• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I may have unitentionally offended Neal Adams

49 posts in this topic

Just got back from the London Super Comic Con. Meeting Neal Adams, arguably my favourite comic book artist, was my main priority at this show. I bought one of the prints he was offering (the GL 76 cover in a postage stamp border) and also had a Bats 251 for him to sign as well. Everything went fine. Until I offered to shake his hand. Now, my right hand had a band aid on it that was coming loose as I was standing there and I didn't want a used band aid catching Neal's hand. So I offered him my left hand instead.

He gave me one of those "Er, what?" looks. "You want to shake with your left hand?" I thought if I told him the real reason, he'd dismiss it as silly so I said I was left handed. "Oh, come on! You can use your right hand." Reluctantly, I offered him my right hand. "There you go. See!" was the reply. He then told me that two lefts make a right or something but I felt embarrassed at this point and kinda mumbled my apologies and went on my way. I also did this to George Perez a bit earlier for the same reason but he wasn't bothered by it or at least made out that it wasn't. Maybe he was just being polite.

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too much about this but it is bugging me a bit so I thought I'd get it off my chest. I certainly won't be offering my left hand when greeting someone for a while!

while I was not there to see it, as you describe it it sounds playful and certainly not in anyway negative. If anything you made a memorable impression and he will likely remember you the next time you see him.

Just got back from the London Super Comic Con. Meeting Neal Adams, arguably my favourite comic book artist, was my main priority at this show. I bought one of the prints he was offering (the GL 76 cover in a postage stamp border) and also had a Bats 251 for him to sign as well. Everything went fine. Until I offered to shake his hand. Now, my right hand had a band aid on it that was coming loose as I was standing there and I didn't want a used band aid catching Neal's hand. So I offered him my left hand instead.

He gave me one of those "Er, what?" looks. "You want to shake with your left hand?" I thought if I told him the real reason, he'd dismiss it as silly so I said I was left handed. "Oh, come on! You can use your right hand." Reluctantly, I offered him my right hand. "There you go. See!" was the reply. He then told me that two lefts make a right or something but I felt embarrassed at this point and kinda mumbled my apologies and went on my way. I also did this to George Perez a bit earlier for the same reason but he wasn't bothered by it or at least made out that it wasn't. Maybe he was just being polite.

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too much about this but it is bugging me a bit so I thought I'd get it off my chest. I certainly won't be offering my left hand when greeting someone for a while!

My suggestion is to send Neal a PM. He is a member here, you know.

To Some shaking with left hand is considered disrespectful

In many countries around the world, the left hand is considered the "dirty" or "evil" hand which is why it's disrespectful.

I have only waited on line to meet two artists.

1 - Carrol Spinney (Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch to the rest of you) He is also an artist and I commissioned a piece from him at NYCC one year. Nicest guy I have ever met. I think I mentioned this before. I was given the opportunity to wait to meet Stan Lee or Spinney. Spinney it was. I thanked him for my childhood. lol

2 - Neal Adams - He is a personality, but he is a comic rock superstar. I approached him at the end of a show and he took the time to have a conversation. I liked his perspective to go and do something meaningful in life. If Neal is by any chance reading this, no, I did not sell the book that ya signed and I had slabbed as it makes me remember the conversation we had.

I just think you shouldn’t have been worried to shake his hand. Maybe you could have just told: «I’m sorry I have a wound», or something like that.

He probably just did not understand your embarassment, and you should not worry at all. I’m sure he took your embarassment as a sign of your admiration for him and his work. ;)