• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Avengers Line up

104 posts in this topic

What would warrant cancelling a good series like Thor? Are they going to kill him off and try something similar to the "Death of Superman" junk?

I think the problem with both the Thor & Iron Man titles is that neither sells very well. I could be mistaken, but I think both were below 30,000 a month before the new hot storyline came out. At that print run, Marvel really isn't taking much of a chance with cancelling the book & making Thor the flagship character in the Avengers. I don't know if that is the plan, but dropping the Thor title isn't going to lose them much cash.

well at least iron man is going to get a decent writer again. and any artist is better than the current one.

Adi Granov, the artist along with Ellis on IM, is insanely good so he's got that "better than the current one" taken care of...

well at least iron man is going to get a decent writer again. and any artist is better than the current one.

Adi Granov, the artist along with Ellis on IM, is insanely good so he's got that "better than the current one" taken care of...

yay! cloud9.gif

so maybe 2005 won't be such a bad year after all...

"Quesada said that people will not believe what they are doing with Thor. There will not be an issue 86 of Thor, nothing more was said on the subject."

O.o why Thor? frown.gif

I'll wait and see what comes of this but this Quesada jerk says it with such arrogance if comes off as "yah its really stupid, the fans will hate it, but its shocking isn't it?" Can't wait. foreheadslap.gif Wolvie and Spiderman as Avengers is a pure sign of deperation. I can live with Wolvie on the Avengers but Spider-Man just doesn't fit the team concept and it looks to me like they are willing to do anything to capture additional readership.

What would warrant cancelling a good series like Thor? Are they going to kill him off and try something similar to the "Death of Superman" junk?

At least you now got your 80. thumbsup2.gif

acclaim.gif

I think the problem with both the Thor & Iron Man titles is that neither sells very well. I could be mistaken, but I think both were below 30,000 a month before the new hot storyline came out. At that print run, Marvel really isn't taking much of a chance with cancelling the book & making Thor the flagship character in the Avengers. I don't know if that is the plan, but dropping the Thor title isn't going to lose them much cash.

I guess that's the key, good writing. The art has been good but they also need to generate more interest by actualy drawing in the odd villain on a cover just so we have an idea what the heck the storyline is about. Tie to get back to the basics. By the way what did the Superman issues and Action Comics feature when Superman was killed and what issues did he pass away in? I want to buy those.

Going to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt for now. I just can't see the guys at Marvel, Bendis Millar Joe Q, sitting down and thinking that Wolverine is a good idea in the Avengers. Bendis is well aware how horrible the 90s were and hasn't shown one iota of tendency to fall back towards that.

So until the book comes out, and Jarvis is bringing Wolverine a cup of tea, I ain't believin it.

Spider-Man I can believe. He's been there before. A reserve Avenger ya? He's a good guy kind of good guy so he fits better than Wolverine. But I still can't imagine those guys keeping Spidey in the team long term.

Going to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt for now. I just can't see the guys at Marvel, Bendis Millar Joe Q, sitting down and thinking that Wolverine is a good idea in the Avengers. Bendis is well aware how horrible the 90s were and hasn't shown one iota of tendency to fall back towards that.

So until the book comes out, and Jarvis is bringing Wolverine a cup of tea, I ain't believin it.

Spider-Man I can believe. He's been there before. A reserve Avenger ya? He's a good guy kind of good guy so he fits better than Wolverine. But I still can't imagine those guys keeping Spidey in the team long term.

Bendis? USM? 90's re-hash? Hello?

Bendis is out to make a buck. He's arrogant enough to think that he can pull off something a gimmick like this, so he's certainly going to be willing to try.

Bendis is out to make a buck. He's arrogant enough to think that he can pull off something a gimmick like this, so he's certainly going to be willing to try.

I agree. Bendis seems to be indifferent to the desire of the fans. Need proof? Just look at USM. I like the comic but I quit picking up the monthly because I got really tired of 5 issue arcs boiling down to a 4 issue lead-in to a 3 page fight in the final part of the story. Don't get me wrong. The trades are a good read and I will continue to buy them but USM in a monthly format is a snoooozzzzzeeee.

Er, are you saying USM is a 90s rehash? Not sure I followed ya there. Cause it couldn't possibly be further from the [!@#%^&^] Marvel cranked out in the 90s. 90s bad. USM good.

Nope... just different flavors of the same [!@#%^&^]...

Er, are you saying USM is a 90s rehash? Not sure I followed ya there. Cause it couldn't possibly be further from the [!@#%^&^] Marvel cranked out in the 90s. 90s bad. USM good.

K, well, if you think USM is [!@#%^&^], then we'll just have to agree that you're wrong.

I agree. Bendis seems to be indifferent to the desire of the fans. Need proof? Just look at USM. I like the comic but I quit picking up the monthly because I got really tired of 5 issue arcs boiling down to a 4 issue lead-in to a 3 page fight in the final part of the story. Don't get me wrong. The trades are a good read and I will continue to buy them but USM in a monthly format is a snoooozzzzzeeee.

