• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

>>One variant becomes a treasured addition<<

Five Ghosts only have one ea.

They're ridiculously rare in relation tho the regular printings.

I agree Larry. Five Ghosts has been an exceptional example of how to do things the right way. I certainly don't mind one variant per issue. I also have enjoyed every Phantom I've seen put out for the series......strangely enough I've been able to scoop up a variant for everything except issue #4. After the first two issues the variants got scarce or non-existent in my neck of the woods. The retailers just weren't ordering or stocking them in spite of having some volume of the regular print.

Personally, I like the Phantom program as it gives me a chance to approach some artists I'd love to work with and gives me the confidence that retailers are actually going to support the variants. Plus, they are still relatively low print runs that help us but keep the books rare.

Though the book is doing well, we can still use the kick that Phantoms give us. Larry and the crew have been instrumental in helping us keep afloat, and certainly there will come a day or month we don't do a variant, but I find it far superior to retailer incentive variants that don't really help us and I tend to think are kind of exploitive.

Well there you have it! If its truly helping than Ill keep buying. You and Larry have made valid points so (thumbs u

I agree Larry. Five Ghosts has been an exceptional example of how to do things the right way. I certainly don't mind one variant per issue. I also have enjoyed every Phantom I've seen put out for the series......strangely enough I've been able to scoop up a variant for everything except issue #4. After the first two issues the variants got scarce or non-existent in my neck of the woods. The retailers just weren't ordering or stocking them in spite of having some volume of the regular print.

EVERY Phantom variant is available at cover price in my shop.( limit 2 per family, walk in only )

It's about building a fan base for the property "AND" foot traffic for the brick & mortar shop.

A true partnership.

I think the argument here is that the phantoms hurt the collector/resale value of the standard print cover. This couldn't be more evident with titles like "Nowhere Men"....which has slipped into obscurity for a multiplicity of different reasons including the overkill variant print releases of #1 as well as the erratic and unpredictable publishing schedule.

That said, I LOVE the variants. I guess the key sentiment is "less is more". One variant becomes a treasured addition, especially if it's a 1:25, 1:50 or 1:100. The 1:10s not so much. For the mostpart it also gives us a view of the title from the perspective of other artists. I personally dig that as well...although Chris is king with this title.

So in the end: too many variants spoil the soup. When used as a flavoring agent, they definitely accentuate the title.

I like the different covers and buying the ones that appeal to me. The rarity is subjective. Most are 25% of the high when you go out ten years.

EVERY Phantom variant is available at cover price in my shop.( limit 2 per family, walk in only )

It's about building a fan base for the property "AND" foot traffic for the brick & mortar shop.

A true partnership.

Larry, I wish you would develop a relationship with my LCS. I love the Phantom variants but $15 shipped is a little high for me on most comics.

A true partnership.

Larry, I wish you would develop a relationship with my LCS. I love the Phantom variants but $15 shipped is a little high for me on most comics.

Again.

And clearly:

The Phantom program is designed for in shop sales.

It is designed to bolster sales for creators "and" drive traffic to the 1,900 remaining direct market shops.

Visit one of the 52+ locations & you will get a rare book at cover price the week it ships.

Online. buyer beware.

A true partnership.

Not all LCS charge cover for these.

LCS here in San Diego (iirc, I don't go there too often) charges 6.99 the 1st day or week then ups the price after.

Lovin the NYCC variant! Can't wait to get my greedy mits on one. Now I just have to figure out if I should buy a raw when they first hit or wait patiently for a graded 9.8 hm

Thanks for the news!

When it comes to the phantoms, I personally don't buy them but I have to admit that #7 cover is tempting.

Lovin the NYCC variant! Can't wait to get my greedy mits on one. Now I just have to figure out if I should buy a raw when they first hit or wait patiently for a graded 9.8 hm

Thanks for the news!

When it comes to the phantoms, I personally don't buy them but I have to admit that #7 cover is tempting.

I'm definitely chasing this down to add to the set of 50. The story rocks and although I'm going to miss Chris for a month, I can't wait to read the self contained ( I think ) #6

Thanks for the news!

I'm definitely chasing this down to add to the set of 50. The story rocks and although I'm going to miss Chris for a month, I can't wait to read the self contained ( I think ) #6

Ya, +1 on this. I needs me a 9.8 candidate to go with my 9.8 SDCC set too. (thumbs u

I think the argument here is that the phantoms hurt the collector/resale value of the standard print cover. This couldn't be more evident with titles like "Nowhere Men"....which has slipped into obscurity for a multiplicity of different reasons including the overkill variant print releases of #1 as well as the erratic and unpredictable publishing schedule.

That said, I LOVE the variants. I guess the key sentiment is "less is more". One variant becomes a treasured addition, especially if it's a 1:25, 1:50 or 1:100. The 1:10s not so much. For the mostpart it also gives us a view of the title from the perspective of other artists. I personally dig that as well...although Chris is king with this title.

So in the end: too many variants spoil the soup. When used as a flavoring agent, they definitely accentuate the title.

Nowwhere Men>>> real bad example, the book sucks that is the true reason resale value tanked, it has nothing to do with phantoms. Nowwhere Men is unreadable.

The Phantoms have helped this title immensely in my shop.

How are they hurting?

( it's not like there are a lot of variants on this particular title)

If there are a bunch of variants on a book , I get the criticism, but if there's only one, whats the problem?

I loved every cover on five ghost phantom, and it's cover price. and my LCS give me a few of them for free. stop giving Larry hard time.

The Phantoms have helped this title immensely in my shop.

How are they hurting?

( it's not like there are a lot of variants on this particular title)

If there are a bunch of variants on a book , I get the criticism, but if there's only one, whats the problem?

I loved every cover on five ghost phantom, and it's cover price. and my LCS give me a few of them for free. stop giving Larry hard time.

lol

Nowwhere Men>>> real bad example, the book sucks that is the true reason resale value tanked, it has nothing to do with phantoms. Nowwhere Men is unreadable.

I think the phrase "for a multiplicity of different reasons" just about covers it all.

No. Nowhere Men is a damn good read. I was enjoying it quite a bit, right up to the part where it stopped coming out. Now I can't even remember what happened in the last issue.

Here's the finished NYCC Exclusive cover:

tumblr_mu1p336oka1ran91go1_1280.jpg

I will ONLY be selling these during my signings at the Image Comics booth. They are limited to 200--the issue itself is the full #6 issue, a few weeks early ; ). Chris did the pencils, Garry did the inks.

I'll also be appearing this upcoming Monday at Forbidden Planet in NYC along with Ales Kot & Greg Rucka. Should be a fun, pre-con signing!

Thanks, guys!