• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My hero, Ian Levine

248 posts in this topic

heres another little bit of comics cleverness.

DC had a short series called Entropy something. In it were strange marginal superheroes and villains. Two I remember were Envelope Girl, who would envelop you in her cloak and "mail you" somewhere else in the world. Then there was some guy who's power was to be able to rearrange your living room furnature in just such a way that you would go mad and kill your whole family! Sort of an antisocial riff on the whole chaos theory thing of a butterfly flapping its wings starting a hurrican 1000s miles away!! Makes yo ulook at your sofa in a whole new way!

You're thinking of Milligan and Fegredo's Enigma 8 part miniseries - one of my favourite ever stories. This series really pushed the envelope (no pun intended) in terms of psychology, subtlety and surrealism. A tour de force, and IMO more demanding reading than Sandman, or even Milligan's Shade.

Duncan Fegredo (a British artist who I've met a few times) said that the reader may notice a dramatic change in the art in this series, from ersatz and erratic to slick and professional. This wasn't done for stylistic reasons, but because Fegredo, an artist who had never done sequential art before, was basically learning the ropes as he went along.

yes thats the one... I really enjoyed it and especially Fegredo's artwork. Very original style. Id like to see him do more, but he hasnt seemed to have done much more than a few covers lately, right?

I agree with many of your choices (particularly the Metal Men and LOSH, but Ambush Bug?!?! ON YOUR LIST OF LEAST FAVORITES?!?!? In fact, my feelings for those books is probably entirely nostalgia-driven... but nevertheless, how many books can to have a giant koala as the main villain?!You can, of course, imagine my delight when I discovered that not only are the Ambush Bug original pages easy to find, but they're relatively cheap, too! And with no further ado, I give you:THE MAJORKHAOS AMBUSH BUG ORIGINAL ART COLLECTION (well, two of them...)!!!

Which have sadly done nothing to change my original opinion of the comic

I agree with many of your choices (particularly the Metal Men and LOSH, but Ambush Bug?!?! ON YOUR LIST OF LEAST FAVORITES?!?!? In fact, my feelings for those books is probably entirely nostalgia-driven... but nevertheless, how many books can to have a giant koala as the main villain?!You can, of course, imagine my delight when I discovered that not only are the Ambush Bug original pages easy to find, but they're relatively cheap, too! And with no further ado, I give you:THE MAJORKHAOS AMBUSH BUG ORIGINAL ART COLLECTION (well, two of them...)!!!

Which have sadly done nothing to change my original opinion of the comic

I want to hug you. With a knife.

Join the queue

No, Ian... unlike those poseurs and sissies, I don't ACTUALLY hate you.

(Now we'll have to hear from the "I don't HATE Ian, I just don't agree with anything he says or does nor the way he goes about saying or doing it" crowd... see what you've done?? You monster!)

You must understand, here in America, we have certain preconceived notions about how you Brits are supposed to act. You're supposed to be James Bond and Mr. Belvedere, Eric Idle and Mr. Bean... all class, humor, and tact.

You're none of that.

BUT IT'S OKAY! We have people like that in America too... we just usually don't waste our time talking to them. We just elect them into political office and sequester them in Washington D.C. for a few years.

(But seriously, a giant koala. Come on. That's funny stuff.)

Join the queue

(Now we'll have to hear from the "I don't HATE Ian, I just don't agree with anything he says or does nor the way he goes about saying or doing it" crowd... see what you've done?? You monster!)

You must understand, here in America, we have certain preconceived notions about how you Brits are supposed to act. You're supposed to be James Bond and Mr. Belvedere, Eric Idle and Mr. Bean... all class, humor, and tact.

You're none of that.

BUT IT'S OKAY! We have people like that in America too... we just usually don't waste our time talking to them. We just elect them into political office and sequester them in Washington D.C. for a few years.

The funniest part is that it's true 27_laughing.gif

Join the queue

You're none of that.

