• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pound for Pound, best series for Golden-Age covers

51 posts in this topic

Assuming that we're talking golden age to mean anything pre-code, and not specifically WWII era books:  Crime Suspenstories.  It's one of the EC titles I'm mostly just chasing in reprints, partly because I don't enjoy the stories as much as some of their other titles, but in large part because there are just so many covers that are miles out of my range.

Composite image created from GCD images, the only issue I have of these is 23:

css.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Assuming that we're talking golden age to mean anything pre-code, and not specifically WWII era books:  Crime Suspenstories.  It's one of the EC titles I'm mostly just chasing in reprints, partly because I don't enjoy the stories as much as some of their other titles, but in large part because there are just so many covers that are miles out of my range.

Composite image created from GCD images, the only issue I have of these is 23:

Yeah I am not an EC collector although I bought all of the Cochran slipcases when they came out and devoured them.  As far as overall quality, it is hard to dismiss or overlook EC books as a whole.

It's nearly impossible to narrow it down to just one title, but Detective in certainly one that should be seriously considered! From the magnificent per hero covers by Flessel, O' Mealia and Guardineer to the iconic early Batman covers of 29, 31 & 35, to the introduction of the first sidekick in comics, to all of the artists who followed with great Batman covers, there's a LARGE body of great work there!!! Below, in order, are covers by Flessel, Guardineer, Kane and a Kane/Robinson cover collaboration. I don't own those iconic issues and I don't post books from other sites that I don't own, but we all know those images. 

Detective 17 front.jpg

Detective 32.jpg

Detective 41.jpg

detective 53 5.0 w no label.jpg