• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

#1) I'll have to remember to wear a diaper whenever reading Frank's surprise teaser posts. Now I have to mop the entire floor.

#2) With regard to the SDCC set 'green labels'....I would normally agree about not pulling the trigger....that said.....these were only issued by Frank directly to fans & there were only 50 of them total. Logic would dictate that the signature is in fact bona fide and it's the real deal in spite of any labelling by the CGC.

I do prefer mine blue, but someone purchasing that set for their own collection with no intention of resale should be elated to have those regardless of the designation. It's not like there are 500 or even 100. I've said it before and I'll say it again: 50 is so rare it's practically the golden fleece of comics.

As much as I like this phantom cover and as much as I like Larry [i know some of you don't no need to go there] I hope no more phantoms are done for this title.

No need to keep doing variants with an awesome book like this and I think they will just hurt it at this point. Just my .02 take it or leave it

The Phantoms have helped this title immensely in my shop.

How are they hurting?

( it's not like there are a lot of variants on this particular title)

If there are a bunch of variants on a book , I get the criticism, but if there's only one, whats the problem?

The Phantoms have helped this title immensely in my shop.

How are they hurting?

( it's not like there are a lot of variants on this particular title)

If there are a bunch of variants on a book , I get the criticism, but if there's only one, whats the problem?

Sorry my friend I mean no disrespect and as you know Ive purchased a good amount of phantoms and a bunch of this very title

I just feel that after the first few issues to help get the word out [which we can agree that it did] that there is no need to continue making multiple covers [of any kind]. A special one here and there is cool but after awhile I just see no need. For example say issue 12 and issue 24 to celebrate 1 and 2 years would be cool AND special.

Just my .02 but Im just one of thousands....not the end all expert on the matter.

I think the argument here is that the phantoms hurt the collector/resale value of the standard print cover. This couldn't be more evident with titles like "Nowhere Men"....which has slipped into obscurity for a multiplicity of different reasons including the overkill variant print releases of #1 as well as the erratic and unpredictable publishing schedule.

That said, I LOVE the variants. I guess the key sentiment is "less is more". One variant becomes a treasured addition, especially if it's a 1:25, 1:50 or 1:100. The 1:10s not so much. For the mostpart it also gives us a view of the title from the perspective of other artists. I personally dig that as well...although Chris is king with this title.

So in the end: too many variants spoil the soup. When used as a flavoring agent, they definitely accentuate the title.

Personally, I like the Phantom program as it gives me a chance to approach some artists I'd love to work with and gives me the confidence that retailers are actually going to support the variants. Plus, they are still relatively low print runs that help us but keep the books rare.

Though the book is doing well, we can still use the kick that Phantoms give us. Larry and the crew have been instrumental in helping us keep afloat, and certainly there will come a day or month we don't do a variant, but I find it far superior to retailer incentive variants that don't really help us and I tend to think are kind of exploitive.

While we're talking variants--

We are going to sell an exclusive version of FIVE GHOSTS #6 with this cover at NYCC. Garry Brown is going to ink it, but here are the pencils. Limited to 200, only at our appearances at the Image Comics booth. I'll let you guys know when we'll be there ; ).

tumblr_mu0bin50V51ran91go1_1280.jpg

No dog in this fight, but i would like to see this title be the first to overcome the phantom hobby collectors jinx (Bedlam and Revival failures come to mind), and be a smashing success, as Frank is a really cool fella.

You are the Jinx.

When Bedlam came out, you tried to buy qty at deep wholesale price.

After you were turned down, you embarked on a negative message board crusade.

Bedlam sells gangbusters.

Revival sells gangbusters.

No dog in this fight, but i would like to see this title be the first to overcome the phantom hobby collectors jinx (Bedlam and Revival failures come to mind), and be a smashing success, as Frank is a really cool fella.

You are the Jinx.

When Bedlam came out, you tried to buy qty at deep wholesale price.

After you were turned down, you embarked on a negative message board crusade.

Bedlam sells gangbusters.

Revival sells gangbusters.

incorrect.

While we're talking variants--

We are going to sell an exclusive version of FIVE GHOSTS #6 with this cover at NYCC. Garry Brown is going to ink it, but here are the pencils. Limited to 200, only at our appearances at the Image Comics booth. I'll let you guys know when we'll be there ; ).

tumblr_mu0bin50V51ran91go1_1280.jpg

Hey Frank is it okay to say that you will be signing October 7th at Forbidden Comics with Greg Rucka ( Lazarus ), and Alex Kot ( Zero ), for those that can't make it to the con.