Soooo, you like the comic, you will continue to buy it, as will everyone else that puts it in the Top 10 in sales every month, but somehow you think he's indifferent to the desire of the fans.

I see. foreheadslap.gif

Soooo, you like the comic, you will continue to buy it, as will everyone else that puts it in the Top 10 in sales every month, but somehow you think he's indifferent to the desire of the fans.

I see. foreheadslap.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif Yes. That is right. I think reading USM 32 pages at a time on a monthly basis is a waste of time and money. USM reads better in a tpb format. You will never convince me Marvel/Bendis are not milking the hell out of USM by stretching the story. You think it is foolish for me to say I do not buy the monthly but I do buy the trade. I think it is a colossal waste of funds for anyone to buy the monthly.

I think I'll just steal a page from your book: we'll just have to agree that you're wrong.

K, well, if you think USM is [!@#%^&^], then we'll just have to agree that you're wrong.

No... just that I'm special insane.gif

Bendis seems to be indifferent to the desire of the fans

893naughty-thumb.gif Yes. That is right. I think reading USM 32 pages at a time on a monthly basis is a waste of time and money. USM reads better in a tpb format. You will never convince me Marvel/Bendis are not milking the hell out of USM by stretching the story. You think it is foolish for me to say I do not buy the monthly but I do buy the trade. I think it is a colossal waste of funds for anyone to buy the monthly.

I think I'll just steal a page from your book: we'll just have to agree that you're wrong.

So the top-of-the-industry sales of the book is ACTUALLY an outpour of fan desire for Bendis to change the way he writes comics?

Bendis has written USM the exact same way since issue #1, when USM was NOT a huge hit and couldn't possibly have been "milking" the book.

Sales numbers are not indicative of a good comic. Search USM on these forums. You will find numerous posts where fans have complained about the lack of any significant "weight" to a USM comic. You can read it in 2 to 3 minutes. Take USM and compare it to Daredevil. Daredevil, penned by Bendis, receives raves on this forum ( you can search for that too ) because, unlike USM, Daredevil has word count over 100. There is an actual honest to god story every single month. You want to buy comics and priase them based on sales figures go ahead. I have come to respect the opinions of the fans on this board. I know who on these forums actually reads their comics and I will take their criticism or praise over sales figures all day long. Just for the record. I quit reading USM on a monthly basis because, and I am syaing this for the second time, it is a waste of money.

From the complaints I have read n this forum over the Hollywood storyline, I might want to browse through that trade before I end up wasting even more of money.

Sales numbers are not indicative of a good comic. Search USM on these forums. You will find numerous posts where fans have complained about the lack of any significant "weight" to a USM comic. You can read it in 2 to 3 minutes. Take USM and compare it to Daredevil. Daredevil, penned by Bendis, receives raves on this forum ( you can search for that too ) because, unlike USM, Daredevil has word count over 100. There is an actual honest to god story every single month. You want to buy comics and priase them based on sales figures go ahead. I have come to respect the opinions of the fans on this board. I know who on these forums actually reads their comics and I will take their criticism or praise over sales figures all day long. Just for the record. I quit reading USM on a monthly basis because, and I am syaing this for the second time, it is a waste of money.

From the complaints I have read n this forum over the Hollywood storyline, I might want to browse through that trade before I end up wasting even more of money.

In this marketplace, 4 years of consistent Top 10 sales numbers on a brand new book is HUGELY indicative of quality content. [!@#%^&^] books lose readers and go away, or, they go the Marvel way and get reloaded/revamped.

Yes, Hollywood was bad, but not because of lack of plot, because of bad plot. It was a silly idea. Between you and me, shhhh, I'll allow Bendis a bad story every 10 storylines.

You compare the word count in DD to USM. I'll compare the intended audience. DD = Marvel Knights. USM is intended as a book adults would enjoy, which you do, but also one Bendis would give to his kid. Its supposed to be lightweight. DD isn't praised on the Bendis board because it has lots of words. Its praised because its damned good. You'll also notice that, as expected, the Bendis board damn well loves USM as well.

Bendis, unforutnately, has become VASTLY overrated. His USM started off as a great ride, but is now become tiresome and repetitive. I've always believed his Daredevil arcs were simply so-so. His current Avengers story line is decent, but I can see based on the Previews that it's going to be taken in a direction that's going to be simply rediculous (Spider Man and Wolverine... puh-leeze). Secret War is one of the most over hyped and under whelming books to come out in years.

Bendis writes all his stories in arcs -- drags out the story telling -- and really has become the master of telling 1 issue stories in 6.

The defense above of Bendis indicates that he does have a big fan base... unfortunately, I see that dwindling. What was once relatively popular support for his books is really starting to see a backlash.

I don't think Bendis is here to stay -- when Quesada is eventually removed as EIC (and that's going to happen eventually) we'll see if Bendis remains as popular. I think Bendis would be better off focussing on one or two books a month -- making him the go to writer for Marvel is going to turn out to be a huge mistake.