• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon -- May 17-19, 2013 -- Romita Jr, Shatner, Steranko, Fillion

156 posts in this topic

looks like I'll be there.

wasnt sure before.

Cool, will see you there! I'll be there at least Saturday and maybe a bit of Sunday if needed. Was trying to be there Friday but it wasn't in the cards this time.

anyone subbing for this? Have one book by Steranko I would like done :)

DWC will be there. Or I'll be standing in his line (and planning to SS one) and would be happy to help out too. I'm not a witness or anything, so it will still end up through DWC.

anyone subbing for this? Have one book by Steranko I would like done :)

DWC will be there. Or I'll be standing in his line (and planning to SS one) and would be happy to help out too. I'm not a witness or anything, so it will still end up through DWC.

Awesome im going to shoot you a pm I would love some help with this.

According to a Facebook post, Len Wein has cancelled. Seems like its common for this show to list some good names, sell a bunch of tickets, and then the people cancel.

Dammit. Hopefully he's the only one...

According to a Facebook post, Len Wein has cancelled. Seems like its common for this show to list some good names, sell a bunch of tickets, and then the people cancel.

Dammit. Hopefully he's the only one...

And it wasn't even an official announcement.... It was posted as a response to a question.

I can tell you that is not the case here. I have personally talked to Len and he had planned to be in Dallas. So if something came up it was no fault of the promoters of the Dallas show.

I can tell you that is not the case here. I have personally talked to Len and he had planned to be in Dallas. So if something came up it was no fault of the promoters of the Dallas show.

I guess it's just bad luck on their part, they lost the walking dead actors last October, now Wein.

Well, I'm officially getting worried. We have an event advertised as a "comic con", but the exhibitor spotlights on the Facebook posts have shown a duo that paint wood cut outs, a video game dealer with dollar box comics, a leather goods dealer, and a booth that sells mustashes on a stick! This con is fast becoming an indoor flea market, with very little to do with comics. It's hard to take it seriously. I know there will be some dealers there with some nice material, but I can do without the swords, clothes, and leather.

Well, I'm officially getting worried. We have an event advertised as a "comic con", but the exhibitor spotlights on the Facebook posts have shown a duo that paint wood cut outs, a video game dealer with dollar box comics, a leather goods dealer, and a booth that sells mustashes on a stick! This con is fast becoming an indoor flea market, with very little to do with comics. It's hard to take it seriously. I know there will be some dealers there with some nice material, but I can do without the swords, clothes, and leather.

There will still be comic dealers there.

I'm sure Duncanville will be there. All Star Comics who are friends of mine will definitely be there too.

Bedrock told me in another thread he will not be there though.

Check your PMs

There will still be comic dealers there.

I'm sure Duncanville will be there. All Star Comics who are friends of mine will definitely be there too.

Bedrock told me in another thread he will not be there though.

Check your PMs

I was at the Duncanville store last weekend and came away with a nice buy. Nice guy to wheel and deal with. They had a bunch of nice high grade SA that they were going through.

Duncanville Bookstore will be at the show. Since Dallas is so close to our hometown (15 minutes south), we always go big at this one. We will have 50 to 75 boxes of half price Silver and Bronze Age comics. We will have a large selection of magazines, treasuries, vintage paperbacks, pulps, lithographs, toys and more. We have just bought a collection of Silver and Bronze age Marvel keys and this will be the first show we will have them at. Last but not least, for all those that are looking to fill out lists and/or on a tight budget, we will have over 275 boxes of $1 comics in alpha/numeric order.

As far as the show goes, I have done Ben's show for 15 years now and they are truly trying to put on a great show here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I believe this show is a little media heavy because Motor City is on the same weekend. Even so, I think it is a show that is worth attending. I know several great comic dealers from Texas, such as Cory with All-Star Comics (Houston), Scott with Comics Kingdom (Beaumont) and Boyd with Black Cat Comics (Austin) will all be there and they all have a nice selection of vintage comics at a reasonable price. I think once the promoters get a larger venue, the guest list will expand accordingly. That's my two cents. Hope to see everyone there and please stop by and say hello.

I've gone to the show (or shows if you add sci fi expo and fan days) for the past three years. I just get disappointed by the ratio of comic dealers to "other dealers"(leather, mustashes on a stick, cosplay, painted wood cutouts, and high school level art talent). I'm originally from the chicago area, and went to the Chicago Comic Con for 15 years before it switched to Wizard World Chicago. I am used to a really big show that is very focused on comic dealers. So with a population center the size of Dallas, and the central location to both coasts, I'm just surprised that there isn't a show in the same league as a Wizard World Chicago. Even if we look at WW Austin, it's in the same league, but we are talking huge difference in the quality and quantity of material.