• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s.

You can't do away with grade intervals. As values rise you will see more, not less intervals.

I think that's appropriate, don't you?

Of course. When you are talking about books where on little grade increment could mean 5, 6 or even possibly 7 figures one day it's going to be a necessity.

You can't do away with grade intervals. As values rise you will see more, not less intervals.

When books change by an interval on straight resub, it would make no sense to make the intervals finer. Unless of course the goal is to encourage more resubbing and thus earn more revenue. That's why it makes no sense, but will happen. And collectors will fall for it.

When books change by an interval on straight resub, it would make no sense to make the intervals finer. Unless of course the goal is to encourage more resubbing and thus earn more revenue. That's why it makes no sense, but will happen. And collectors will fall for it.

Grading consistency is one thing but it's entirely another when there is an actual difference in quality between two books in the same grade.

A couple of thoughts.

1)More players buy books with an eye towards pressing them than buy books to leave them in slabs. Fighting against the money is a losing position.

2)I've been talking about grade inflation for years accompanied by falling prices as more issues reach the higher grades. Welcome to my world.

3)I have a question? What are the odds of buying a GA book in VF or higher (from any source) which hasn't been pressed? Recently I had a book pressed and after I sold it I saw the book upped to a 9.2 from my pressed 8.0. My guess is that we are in the early stage of pressing pressed books hoping for still higher grades. (shrug)

A possible solution I have offered previously...

PRESSING WOULD NO LONGER BE MANDATORY!

A simple solution would be to do away with digital 9s. The only reason why the digital 9s were created was to create an artificial value, as most near mint comics are not worth $5 from 1970 and up,so they had to come up with the digital 9s to make slabbing near mint comics worthwhile. These digital 9s especially created artificial value for copper and modern comic books. Think about it they have 9.8s for moderns and copper because near mints are only worth about a $1 raw.

Do away with the digital 9s, and the need to always press from a 8.5 to 9.6 won`t happen anymore! ;)

I prefer analog 9s

Old School :headbang:

A couple of thoughts.

3) Recently I had a book pressed and after I sold it I saw the book upped to a 9.2 from my pressed 8.0. My guess is that we are in the early stage of pressing pressed books hoping for still higher grades. (shrug)

I think this has been going on for a while. As Roy has mentioned, it's just not the pressing, it is also the grading of CGC. Scenario(actually happened), a book is submitted, pregrades at 9.6 but ships at 9.0 because a hidden flaw was detected by the final grader. This book is resubmitted onsite and gets the 9.6 = the hidden flaw was missed. The book gets pressed and resubmitted again and gets a 9.8. So basically, a 9.0 is now in a 9.8 holder. Same book, same flaw, different submissions.

It's all just a byproduct of the process. The process is flawed. Oh well ?!?

A couple of thoughts.

1)More players buy books with an eye towards pressing them than buy books to leave them in slabs. Fighting against the money is a losing position.

2)I've been talking about grade inflation for years accompanied by falling prices as more issues reach the higher grades. Welcome to my world.

3)I have a question? What are the odds of buying a GA book in VF or higher (from any source) which hasn't been pressed? Recently I had a book pressed and after I sold it I saw the book upped to a 9.2 from my pressed 8.0. My guess is that we are in the early stage of pressing pressed books hoping for still higher grades. (shrug)

Over the years, it has become increasingly important for me inspect certified books in person before bidding. Perhaps 10 years from now we'll get to a point where inspecting the slabs and their auction history will become just as important as inspecting raw books was before CGC. It does feel a little bit like going around in a big spiral: we'll end up somewhere different but it may not be all that far away from where we started.

A couple of thoughts.

Over the years, it has become increasingly important for me inspect certified books in person before bidding. Perhaps 10 years from now we'll get to a point where inspecting the slabs and their auction history will become just as important as inspecting raw books was before CGC. It does feel a little bit like going around in a big spiral: we'll end up somewhere different but it may not be all that far away from where we started.

But at least we will still have those cool plastic cases

To me one of the bigger issues is that once the book is slabbed, one cannot see the internal defects.

There are so many instances of people trying to judge the "accuracy" of the CGC grade by examining the book while it is still inside the slab. Even if one gets the grader notes, those notes may not tell the whole story of what defects might be inside. So to me, the whole notion of determining the "accuracy" of the CGC grade of the slab (including things like CVA certification) are a bit absurd.

Further, we have very little idea of what types of defects (internal or external) contribute in exactly what way to a CGC grade. Nor how the "extent"/"severity" of any of these defects contribute to the grade.

And certainly, if it is true that a straight re-sub (without pressing) on a different day can receive a different grade, then really, where does that leave us ...

A couple of thoughts.

I think you will continue to be part of a very small minority of collectors who will insist on seeing a slabbed book in person before purchasing. It will definitely never become like raw books used to be.

I`m amazed at how many people still don`t even need to see a scan of a slabbed book before being willing to buy.

