• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

I actually got my Ashcan signed and slabbed SS(1191719001) at SDCC this year came back as a 8.5. I figured it wouldn't be high since it wasn't in great shape but the rarity makes up for it. Not planning on selling it currently.

Nice!

Yeah, I would be real happy with a 8.5 SS. No doubt.

I actually got my Ashcan signed and slabbed SS(1191719001) at SDCC this year came back as a 8.5. I figured it wouldn't be high since it wasn't in great shape but the rarity makes up for it. Not planning on selling it currently.

Hey dude! Ryan Maddux here. Glad that you got those books! Did you ever get those Stan books back from SDCC? Still need me to get that one book pressed?

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Just got those back yesterday all came back 9.8s save for the White Ultimate Spider-Man #1 9.6 :/

I need to get the grader notes to find out why it got down graded from the 9.8 that it was to see if pressing will be worth it.

I don't think this one sale is going to change how much these books are going for.I think there's just a lot of hype going on because frank put this ashcan up for auction. But in reality that doesn't make it a one of a kind technically anyone who has one of these books probably got it from Frank anyway. even stillI would love to see this book break the 1500 dollar mark just because I enjoy this comic so much and I appreciate different and innovative thinking when creating a new story.

Weird. The Census doesn't have your book listed in the tally, unless I'm overlooking it somehow.

Weird. The Census doesn't have your book listed in the tally, unless I'm overlooking it somehow.

Yeah I noticed that as well. The verification page comes up when you search for it though. Not sure why the census is messed up.

Yeah I noticed that as well. The verification page comes up when you search for it though. Not sure why the census is messed up.

The census updates every Monday or Tuesday. If they shipped the day of the last update, it won't be in the census yet.

Hey dude! Ryan Maddux here. Glad that you got those books! Did you ever get those Stan books back from SDCC? Still need me to get that one book pressed?

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Just got those back yesterday all came back 9.8s save for the White Ultimate Spider-Man #1 9.6 :/

I need to get the grader notes to find out why it got down graded from the 9.8 that it was to see if pressing will be worth it.

Sounds good. Offer stands to help if it's worth your while :-)

That ashcan that Frank has up for auction sure is mighty nice! :cloud9:

I'm happy he found a copy for himself since at NYCC he stated he'd kept none, but that his mom has one...

The low print run and the probability that a lot of them at this point are probably beat up or destroyed, makes this one a "gotta have it" for the serious FG collectior, since I doubt many more will pop-up in NM+ condition. I wish I had a chance at it, but with 5+ days to go and already at $725, I'll have no dog in this race!

Hey guys,

Glad to see my find exciting some interest! It's definitely a cool piece of Five Ghosts history and very few people seem to have them.

I wanted to add that this particular ashcan is even rarer than I thought--I had lost track a bit of when I had made ashcans, but this one is ACTUALLY from C2E2 '12…predating the SDCC '12 ashcan. I had made ashcans for both, the C2E2 one is particularly unique as it only has the first 6 pages plus penciled pages--the SDCC one has inked pages as well, and an expanded page count that includes characters sketches and most importantly (for identification purposes!) A LETTERS PAGE that is dated 7/2012.

It's a bit late to amend the ebay auction as I don't want to confuse anyone, BUT--this is the rarer of the two by far. Why are these so rare? They are rare because a) I was using them to pitch publishers--I gave away a fair amount to various publishers and industry friends. b) most people who took them from me were TOTAL STRANGERS WHO COULD'VE CARED LESS. Most of these probably ended up on the floor of the con!

I've attached screenshots from email records to show the exactness of these ashcans as I figure it's time to have a hard document of exactly what is what/how many of each there are! So here it is: THE MASTER LIST:

1. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - C2E2 - 16 Pages - 35 COPIES

2. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - SDCC - 28 Pages - 30 COPIES

3. FIve Ghosts #1 - NYCC '12 Self-Published Edition - 40 Pages - 60 COPIES

4. Five Ghosts #1 - ECCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 40 Pages - 200 COPIES

5. Five Ghosts #1-5 - SDCC '13 Edition/Variant Covers (SET) - 50 COPIES

6. Five Ghosts #6 - NYCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 200 COPIES

And now photos for my orders of the original Ashcans…

Original C2E2 Ashcan order:

lpkv.png

SDCC Ashcan Order:

57bs.png

So consider this the OFFICIAL word on Five Ghosts rarities…and happy bidding!

Hey guys,

Glad to see my find exciting some interest! It's definitely a cool piece of Five Ghosts history and very few people seem to have them.

I wanted to add that this particular ashcan is even rarer than I thought--I had lost track a bit of when I had made ashcans, but this one is ACTUALLY from C2E2 '12…predating the SDCC '12 ashcan. I had made ashcans for both, the C2E2 one is particularly unique as it only has the first 6 pages plus penciled pages--the SDCC one has inked pages as well, and an expanded page count that includes characters sketches and most importantly (for identification purposes!) A LETTERS PAGE that is dated 7/2012.

It's a bit late to amend the ebay auction as I don't want to confuse anyone, BUT--this is the rarer of the two by far. Why are these so rare? They are rare because a) I was using them to pitch publishers--I gave away a fair amount to various publishers and industry friends. b) most people who took them from me were TOTAL STRANGERS WHO COULD'VE CARED LESS. Most of these probably ended up on the floor of the con!

I've attached screenshots from email records to show the exactness of these ashcans as I figure it's time to have a hard document of exactly what is what/how many of each there are! So here it is: THE MASTER LIST:

1. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - C2E2 - 16 Pages - 35 COPIES

2. Five Ghosts Promotional Ashcan - SDCC - 28 Pages - 30 COPIES

3. FIve Ghosts #1 - NYCC '12 Self-Published Edition - 40 Pages - 60 COPIES

4. Five Ghosts #1 - ECCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 40 Pages - 200 COPIES

5. Five Ghosts #1-5 - SDCC '13 Edition/Variant Covers (SET) - 50 COPIES

6. Five Ghosts #6 - NYCC '13 Edition/Variant Cover - 200 COPIES

And now photos for my orders of the original Ashcans…

Original C2E2 Ashcan order:

lpkv.png

SDCC Ashcan Order:

57bs.png

So consider this the OFFICIAL word on Five Ghosts rarities…and happy bidding!

Well this is going to get interesting...looks like i am going to have to start turning "tricks" at the local Senior Center to afford this one. Is a 75 year old still considered a Cougar.

Thanks for the info Frank! (thumbs u

Ok, so it looks like a complete set is gonna be tough to accomplish! I will have to get the two ashcans (C2E2 and SDCC) and the self-published #1!!

This is gonna be insane... :ohnoez:

Oh my. lol

This is the highest priced single ungraded issue modern sold recently on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-100-Hero-Initiative-ORIGINAL-ART-Variant-Comic-ARTHUR-SUYDAM-/231046183734?hash=item35cb6cfb36

I'm betting the ashcan wins.

I think I have to agree with you that the FG ashcan will surpass the recorded sale price of that Suydam book.

Thanks for the info Frank! (thumbs u

Ok, so it looks like a complete set is gonna be tough to accomplish! I will have to get the two ashcans (C2E2 and SDCC) and the self-published #1!!

This is gonna be insane... :ohnoez:

Very true! This is going to be one tough set to get. The only person who I believe has a shot is Access since he already has 2 of the 3. Plus, with that new info, I find it unlikely that one will just pop up on eBay in the near or distant future.

Get cozy gents, this is going to be one helleva an auction! :popcorn: