• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Opportunity (Sketch/Sig Events) Standards?

232 posts in this topic

The standard should be open communication. I know that some opps take longer than others, and I go into it knowing that (I think most people do). What I don't appreciate are facilitators/artists who don't communicate about the status. I'm an easy going dude, as long as I know what is going on. Communication is always a good thing.

It doesn't take much for a facilitator to assure me that they are on top of the sketch opp - as long as I feel they are paying attention to business, I can live with delays.

+1

It's not really rocket science. A good Opp should have:

(1) A description of the types of sketches available (pencil, paint, copics, colored)

(2) What are the levels of sketch available (full color, background or not, wraparound etc.)

(3) A definition of what media are available (sketch covers, backing board, 11x17)

(4) A clear description of costs based upon the above

(5) Clear instruction for how to get media to facilitator (or if media is included)

(6) Clear instructions on how to get payments where they need to go

(7) A description of anticipated time frame (example I am going to get these to him in the next three weeks, he has stated that he will bring the finished products to WWChicago for submission onsite)

(8) Creation of a group PM for discussing any issues that crop up that are unexpected.

(9) Application of a rule of right reason -Ship in a reasonable time, respond to PMs in a reasonable time etc.

(10) Communicate when there are problems, and offer customers all reasonable opportunities to be satisfied i.e. try to be flexible when artists flake out, as they will from time to time.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

The standard should be open communication. I know that some opps take longer than others, and I go into it knowing that (I think most people do). What I don't appreciate are facilitators/artists who don't communicate about the status. I'm an easy going dude, as long as I know what is going on. Communication is always a good thing.

It doesn't take much for a facilitator to assure me that they are on top of the sketch opp - as long as I feel they are paying attention to business, I can live with delays.

+1

+2

Communication solves almost every problem, there are facilitators that I do not use because of previous poor communication or misrepresenting what is going on in the process which ends in bad results.

I just want to point out the aspect of communication that everyone seems to bring up here.

There's a difference between pro-active and reactive communications. As someone participating in an opp, I would expect proactive communications on status and updates.

Some of the better opps that I've been involved with actually would say "I have no updates, but I'll either post something new as it comes, or at least provide an update within "xxx" days/week or on the first of the month, whichever comes earlier". Basically, reach out to your customer base before they come to you with a complaint or query.

I would also expect timely responses to my queries on a reactive basis. I would expect at least a response within the week, or earlier if the facilitator is active on the boards.

As a base expectation, I would like to pose out there that there needs to be BOTH types of communication. Those of you in any service industry know this as part of a base set of consultative behaviors... if you want continued business, you have to display some aptitude in proactive and reactive communication.

Some of the facilitators that I've worked with have been very communicative and even personable when dealing with their customers, and that makes me more apt to deal with them in the future.

Idea!

Lets get rid of sketch ops!

Get them at a show...

If you think really hard, it makes sense...

JJ

That's probably the most secure and sure way of ensuring that sketches are done on time and as promised.

If they can't finish at the show, before it's over, then it doesn't get done.

People can sub the sketch with their own paperwork and get the books shipped back to them directly.

No one will have to wait forever if the artist gets tied up with deadlines for 6 months past the original promised date.

No one will get mad at facilitators for the aforementioned artist not meeting the deadline.

No one will get mad at facilitators for not shipping them their sketches too.

Great Idea!!!

It's not really rocket science. A good Opp should have:

(1) A description of the types of sketches available (pencil, paint, copics, colored)

(2) What are the levels of sketch available (full color, background or not, wraparound etc.)

(3) A definition of what media are available (sketch covers, backing board, 11x17)

(4) A clear description of costs based upon the above

(5) Clear instruction for how to get media to facilitator (or if media is included)

(6) Clear instructions on how to get payments where they need to go

(7) A description of anticipated time frame (example I am going to get these to him in the next three weeks, he has stated that he will bring the finished products to WWChicago for submission onsite)

(8) Creation of a group PM for discussing any issues that crop up that are unexpected.

(9) Application of a rule of right reason -Ship in a reasonable time, respond to PMs in a reasonable time etc.

(10) Communicate when there are problems, and offer customers all reasonable opportunities to be satisfied i.e. try to be flexible when artists flake out, as they will from time to time.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

This makes sense. Any potential facilitator should check this list ahead of time, and make sure they can adhere to those, and maybe be very explicit.

"I will respond to pm's within a week", "I will give at minimum monthly/weekly updates", the exact shipping rules I will follow are 'blah blah blah'.

Also, I advocate

-Explicitly stated penalties for non-payment.

-Potential remediation for mishaps. E.G. when/how can you ask for your money back if the artist is lagging. (The facilitator could/should work this out with the artist too, in a written contract, ahead of time.)

Why would we get rid of sketch opps? Why don't we ask all the boardies who have gotten sketches from opps over the last few years if they would like to do away with them

Got love for you JJ but I disagree. I completed over 80 sketches for boardies last year, this isn't counting all the sketches coming in for 2013...and I'm just one person :)

I do however have an idea I will be moving forward with soon, so sketch opps will be limited to the people that like, appreciate and invest in them. Boardies who don't like them won't even have them in their sightline. 100% invisibility is on the way :)

Chris Stevens, Dexter Soy, Dell'otto, etc. Don't do shows, and if they did they wouldn't put the same quality into the work at a con