• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

The ECCC has only been stymied by one thing: most of them are qualified.

To find an unsigned, unnumbered one in NM+ condition is quite a difficult thing to do. If you are lucky enough to grab a yellow SS one that's a whole different ball of wax....but the Universal blues are a rare breed. In spite of that the pricing for those numbered and signed as well as numbered and unsigned ECCCs is quite impressive especially during the summer con lull.

I expect with the recent revelations pertaining to the next arc, special issue and ongoing status that these ECCCs will start to go premium in pricing even more so than we've seen historically.

Beyond that I'm just freaking excited that there's more to read. The series was refreshing and visually striking....to think there's more to come is over the top!

That one you speak of has some color breaking ticks. It's been there because of said defects. Take a quick look by the word "AND" on the front cover and you'll see what I mean. It's not inaccurate to call it NM because that's comprised of NM-/NM/NM+ but there's no way it's a 9.8. That'll make it sit like a rock. Although someone might not mind a 9.6.

:o

:ohnoez: Hope I don't have to sell a kidney to get one...because I will if that is what it takes. Thanks for the news Frank! I was a bit bummed you weren't at the Image Expo. I'm still hoping to meet you in the future and thank you for giving me some of the best reading material EVER!

More info next week, BUT if you thought the ECCC variant was rare...the SDCC "set" I'm prepping is going to be limted to 50.

Will be sold out by the end of preview night I'm sure.

That one you speak of has some color breaking ticks. It's been there because of said defects. Take a quick look by the word "AND" on the front cover and you'll see what I mean. It's not inaccurate to call it NM because that's comprised of NM-/NM/NM+ but there's no way it's a 9.8. That'll make it sit like a rock. Although someone might not mind a 9.6.

Well this non 9.8 copy has been sold now as expected by being talk about here.

Sold for USD179

Told u guys some lurkers will buy it after the discussion here :grin:

I didn't doubt it would be sold, but it hadn't been prior to that 'discussion' primarily because all eyes on it had it pegged for a 9.6 or less. That said, much like real estate "they just aren't making these anymore"....so a 9.6 is better than a 0.0 anyday and twice on Sunday.

Guess someone finally decided to do the deed. BTW: the pricing was better than fair even for a NM+ IMO.

Whoever grabbed it tho, just don't expect a press to fix that visible color break. Still a nice pickup so K+ to whomever.

Guaranteeing a grade of 9.8 on a "high priced" raw on ebay is just asking for trouble.

Let's keep it real here....not only is a guarantee of a 9.8 problematic, the real issue is that some folks feel their comics are "MINT" when in fact they couldn't grade their way out of a paper bag. Mint is not something that keeps your breath smelling fresh FTR. I've seen more ticks on comics online than on a deer's in Lyme Connecticut. It's not inaccurate to call it "NM" because unless someone chewed and digested said comic and it's a modern, it's more than likely gonna score somewhere from 9.0 up....which is the border of VF.

But that's a fairly broad category. Also: most Ebay auctions have crappy pictures or pictures that are taken in such as way as to obscure and hide some defects. I've actually lucked out sometimes and gotten real 9.8s, but this is typically from folks that treat their comics with respect and care.

Best way is always to go hunt it out yourself at the LCS. They think I'm insane when I bust out the white glove technique on the spines....hold them up to the light...and give them the sniff test. I also have to be particular about what LCSs I visit because some of them are worse than their Ebay counterparts.

For instance: Time Warp Comics and Games....they put everything on their torture racks and within a day of that the spines are broken like an osteoporotic hip. Kids come thumbing through the store and wipe their noses with covers, pick their bums and smear it all over like a petri dish....basically treat the comics like hookers at mardi gras.

On the other hand, there's a few places near me that bag and board everything that's going to be on the shelves. Fairly easy to score some pristine looking mags there. Even with the pull lists, I don't necessarily want someone picking stuff for me. I wince whenever I goto the register and some heavy ham handed assmunch clobbers the books whilst ringing them up. It's like Steinbeck's Lennie Small killing puppies unknowingly. After sifting through the racks and picking out the cream of the crop I want to choke a mofo with piano wire if they're handling stuff like that.