I wouldn't say it if it wasn't. confused-smiley-013.gif

Join the queue

You're none of that.

I wouldn't say it if it wasn't. confused-smiley-013.gif

and thats the truth 27_laughing.gif

Jeez, go away on holiday for a few days and it all kicks off again here!

Ian, very very pleased you're back old mate. Well done on the gift and the final stage of your quest. The remaining dissenters won't f*** with you while I'm here.

DC faves -

Flash 123 - one of mine too - when I was in my teens in the 1980s I could never afford one - finally got a VFN copy last year - after 18 years! Stunning book!

Blue Devil: believe it or not, BD was one of my fav characters back then too. I was at my auntie's in Scarboro (North Yorkshire folks) and bought Fury Of Firestorm 24 at one of those sea-side newsagents - it was one of my first American comics! I also bought JLA 179 (I think) had a battle with Starrro and a Bolland cover. Waited about 10 years to get the sequel.

Anyway, glad you're back!

Ewan smile.gif

Ian is a righteous fellow! Dont care what you guys say!

His gift to Joanna is just one of his many charitable acts.

Once , when I was a small child living in a woodcutters shack in the Black-Forest, I was saved from a pack of snarling man-eating wolves by Ian and his Blue Ox , The Brain.

Another time I was caught unawares over saxony by 'der rote Kampfflieger'and his flying Circus. Ian single handedly fought them off until I could land safely in New Jersey where-upon Ian invented the lightbulb and elastic waistbands.

Finally , as a SOF sgt in Cambodia, I found myself at the final level in Ho-Chi-Minhs' citadel of ultimate evil. It was a tough situation as I had no ammo or extra lives left. Just as Ho-Chi-Minh fused with Godzilla to form HoZilla SuperSajen lvl3 , Ian appeared and Dumped his warehouse find of NewUniverse titles on the fused pair thus consigning them to a papery grave many miles thick.

I owe Ian more than you silly people can ever know.

Once , when I was a small child living in a woodcutters shack in the Black-Forest, I was saved from a pack of snarling man-eating wolves by Ian and his Blue Ox , The Brain.

Another time I was caught unawares over saxony by 'der rote Kampfflieger'and his flying Circus. Ian single handedly fought them off until I could land safely in New Jersey where-upon Ian invented the lightbulb and elastic waistbands.

Finally , as a SOF sgt in Cambodia, I found myself at the final level in Ho-Chi-Minhs' citadel of ultimate evil. It was a tough situation as I had no ammo or extra lives left. Just as Ho-Chi-Minh fused with Godzilla to form HoZilla SuperSajen lvl3 , Ian appeared and Dumped his warehouse find of NewUniverse titles on the fused pair thus consigning them to a papery grave many miles thick.

LMAO

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

We have people like that in America too... we just usually don't waste our time talking to them. We just elect them into political office and sequester them in Washington D.C. for a few years.

Yes.....

I saw Fahrenheit 911.

It was all foretold in Babylon 5 - the same story but in a futuristic setting.

Lets hope no-one fixes your November elections THIS time.

We have people like that in America too... we just usually don't waste our time talking to them. We just elect them into political office and sequester them in Washington D.C. for a few years.

Yes.....

I saw Fahrenheit 911.

It was all foretold in Babylon 5 - the same story but in a futuristic setting.

Lets hope no-one fixes your November elections THIS time.

Science fiction does have that peculiar habit of becoming science fact. I would imagine, if anything, they will have perfected the art of election-rigging this time around, so at least we won't have it flaunted in our faces.

I'm trying to think of a way to keep this thread comic-related... crazy.gif

Are you buying all the Vertigo titles, too? And if you are, are you as impressed by "Fables" as most people seem to be? I got pretty bored with it after the "Animal Farm" arc.

i want some of what you'r smoking

Ian and his Blue Ox, The Brain WTF

sign-funnypost.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifdevil.gif