• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My hero, Ian Levine

248 posts in this topic

IN the words of the best Prog Rock Group YES: " Don't surround yourself with your self, move

on back two squares, send that'Instant Karama ' to me inital it with loving care...."

'Cause it's time is time in time with your time and

its news is captured...

"Move yourself

You always live your life

Never thinking of the future

Prove yourself

You are the move you make

Take your chances win or lose her"

BTW, where's the hate? We were discussing sarcasm... rather sarcastically at that.)

Where's the hate, you ask ??????

How about...

"You could no sooner change your stripes than a scorpion could resist biting its life-saver. You do something nice,and can't resist using the occasion to berate people anyway. Way to go,Wanker!"

Or.....

Ian,

Maybe its a cultural thing but in America we spell out the entire word FiretrUCK,we don't use the contraction as you do so insistently in your PMs.

Now,would you be so kind as to explain the idiom FiretrUCK OFF that you are so fond of sending me?

Well, along these lines? Tell us your favorite 10 DC issues and favorite characters. Which ones do you like the least? Tell us about a favorite story or storyline you felt an attachment to.

FAVOURITE TEN DC ISSUES (for various reasons)

Justice League Of America 10 and 11

Adventure Comics 351 and 352

New Fun 1

More Fun 52

All Star 13

Flash 123

Adventure Comics 40

Sandman (1990s) 1

(can I squeeze in Justice League Of America 21 and 22, and therefore have 12 ???)

FAVOURITE CHARACTERS

The Metal Men

The Inferior Five

Lois Lane

Jimmy Olsen

Doctor Occult

Kamandi

Justice League of America (as in the Gardner Fox issues)

The Legion Of Super Heroes (as in Adventure Comics approx 300 to 360)

Sugar And Spike

Scribbly

LEAST FAVOURITE DC TITLES

Lobo

Sweatshop

Yeah

Blue Devil

Icon

Static

Hardware

Blood Syndicate

Enginehead

Ambush Bug

Gen 13

Checkmate

Thundercats

Impulse

Young Heroes In Love

Superboy And The Ravers

FAVOURITE STORYLINES

Particularly the two part Legion story in Adventure Comics where the water supply on Earth was tainted, the President was corrupt, and the Legion were outlawed (very like the later episode of Babylon 5 called "Severed Dreams"). Also the first fatal Five two parter in Adventure Comics 351 and 352.

ALL the early Justice League Of America issues from 1 to 60

ALL the Metal Men apart from those stupid isssues where they became human.

EVERY Sugar and Spike ever created.

EVERY Inferior Five.

The first seven issues of Sandman

And even the current "Identity Crisis"

And even the current "Identity Crisis"

Ian -

You should come down to the modern section and post in the Identity Crisis Spoiler Thread. I'm sure you could add good insight to the possible culprit(s) given your knowledge of DC history and characters. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmm... you felt the quality of Gaiman's Sandman dropped with issue #8?

Welcome back, by the way!

Not at all. I just particularly liked the use in the first few comics of legendary DC icons but seen in a different light - Cain from the House Of Mystery, Abel from the House Of Secrets, the three witches from The Witching Hour, Hellblazer, Doctor Destiny (although a bit too sick), and the lovely cameo of the Golden Age Sandman.

Not at all. I just particularly liked the use in the first few comics of legendary DC icons but seen in a different light - Cain from the House Of Mystery, Abel from the House Of Secrets, the three witches from The Witching Hour, Hellblazer, Doctor Destiny (although a bit too sick), and the lovely cameo of the Golden Age Sandman.

Got it! And as I recall, there was also a cameo from Mr. Miracle and J'onn J'onzz in one of those earliest issues.

And I agree, the diner scene with Dr. Destiny in #6 was sick. Caused me to drop the book-- I didn't come back in until #16 or so, and then caught back up via The Doll's House tpb.

heres another little bit of comics cleverness.

DC had a short series called Entropy something. In it were strange marginal superheroes and villains. Two I remember were Envelope Girl, who would envelop you in her cloak and "mail you" somewhere else in the world. Then there was some guy who's power was to be able to rearrange your living room furnature in just such a way that you would go mad and kill your whole family! Sort of an antisocial riff on the whole chaos theory thing of a butterfly flapping its wings starting a hurrican 1000s miles away!! Makes yo ulook at your sofa in a whole new way!

I should reread it... I dont remember much about it other than how clever and sick the idea was!

The Corinthian was the "Guest of Honor" at the convention. Remember? He had mouths for eyes.

heres another little bit of comics cleverness.

DC had a short series called Entropy something. In it were strange marginal superheroes and villains. Two I remember were Envelope Girl, who would envelop you in her cloak and "mail you" somewhere else in the world. Then there was some guy who's power was to be able to rearrange your living room furnature in just such a way that you would go mad and kill your whole family! Sort of an antisocial riff on the whole chaos theory thing of a butterfly flapping its wings starting a hurrican 1000s miles away!! Makes yo ulook at your sofa in a whole new way!

You're thinking of Milligan and Fegredo's Enigma 8 part miniseries - one of my favourite ever stories. This series really pushed the envelope (no pun intended) in terms of psychology, subtlety and surrealism. A tour de force, and IMO more demanding reading than Sandman, or even Milligan's Shade.

Duncan Fegredo (a British artist who I've met a few times) said that the reader may notice a dramatic change in the art in this series, from ersatz and erratic to slick and professional. This wasn't done for stylistic reasons, but because Fegredo, an artist who had never done sequential art before, was basically learning the ropes as he went along.

Ian! I agree with many of your choices (particularly the Metal Men and LOSH, but Ambush Bug?!?! ON YOUR LIST OF LEAST FAVORITES?!?!?

Have I missed something ???

Do I need to go look at it again ?? And Son Of Ambush Bug too ??? I dismissed them years ago as rubbish.

Ian! I agree with many of your choices (particularly the Metal Men and LOSH, but Ambush Bug?!?! ON YOUR LIST OF LEAST FAVORITES?!?!?

Have I missed something ???

Do I need to go look at it again ?? And Son Of Ambush Bug too ??? I dismissed them years ago as rubbish.

Well, I think SOME of that stuff is absolutely hysterical... but it's safe to say that my sense of humor is probably as rare as your New Adventure 26. insane.gif

In fact, my feelings for those books is probably entirely nostalgia-driven... but nevertheless, how many books can to have a giant koala as the main villain?!

You can, of course, imagine my delight when I discovered that not only are the Ambush Bug original pages easy to find, but they're relatively cheap, too! And with no further ado, I give you:

THE MAJORKHAOS AMBUSH BUG ORIGINAL ART COLLECTION (well, two of them...)!!!

991928708.jpg

991929009.jpg