The implications of this are interesting. Are Matt and other pressers intentionally not ironing out every problem they see on a client`s book so that they or their cronies can buy the book if and when it comes up for sale so that they can further maximize its potential?

I read all this hoping that there would actually be some conversation about the CLink auction :sorry:

Kinda reminiscent of a while back when whatever topic a thread started on, it ended up being about pressing.

As I observed a couple of pages ago, I think the CLink auction has more interesting stuff than the HA auction. HA has the Tec 27, a few other big-dollar GA books, and lots of OA, but seems pretty routine.

For the average collector, CLink is offering a lot of good stuff including no less than two mid-grade copies of "Headlights Betty," some high-grade, off-beat SA, and some stuff in one of my main collecting interests (I ain't sayin' what until the auction is over lol )

I put in a lot of tracking bids and am looking forward to winning a number of books ( :wishluck: ) as opposed to probably no more than a few -- if that -- on the HA auction.

The implications of this are interesting. Are Matt and other pressers intentionally not ironing out every problem they see on a client`s book so that they or their cronies can buy the book if and when it comes up for sale so that they can further maximize its potential?

Rather than jumping to the worst possible conclusion, shouldn't we at least consider the most likely implication which is that some people are better at pressing than others?

Clink put cva stickers on some of my books for free! I wonder if it will make my books sell for more. Funny thing is when I purchased them I thought they just looked nice. I didn't think they were the better of the graded copies. Hopefully they sell for 2x as much with the sticker though >:) no complaints here

3)I have a question? What are the odds of buying a GA book in VF or higher (from any source) which hasn't been pressed?

Not very good if it's in a slab. Remember, Borock told us when he left CGC that we should just assume any book he's selling that's in a slab has been pressed, and that's probably a safe assumption for all HG books these days. The only question is - how many times has it been pressed, and is there anything there left in there for me to squeeze out of it? hm

Recently I had a book pressed and after I sold it I saw the book upped to a 9.2 from my pressed 8.0. My guess is that we are in the early stage of pressing pressed books hoping for still higher grades. (shrug)

Yeah man, just keep squashing those suckers until they come back with the desired grade. :sumo:

Also, now that CGC is doing their own pressing, we "might" get better grades by allowing them to press our books in-house right before they grade 'em. :gossip:

Borock told us when he left CGC that we should just assume any book he's selling that's in a slab has been pressed, and that's probably a safe assumption for all HG books these days.

That sounds like a good reason not to buy anything from Steve Borock. And it's also why I haven't bought anything from Wonderworld Comics, even though they've listed a lot of comics on my want list over the past year.

But I don't agree that all high grade books have been pressed because I've seen a lot of high grade books with defects that could easily be pressed out. I actually have a number of them; I'm afraid to sell any of them because I don't want somebody pressing them and possibly damaging them in the process. I do think you've got a better shot of avoiding pressed books (or multi-pressed books) if you buy books that have been in the slab for at least 6 or 7 years. That's why more than half of my slabbed books are old-label books.

I'm hoping a CGC competitor pops up who offers a pressing detection service. Pressing may be impossible to catch with the naked eye, but I'm betting a good microscope would find some traces of it.

I do think you've got a better shot of avoiding pressed books (or multi-pressed books) if you buy books that have been in the slab for at least 6 or 7 years. That's why more than half of my slabbed books are old-label books.

"Old Label Goodness"! :acclaim:

I read all this hoping that there would actually be some conversation about the CLink auction :sorry:

Kinda reminiscent of a while back when whatever topic a thread started on, it ended up being about pressing.

As I observed a couple of pages ago, I think the CLink auction has more interesting stuff than the HA auction. HA has the Tec 27, a few other big-dollar GA books, and lots of OA, but seems pretty routine.

For the average collector, CLink is offering a lot of good stuff including no less than two mid-grade copies of "Headlights Betty," some high-grade, off-beat SA, and some stuff in one of my main collecting interests (I ain't sayin' what until the auction is over lol )

I put in a lot of tracking bids and am looking forward to winning a number of books ( :wishluck: ) as opposed to probably no more than a few -- if that -- on the HA auction.

They've got a complete run of Crime Suspenstories, right after a complete run sold in their November auction. Should be interesting to see if they pull similar prices or if having these two sets sell close together will significantly pull down the results. Specifically I know lots of people will be watching the 22s, which are already up there in price.

Not much else in my GA wheelhouse, a few Crypts and a couple of Moon Girls that will be interesting to watch. Does it seem like there have been a bunch of the MGs hitting the market lately? Sparkle City had a couple about a month ago, and I seem to remember seeing a few others, maybe on HA.

Definitely agree on the strength of the overall comics auction compared to HA. Seems like ComicConnect's next auction is shaping up nicely too. Is this the start of a trend? I've always wondered if HA would be able to stay such a dominant player with a fee structure so much higher than their competition.