• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your worst comicbook accident / mistake?

95 posts in this topic

Who was it here that had the tape pull on their Showcase 4 when putting it back in the bag? That tought me to always remove the tape and stick it on the side or bottom of the bag while I look at it.

Me too! (thumbs u

This is not my personal story, but one I heard when I interned at Marvel in the '90s -- another intern or staffer or someone for some reason had to deliver original art from one artist to another (maybe from penciller to inker, or something). You know, a messenger sorta assignment...

...in a rush, they put the stack of original pages on the roof of their car, got in, and drove off. Yep, those pages flew off into the wind.

I believe the story was true, and not urban legend within fanboy or comic industry circles.

VF / NM

Interned at Marvel? Please tell more about the Marvel we never see.

At a Con, I asked if I could take a book out of the bag to inspect it. The dealer told me "sure".

I got a tape pull on it and had to buy it. It was an X-Men #66.

I still have it, and cringe every time I look at it. I learned a valuable lesson. The dealer now takes it out of the bag. I do not.

I also purchased an AF #15 from Queen City Comics, and it turned out to be trimmed.

But I still sold it for a handsome profit, so no worries. I sold it in a slab, that designated it as trimmed. Nothing hidden.

Mistakes.

Sold my copy of Action Comics #1.

Sold the Allentown copy of Detective Comics #29

Sold 30 Action Comics from the Mile High collection.

Sold the Mile High Copy of Adventure Comics #79.

Sold the....

You get the idea.

:sorry:

I sliced the side of the cover to my Superman 7 with a mylar. It still got a 6.0, so I figure it was probably an 8.0 before that.

Rarely used mylars after that;)

I also pulled off the cover of my AF15 while reading it...

:eek:

I sliced the side of the cover to my Superman 7 with a mylar. It still got a 6.0, so I figure it was probably an 8.0 before that.

:o

When I first started collecting in the late 90s, I started to buy random Silver Age books. Some of them were miswrapped. I thought this was a defect, and being the kid I was, I took out the staples and tried to restaple the books.

Luckily none of the books were worth much, so lesson learned.

I collect comic related statues and I've had alot more tragedies with those.

Mistakes.

Sold the....

You get the idea.

Good God! I can only wish I had the chance to make mistakes like that!

mylars are really sharp, very common. Also double boarding mylars are dangerous especially if u get them delivered this way..

Mistakes.

Sold the....

You get the idea.

This makes me feel sick just thinking about it. To own even one of the books you listed would be a dream for me. To sell them too early would be a nightmare.