• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I may have unitentionally offended Neal Adams

49 posts in this topic

On a funny note, our main Disney title, "Topolino" (published since 1949, up to date) has an issue in the 1960s which came with a cardboard insert with a colorful Band-Aid (for kids) grafted on it.

"Serious" collectors are after such things, and books with the inserts (much like – say – an ASM #252 with Tattooz) are bound to be sold for a lot more than those without.

lol

My suggestion is to send Neal a PM. He is a member here, you know.

With 36 posts in a two-week period all in one thread over seven years ago, I somehow doubt he is clicking on the boards to see if he has any new PMs. ;)

You're probably right, but he could have it set up to receive an email when he gets a PM here. (shrug)

Worth a try, right? :wink:

Plus, it'll clear this guy's conscience. :)

Just got back from the London Super Comic Con. Meeting Neal Adams, arguably my favourite comic book artist, was my main priority at this show. I bought one of the prints he was offering (the GL 76 cover in a postage stamp border) and also had a Bats 251 for him to sign as well. Everything went fine. Until I offered to shake his hand. Now, my right hand had a band aid on it that was coming loose as I was standing there and I didn't want a used band aid catching Neal's hand. So I offered him my left hand instead.

He gave me one of those "Er, what?" looks. "You want to shake with your left hand?" I thought if I told him the real reason, he'd dismiss it as silly so I said I was left handed. "Oh, come on! You can use your right hand." Reluctantly, I offered him my right hand. "There you go. See!" was the reply. He then told me that two lefts make a right or something but I felt embarrassed at this point and kinda mumbled my apologies and went on my way. I also did this to George Perez a bit earlier for the same reason but he wasn't bothered by it or at least made out that it wasn't. Maybe he was just being polite.

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too much about this but it is bugging me a bit so I thought I'd get it off my chest. I certainly won't be offering my left hand when greeting someone for a while!

I would have just said that there was a bandaid on my right hand. That would have nipped it in the bud.

(shrug)

Just got back from the London Super Comic Con. Meeting Neal Adams, arguably my favourite comic book artist, was my main priority at this show. I bought one of the prints he was offering (the GL 76 cover in a postage stamp border) and also had a Bats 251 for him to sign as well. Everything went fine. Until I offered to shake his hand. Now, my right hand had a band aid on it that was coming loose as I was standing there and I didn't want a used band aid catching Neal's hand. So I offered him my left hand instead.

He gave me one of those "Er, what?" looks. "You want to shake with your left hand?" I thought if I told him the real reason, he'd dismiss it as silly so I said I was left handed. "Oh, come on! You can use your right hand." Reluctantly, I offered him my right hand. "There you go. See!" was the reply. He then told me that two lefts make a right or something but I felt embarrassed at this point and kinda mumbled my apologies and went on my way. I also did this to George Perez a bit earlier for the same reason but he wasn't bothered by it or at least made out that it wasn't. Maybe he was just being polite.

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too much about this but it is bugging me a bit so I thought I'd get it off my chest. I certainly won't be offering my left hand when greeting someone for a while!

you should have told him you follow the Left Hand Path! :devil:

I would have just said that there was a bandaid on my right hand. That would have nipped it in the bud.

(shrug)

Yep! Also, I am sure Neal has long forgotten about this. No need to let it bother you.

As it happens, when I met Neal Adams, he had a handshake moment not too different from this with the people in line in front of me. It was a kid about 9 years old and his dad. The kid was shy about the hand shaking, but Neal set him straight, saying he needed to be firm with his handshake. He then demonstrated for the kid a couple times, making the kid practice until the kid was able to give him a firm, manly hand shake to Neal's liking.

Old school guys just are particular about their hand shakes, but I doubt he was offended and I wouldn't worry about it one bit. He was almost certainly just messing around.

No seriously, I had dinner with the Neal and his family.

They are great folks. He's a little eccentric, but a free spirit enough that

I would assume it would take a lot for him to be offended.

Now if you said something like "without Denny O'neil you wouldn't be where you are today"

then you would have a self made battle on your hands.

;)

To Some shaking with left hand is considered disrespectful

In many countries around the world, the left hand is considered the "dirty" or "evil" hand which is why it's disrespectful.

Yes, it's the hand they use to wipe their posterior.

DG

Eew.