• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

So the value of my book has dropped because an ugly 8.5 was somehow pressed to a ridiculous 9.6??? Not all 9.6s are created equal...

I remember your book vividly. I remember the collection it came from as well as when it sold. It was a really nice book.

Unfortunately, it's not always evil pressing There is often CGC's grading standards to take into account. They can and do vary from time to time.

That 8.5 looks like a very strict VF+ and it's possible that the 9.6 is probably a 9.4/9.6 tweener that somehow got the 9.6.

Evil or not, show me an 8.5 that went to a 9.6 on a straight resub.

I didn't imply that an 8.5 went to 9.6 on a straight resub. I was replying to this:

How can an 8.5 go to a 9.6???

...and trying to show that the grade swing from 8.5 - 9.6 was likely caused by more than just pressing.

...but if you really want to know, I sold Jive an Iron Man #55 CGC 9.0 a few years ago. He gave it a straight resub and it came back a 9.6 with no pressing.

Now it's not an 8.5 admittedly, but in my books and ciorac's that would constitute a ^^

:D and :P

Haven't collectors/ dealers noticed that prices are down as a direct result of this?

Of course, but the prospect of short-term gain outweighs the long-term adverse consequences.

A few years ago, I completed a deal to purchase the Williamsport top census Supermans

Actually as the census still reflects, I have not pressed any of the Williamsport Supermans... However I have slowly watched many lower graded books getting pressed to grades that now match or surpass mine. This has left an awful taste in my mouth for this hobby. It has polluted the census numbers with " manufactured" grades and consequently the value of my collection has dropped.

I am watching prices dip, as collectors are now keen to the fact that it is not worth it to invest in a " highest graded 9.4" when a 9.2 is just a squeeze away from regrading to a 9.4 or 9.6... This is not good for the hobby..

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has no surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

This is exactly why I pretty much got out of the hobby while the gettin' was still good. The writing was clearly on the wall and I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I had to choose between losing money because the standing of my books had been diluted or pressing books and thus having to dilute my principles.

I am urging the collecting community to do something.

Many of the most influential members of the collecting community have way too much of a vested interest to do something about it. Rather, they will probably start attacking you for being too hung up on the census or big numbers on labels, and that it's your own fault for paying up for top of the census.

Of course, this is a much discussed topic. I'm not trying to be argumentative in asking what would you suggest the collecting community do? hm

Personally, I will not bid on a book if I suspect it's been pressed. Before I bid on any expensive books, I check the archives on the Heritage site to see whether a book has ever shown up there with a lower grade. If it has, I won't touch it (which means I may have passed on books that may have only been re-submitted without pressing.)

Also, I don't think the multiples some people pay to have the "highest graded" copy are really justified; grading is too subjective for that. I don't bid much more agressively on 9.4s than I do on 9.2s or 9.0s.

Haven't collectors/ dealers noticed that prices are down as a direct result of this?

A few years ago, I completed a deal to purchase the Williamsport top census Supermans

Actually as the census still reflects, I have not pressed any of the Williamsport Supermans... However I have slowly watched many lower graded books getting pressed to grades that now match or surpass mine. This has left an awful taste in my mouth for this hobby. It has polluted the census numbers with " manufactured" grades and consequently the value of my collection has dropped.

I am watching prices dip, as collectors are now keen to the fact that it is not worth it to invest in a " highest graded 9.4" when a 9.2 is just a squeeze away from regrading to a 9.4 or 9.6... This is not good for the hobby..

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has no surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

I agree it's not good for the hobby! Paying crazy prices for highest graded copies aren't good either! I'm sure some books could have been undergraded the first time and then re-evaluated and given a higher grade. I don't agree that every book that has been given an upgrade was pressed into a higher grade. I'll definitely be staying away from the Superman 76 CGC 9.6 since I know that it used to be an 8.5. From an 8.5 to a 9.6 is too much of an upgrade in my opinion! EJR

Is this good for the hobby?

Good or not, this IS the hobby these days...but take solace in the fact that you're not the only one whose collection has been marginalized. CGC institutionalizing pressing (and other "blue label" manipulative practices) by now doing it in house isn't good for the hobby either, but it's good for CGC and the flippers making money. :)

You've got a great book there though! :headbang:

I will agree that this is the reality of the marketplace, but argue with you that this is our hobby.

Hobbyists don't do this sort of thing (CPR). Opportunists do.

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has now surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

This, my friend, will never happen. I've thrown in the towel myself. Not worth the grief. Now I just shake my head at stuff like this and pop a cold beer.

I'm not happy about it either. Unfortunately, it's too late for anything to be done about it.

Amen, Mike.

A possible solution I have offered previously...

PRESSING WOULD NO LONGER BE MANDATORY!

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s. The only reason why the digital 9s were created was to create an artificial value, as most near mint comics are not worth $5 from 1970 and up,so they had to come up with the digital 9s to make slabbing near mint comics worthwhile. These digital 9s especially created artificial value for copper and modern comic books. Think about it they have 9.8s for moderns and copper because moderns and copper near mints are only worth about a $1 raw.

Do away with the digital 9s, and the need to always press from a 8.5 to 9.6 won`t happen anymore! ;)

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s. The only reason why the digital 9s were created was to create an artificial value, as most near mint comics are not worth $5 from 1970 and up,so they had to come up with the digital 9s to make slabbing near mint comics worthwhile. These digital 9s especially created artificial value for copper and modern comic books. Think about it they have 9.8s for moderns and copper because near mints are only worth about a $1 raw.

Do away with the digital 9s, and the need to always press from a 8.5 to 9.6 won`t happen anymore! ;)

I prefer analog 9s

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s. The only reason why the digital 9s were created was to create an artificial value, as most near mint comics are not worth $5 from 1970 and up,so they had to come up with the digital 9s to make slabbing near mint comics worthwhile. These digital 9s especially created artificial value for copper and modern comic books. Think about it they have 9.8s for moderns and copper because near mints are only worth about a $1 raw.

I prefer analog 9s

I know one thing after looking at the GPA they make more money with modern digital 9s,like 9.6 and 9.8 slabs,then they do with golden age slabs,so their money plan has worked. They make so much money with the modern 9.8 slab that I don`t ever see them stopping digital 9s. They are great businessman, and that I have to respect. (thumbs u

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'digital 9' ?

9.2 9.4 9.6 9.8 9.9

all created to make more money.

Do away wth them,and will see a market correction.

It won`t happen though as because they would lose way to much money,especially the modern market.

Slabbed modern 9.8 = money

raw modern near mint = cover price or less.

I am surprised not many people talk about this.

:whistle:

9.2 9.4 9.6 9.8 9.9

It won`t happen though as because they would lose way to much money,especially the modern market.

I meet with a group of local comic collectors, at the library every other week. This was brought up. The person sugested 9.0 9.5 and 10.0

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s.

You can't do away with grade intervals. As values rise you will see more, not less intervals.

9.2 9.4 9.6 9.8 9.9

I don't go along with the thought that slabbed 9.8 moderns = money. The vast majority of modern 9.8s are worth $15 12 months after they are printed. When brand new, Beachbum gets $35 for non-variants and I know he has to work his off to find them. A few titles, like Walking Dead, hit it big but deciding which one title out of 3,000 is going to be hot is all luck.