• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

A few notable rehashed books...

Superman #76 a 9.6 (?)

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsuperman%26x%3D11%26y%3D12%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_962134&id=962134

Was a Superman #76 8.5 Williamsport!!

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7030&lotNo=91384

(sorry- can someone embed these pics...)

How can an 8.5 go to a 9.6???

Is this good for the hobby?

I paid $xxx for this Superman 9.6 5 years ago...

gary.jpg

So the value of my book has dropped because an ugly 8.5 was somehow pressed to a ridiculous 9.6??? Not all 9.6s are created equal...

Good or not, this IS the hobby these days...but take solace in the fact that you're not the only one whose collection has been marginalized. CGC institutionalizing pressing (and other "blue label" manipulative practices) by now doing it in house isn't good for the hobby either, but it's good for CGC and the flippers making money. :)

You've got a great book there though! :headbang:

Superman #76 a 9.6 (?)

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dauctions%26title%3Dsuperman%26x%3D11%26y%3D12%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_962134&id=962134

gary.jpg

So the value of my book has dropped because an ugly 8.5 was somehow pressed to a ridiculous 9.6??? Not all 9.6s are created equal...

I think this ( http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7030&lotNo=91384 ) was sold as an 8.5 in Baltimore this past year to one of dealers on the convention circut. I remember him being very excited about pressing it.

Haven't collectors/ dealers noticed that prices are down as a direct result of this?

A few years ago, I completed a deal to purchase the Williamsport top census Supermans

Actually as the census still reflects, I have not pressed any of the Williamsport Supermans... However I have slowly watched many lower graded books getting pressed to grades that now match or surpass mine. This has left an awful taste in my mouth for this hobby. It has polluted the census numbers with " manufactured" grades and consequently the value of my collection has dropped.

I am watching prices dip, as collectors are now keen to the fact that it is not worth it to invest in a " highest graded 9.4" when a 9.2 is just a squeeze away from regrading to a 9.4 or 9.6... This is not good for the hobby..

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has now surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

I am urging the collecting community to do something.

Superman #76 a 9.6 (?)

gary.jpg

Some people have said that can't happen, so you must be mistaken :insane:

Haven't collectors/ dealers noticed that prices are down as a direct result of this?

A few years ago, I completed a deal to purchase the Williamsport top census Supermans

Actually as the census still reflects, I have not pressed any of the Williamsport Supermans... However I have slowly watched many lower graded books getting pressed to grades that now match or surpass mine. This has left an awful taste in my mouth for this hobby. It has polluted the census numbers with " manufactured" grades and consequently the value of my collection has dropped.

I am watching prices dip, as collectors are now keen to the fact that it is not worth it to invest in a " highest graded 9.4" when a 9.2 is just a squeeze away from regrading to a 9.4 or 9.6... This is not good for the hobby..

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has no surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

I'm not happy about it either. Unfortunately, it's too late for anything to be done about it.

I remember your book vividly. I remember the collection it came from as well as when it sold. It was a really nice book.

Unfortunately, it's not always evil pressing There is often CGC's grading standards to take into account. They can and do vary from time to time.

That 8.5 looks like a very strict VF+ and it's possible that the 9.6 is probably a 9.4/9.6 tweener that somehow got the 9.6.

For instance someone pressed the Superman #98 9.4 in the Clink auction (originally a 9.0). It has no surpassed the 9.2 I own. I am having to "defensively" press many of my virgin books to retain top position in the census (and ultimately value.) When did pressing become a mandatory requirement for collectors who simply want to have the best? This is not why I became a collector...

Of course, this is a much discussed topic. I'm not trying to be argumentative in asking what would you suggest the collecting community do? hm

Didn't Adam (filter) bring this same issue up a while back with his copy of All Winners 1.

I don't see this changing until this equation is no longer true

comic + (press &| dry clean &| disassemble-reassemble &| micro trim) = $ in my pocket

Until this happens, I don't expect anything to change.

Didn't Adam (filter) bring this same issue up a while back with his copy of All Winners 1.

I don't see this changing until this equation is no longer true

comic + (press &| dry clean &| disassemble-reassemble &| micro trim) = $ in my pocket

Until this happens, I don't expect anything to change.

:o

Which issue?

Upset about the pressing game lowering the value of the All Winners 1 he had because someone pressed a copy into the same grade. Can't remember if it was a 9.4 or a 9.6.

A possible solution I have offered previously...

Assign two grades to each book. The first grade would represent the actual current condition (similar to how CGC currently grades). However the second grade would represent the 'potential' grade of the book. If the condition of the book can be improved upon with conventional pressing, the second grade would reflect the best potential grade.

This simple additional grade would do so much to help restore the predictability of this hobby. For most regular collectors that really have no idea how pressing works or how to spot "candidates" this grade would level the playing field. As a high grade/ top census collector I hate having to 'defensively' press books I buy and sell so as to maintain census position and ultimately value. I'm not good at spotting pressing candidates, don't have the time, and frankly this is not why I got into this hobby....

A second 'potential' grade would establish a more transparent hobby and PRESSING WOULD NO LONGER BE MANDATORY!

Which issue?

Upset about the pressing game lowering the value of the All Winners 1 he had because someone pressed a copy into the same grade. Can't remember if it was a 9.4 or a 9.6.

Ah, gotcha.

Again, to be fair, it's not only about the pressing. It's about CGC's grading standards which do fluctuate. A book can be a 9.2 or a 9.4 one day and a 9.6 on another day. It happens.

As a collector, the way I look at it is the following, as long as I am keeping the book in my collection, who cares ? It only hurts when you sell a book and someone else gets an upgrade on it. As a result of pressing I also care much less about the numerical grade and purchase more on eye appeal. I don't blame the pressers as much as I blame the collectors that pay stupid money for highest graded. if the difference in price

for a higher grade is relatively small, the pressing would slow down. In many cases it already has.

I remember your book vividly. I remember the collection it came from as well as when it sold. It was a really nice book.

Unfortunately, it's not always evil pressing There is often CGC's grading standards to take into account. They can and do vary from time to time.

That 8.5 looks like a very strict VF+ and it's possible that the 9.6 is probably a 9.4/9.6 tweener that somehow got the 9.6.

Evil or not, show me an 8.5 that went to a 9.6 on a straight resub.

Evil or not, show me an 8.5 that went to a 9.6 on a straight resub.

^^

That's the beast we deal with. Pressing doesnt bother me, it was prevalent when I joined the hobby. Something I accepted with no problem because we really have no choice. I don't buy books to CPR but if I do buy a book that has potential I just have it maximized because someone else will do it. I also don't mind buying a book already pressed as I know I will always be happy with the book for the long haul. At the end of the day, we the collectors have paid mass money for a .2/.4/.6 difference. Something that can vary at any given day at CGC. If anything, it's shame on us.