb for the trash guys to pick up.

You should just get yourself slabbed with your funny papers. If you submit yourself this week before the con season starts you'll still be able to have a fulfilling life inside the CGC vault.

You should just get yourself slabbed with your funny papers. If you submit yourself this week before the con season starts you'll still be able to have a fulfilling life inside the CGC vault.

I have an excel spreadsheet with the name of the books I bought, how much I paid for them and when I bought them. I've told my wife to access that file in case I die and do what she thinks is best with the comics. She's an estate lawyer so I'm sure she'll figure it out. :grin: