• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling items from one hobby to support another

39 posts in this topic

So what's the purchase you're funding? :popcorn:

I sold one of my favorite comics to fund a paint job for this thing

cadfront.jpg

Always a worthy reason.

Currently restoring the engine compartment -- mechanics and appearance.

DSC00131_zps260c9407.jpg

DSC00443_zps6735bec9.jpg

DSC00447_zps6e00096e.jpg

U go boy, that's a beaut!

Over the past year I have liquidated thousands of my comics and I have my collection down to about 8000 books. I just sold another 500 this weekend. Mainly for bills during layoffs. The books I sold were either no longer collected, bad investment choices and worthless books. While I still have a ton of worthless books market value wise. All my books now represent more of what I like.

This leads me to a question, when you guys and I know there are a few on the board have sold books they have liked for other items what criteria did you use? I'm looking to raise about 20k for a purchase, non-comic, and it is difficult to figure out what to sell to raise the capital. Example if I sell off all of my OA I can raise almost half right there yet it cannot be replaced. If I sell my FF 1-100 I could come up with quite a bit as well. Doing This would save the majority of my collection, but replacing them would be difficult cost wise

Trying to figure out if no guts no glory is the way to go or wipe out most of the collection and save the few.

Not really an advice thread as I know I am going to sell part of my collection, but rather how did you do it.

Brian, rather than sell all of your OA or your FF run consider selling the lower grade FFs with the plan to upgrade down the road. and some of the OA that you can live without. The FFs would certainly be easy to replace/upgrade later.

You should avoid selling anything that is dear to you and difficult to replace even if it's worth a good chunk of change.

I live by the last sentence when it comes to what I sell/ don't sell. Sentimental value and something that is dear to you for whatever reason can never be replaced.

cadfront.jpg

Always a worthy reason.

DSC00131_zps260c9407.jpg

DSC00443_zps6735bec9.jpg

DSC00447_zps6e00096e.jpg

That is a beautiful car!!

I've always loved classic cars. My first car I ever bought was actually a 1953 Chevy Pickup that I fixed up. Sold it for a down payment on my first house. Soon after I bought my 1969 mustang and had it for 12 years before selling it. Use to go to the various car shows here in the Valley like Good Guys. Stopped going after I sold my Mustang as it was kind of depressing. I have been wanting another car for a couple years now but timing has been off and family needs have always come first. Selling the comics would give me the chance to get a great car and prices right now are still somewhat depressed on these classics with the economy.

Keep the comics forget the car, it's only a Mustang. It's not like it was a 69 Pontiac Firebird! :baiting:

Almost bought one a couple years ago. Drove down to Tucson to look at it. Wasn't as nice as described.

As I'm selling off my SA books, I'm replacing them with Omn'is and Archives. I like the fact I can now read the books, and the entire SA pretty much fits in one bookcase. I realize that won't work for everyone but I'm doing just fine with it.

Not really an advice thread as I know I am going to sell part of my collection, but rather how did you do it.

I plan to sell off a good portion of my D&D collection and use the cash for comics. I'll probably do it on ebay.

I plan to sell off a good portion of my D&D collection and use the cash for comics. I'll probably do it on ebay.

If you have 70s and 80s stuff it should fly off the shelves on EBay.

I sold $3000 worth about ten years ago to free up space.

Kind of regretted it after I bought a house though.

Get in touch with me and let me know when you do. I would be interested in seeing what you have.

Pretty different hobby than comics, but I sold a collection of a few thousand "First Flight" airmail covers from the 1920's and 1930's on Craigslist a couple of years ago that I'd spent much of my adulthood putting together. I got a good price, and the money funded a slight auction addiction for comics. Of course, these days I end up spending a lot of time browsing Ebay and Dutch Country Auctions catalogs to try to rebuild that collection, so I can't really say that I'd personally advise it.

If that's the paint job,you should get your money back. lol

I hope not :blush:

It's supposed to be HOK Kandy Cobalt with multicolor patterns and flakes, hopefully it will turn out something like this

That is intense.

That is so ghetto pimp.

Over the past year I have liquidated thousands of my comics and I have my collection down to about 8000 books. I just sold another 500 this weekend. Mainly for bills during layoffs. The books I sold were either no longer collected, bad investment choices and worthless books. While I still have a ton of worthless books market value wise. All my books now represent more of what I like.

This leads me to a question, when you guys and I know there are a few on the board have sold books they have liked for other items what criteria did you use? I'm looking to raise about 20k for a purchase, non-comic, and it is difficult to figure out what to sell to raise the capital. Example if I sell off all of my OA I can raise almost half right there yet it cannot be replaced. If I sell my FF 1-100 I could come up with quite a bit as well. Doing This would save the majority of my collection, but replacing them would be difficult cost wise

Trying to figure out if no guts no glory is the way to go or wipe out most of the collection and save the few.

I think you will regret selling the comic books in the long run. I cannot imagine why you would even consider parting with FF 1-100.

I had a 1969 Mustang I sold a few years back when the economy hit. I miss having my classic Mustang. Currently looking at a 1968 Mustang California Special there were just over 4000 made.

Definitely don't sell the comics!

cadfront.jpg

Always a worthy reason.

DSC00131_zps260c9407.jpg

DSC00443_zps6735bec9.jpg

DSC00447_zps6e00096e.jpg

That is a beautiful car!!

I've always loved classic cars. My first car I ever bought was actually a 1953 Chevy Pickup that I fixed up. Sold it for a down payment on my first house. Soon after I bought my 1969 mustang and had it for 12 years before selling it. Use to go to the various car shows here in the Valley like Good Guys. Stopped going after I sold my Mustang as it was kind of depressing. I have been wanting another car for a couple years now but timing has been off and family needs have always come first. Selling the comics would give me the chance to get a great car and prices right now are still somewhat depressed on these classics with the economy.

....... get the Mustang. Keep FF # 1- 67 and the SA Westerns, and the favorites of the OA (even if that's ALL of it).......plus 50 other books that You spend a full day selecting.....if it doesn't take a full day to decide, sell them also. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If you were after a Mopar, I’d endorse the sale wholeheartedly.

I wouldn’t sell anything that might be a pain to replace and think you’d want to keep at least the FF 1-12 and the Westerns (as much as I’d love to see them in the sales Forum). I imagine you were pretty particular with the eye appeal of the FFs. Oh and I'd keep any OA you like, too.