• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb CLink Auction

342 posts in this topic

The posit already took that into account. I think the true question is, who does CGC have left that instills that kind of confidence?

When it comes to Golden Age? Nobody.

So has there been a decline in GA submissions as a result of this vote of no confidence. It's really a question of whether people even care anymore who's grading or checking for resto. If that's the case, I would argue PGX doesn't get more business b/c of the complete lack of trust in their impartiality. Frankly, I think the initial costs of entry work against a competitor. Add to that, the possibility (since no one knows for sure who the owners are) that someone like Heritage or Metropolis some other large submitter, owns part of CGC.

I think you are correct on the cost of start up. Gotta engineer a new slab design, engineer a new slabbing machine, develop the software to handle a potentially enormous data base, develop a web presence that will rival CGC and maybe even incorporate CGC's certification data. Of course, you aren't reinventing the wheel anymore so there is a least a template to mimic. Once you have the backing, how long would all that take? How long did the guys who started CGC take to get up and running once they had the cash?

As far as folks with credibility? I think there are nearly enough well-known and reputable folks who (at least occasionally) post in the GA forum to staff a credible competitor.

The posit already took that into account. I think the true question is, who does CGC have left that instills that kind of confidence?

So has there been a decline in GA submissions as a result of this vote of no confidence. It's really a question of whether people even care anymore who's grading or checking for resto. If that's the case, I would argue PGX doesn't get more business b/c of the complete lack of trust in their impartiality. Frankly, I think the initial costs of entry work against a competitor. Add to that, the possibility (since no one knows for sure who the owners are) that someone like Heritage or Metropolis some other large submitter, owns part of CGC.

Years ago, Jim Halperin indicated that Heritage owns a 25% stake in CGC's parent company.

So a new company just lost a huge submission client and Heritage could go as far as to not agree to auction any 3rd party books. Has there ever been a PGX book go through?

Years ago, Jim Halperin indicated that Heritage owns a 25% stake in CGC's parent company.

So a new company just lost a huge submission client and Heritage could go as far as to not agree to auction any 3rd party books. Has there ever been a PGX book go through?

If you search for PGX, you get zero results in auctions, and just one book in their buy section.

If you search for PGX, you get zero results in auctions, and just one book in their buy section.

Obviously Heritage is a huge submission client of CGC but I understand that due to the increased and extended turnaround times that they have begun submitting less books. I haven't checked the recent Sunday auctions but apparently there has been an increase in raw books of lower dollar value that would have formerly been CGC graded but have not been because it simply takes too long to get them back.

Does anyone actually think Halperin would not allow another grading company's books into their auctions?

If there was another legitimate grading company out there you can bet every auction house would allow them in. Nobody out there is turning away free money.

Obviously Heritage is a huge submission client of CGC but I understand that due to the increased and extended turnaround times that they have begun submitting less books. I haven't checked the recent Sunday auctions but apparently there has been an increase in raw books of lower dollar value that would have formerly been CGC graded but have not been because it simply takes too long to get them back.

Yeah, it's quite noticeable.

Does anyone actually think Halperin would not allow another grading company's books into their auctions?

If there was another legitimate grading company out there you can bet every auction house would allow them in. Nobody out there is turning away free money.

Sometimes business doesn't quite work that way. It's not unheard of for the "big dogs" in an industry to try and muscle their business partners into not dealing with their competitors. I have no idea if this would happen here or not, but I do know that sometimes companies do turn away free money for fear of repercussions from their larger clients.

Sounds like you have given this much thought Roy.

Although I think you should give your new grading service a real name, rather then a bunch of letters.

Letter abbreviations are so 2000

meh

Although I think you should give your new grading service a real name, rather then a bunch of letters.

meh

Huh. I was going to suggest LPCC, but maybe Leather Pants Comic Certification would be better.

meh

Huh. I was going to suggest LPCC, but maybe Leather Pants Comic Certification would be better.

That is too close to "Leather Pants Catering Company"

Roy's other business.

Sometimes business doesn't quite work that way. It's not unheard of for the "big dogs" in an industry to try and muscle their business partners into not dealing with their competitors. I have no idea if this would happen here or not, but I do know that sometimes companies do turn away free money for fear of repercussions from their larger clients.

That happened in our neck of the woods in the automotive industry at the local Benz dealer I worked at. There was a mechanic looking for a job. He wasn't hired so he opened up his own shop. The local dealership then tried to freeze him out by not selling him any parts. He ended up sourcing parts from Toronto (or elsewhere) and eventually became the second largest game in town. Why? Because he was good at what he did.

Heritage would probably lose more trying to freeze out a competitor by not auctioning their books than they would just allowing them in the auctions.

Exactly. Who is this trusted team that you are hiring that instills confidence in the hobby and takes half of CGCs business from day one?!? Which restoration expert are they hiring that instills more confidence in the hobby than Matt? Which graders? Who is leading this?

As far as restoration experts go, what about Susan Cicconi? I would trust her restoration detection against anyone's. Bill Sarill is another option assuming he's still around...

meh

Nobody has to give it a whole lot of thought. Do you think Heritage would let Clink, C'onnect and eBay take them all? If every other major auction house carries another grading company's books (lets say it was a legitimate company with real credentials), do you think Heritage would just stand by and let them? It's just simple business.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the letter abbreviations.

(shrug)

Roy's other business.

You jest. I have some clothing line ideas in the works!

:cloud9:

Roy's other business.

You mean, like... clothes without buttons?

How will my pants stay up?

:ohnoez:

That happened in our neck of the woods in the automotive industry at the local Benz dealer I worked at. There was a mechanic looking for a job. He wasn't hired so he opened up his own shop. The local dealership then tried to freeze him out by not selling him any parts. He ended up sourcing parts from Toronto (or elsewhere) and eventually became the second largest game in town. Why? Because he was good at what he did.

Heritage would probably lose more trying to freeze out a competitor by not auctioning their books than they would just allowing them in the auctions.

I'm sure there are quite a few success stories like this one. I'm sure there are quite a few businesses that closed down because of practices like this as well.

My post was just a direct response to your initial question. Yes, I think there is a possibility that Heritage would not allow a new legitimate grading company into their auctions for the reasons I outlined above. Whether or not it would benefit them or hurt them in the long run, only time would tell.

Again, this is all theoretical. I have very very little knowledge about how Heritage runs things behind their curtain.

Roy's other business.

You mean, like... clothes without buttons?

How will my pants stay up?

:ohnoez:

I wouldn't tell you. You'd only make fun of me, anyways.

(tsk)

Normally I would say, just like around here, if you have the right books it really doesn't matter what else is going on, but if a large auction house didn't want to promote another grading company by offering books certified by that company ( because they have a stake in the current leader in the business), then I suppose they could strongly suggest and arrange that the books be resubmitted before offered at auction.