• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just dropped my comic shop because they ticked me off!

112 posts in this topic

Ok so I am a regular customer who goes there and buys every week. I get there as they open their doors at 11AM, about ten of us are there. All the new comics are out for sale except Batman Inc #8. I asked him why aren't there any issues of that, he said sold out!!! *&^%* bull(*&^^ I will NEVER go there again!!

The LCS gets to decide how to operate his business.

Looks like he's more interested in making max $ off a new release book that's hot vs selling a book at list price to his customers.

I don't agree.

I remember when PS3 came out. I believe it was $699.99 here in Canada at Future Shop and Best Buy on day 1.

There was a huge lineup and they were selling like hotcakes. I remember looking on ebay that very day, and they were going for upwards of $1,000.00 because clearly a lot of places were sold out.

Should the local Best Buy/Future shop have changed their signs at noon to reflect $999? No, they kept their prices, sold em out, and I don't know what happened after that price wise but my point is, they COULD have gauged their clientele.... The market was $1,000 in some places because they were sold out, but they left theirs at $699 day of release.

How would people have felt if they walked into Future Shop, expecting to pau $699 for PS3 but seeing the price at $1,000 on day 1? Whats different about a comic book shop?

I don't like the feeling of getting gauged. Like I said, if the store chose to sell Batman Inc at $20 the very next day, that's one thing. To pull whatever is on the shelf the minute after opening in order to up the price is a slimy way to run a business.

For the record, my local shop sold em at cover until they were sold out. I applaud them.

I don't agree.

I remember when PS3 came out. I believe it was $699.99 here in Canada at Future Shop and Best Buy on day 1.

There was a huge lineup and they were selling like hotcakes. I remember looking on ebay that very day, and they were going for upwards of $1,000.00 because clearly a lot of places were sold out.

Should the local Best Buy/Future shop have changed their signs at noon to reflect $999? No, they kept their prices, sold em out, and I don't know what happened after that price wise but my point is, they COULD have gauged their clientele....

Actually, no they could not have, they have contracts in place with manufacturers to sell items at a certain price. Many have limits (high and low) that retailers can sell items for if they want to continue to do business with that manufacturer.

As well, those retailers advertised those items at a certain price, for a certain period of time. Their choice was to limit how much they sold until that advertisement had expired or not, raising the price is not an option for most of those retailers given the contractual obligations they enter into with manufacturers and the public by advertising a price.

Actually, no they could not have, they have contracts in place with manufacturers to sell items at a certain price. Many have limits (high and low) that retailers can sell items for if they want to continue to do business with that manufacturer.

Yep, I was going to mention this also. These contracts are the reason why many retailers will have a price in place but then offer a hefty mail-in rebate or store credit.

Yep, I was going to mention this also. These contracts are the reason why many retailers will have a price in place but then offer a hefty mail-in rebate or store credit.

And why it's almost impossible to find a great deal (better than other retailers) on anything BOSE.

I don't know why everyone always has this elitist mentality when it comes to putting down a poster, but I actually sort of agree with the original poster. He went in right at store open and they held it back. They were (probably) selling it for $2.99 to those who had it on their pull list but were upping the charge for the others. On one hand, I get it. But on the other hand, it's gauging. It's a slimy move. Hell, I'd be okay with even a day later but not the very instant the store opens and the book is supposed to be on the shelf.

Funny, but everyone here gives the OP a hard time but I know for sure the majority of you would be, at the very least, a little ticked off also.

The OP didn't give us all the information. He immediately jumped to they are scumbags. When you make accusations like that and don't back it up with info, expect to get called to task for it.

Also, you are assuming that they were charging others more money based on what exactly? I like to actually have some info before I make a decision. Based on the OP's OMGWTFBBQ reaction, I can't put much credence into him remembering anything correctly.

I agree with most of what you're saying sure, and yes, some people come across as douchebags in their rants but I get the jist of it.

Also, in regards to what I bolded, why on earth would they have pulled them? To bag and board them for everyone and immediately put them back up for at cover price?

They pulled them to up their price. Clearly. D'uh!

Edit: Curious. Who's jumping in your sig? An NBA player or some random?

Unless I missed it somewhere, there isn't any evidence they did that. They could have under-ordered and only had enough books for their pull list. Most of their pull list according to OMGWTFBBQ. It is hard for me to trust the word of the guy that went straight to scumbag with zero info and then questions the ethics of those that question him.

There's no anger like that of a flipper scorned.

we sold all of ours for cover price lol...and when we get our 100 other copies they will also be cover price... but then again we dont let one person get 10+ copies ether

Ixnay on the ulbay, I'll be by on Washinton with a few Benjamins later. :baiting:

As well, those retailers advertised those items at a certain price, for a certain period of time. Their choice was to limit how much they sold until that advertisement had expired or not, raising the price is not an option for most of those retailers given the contractual obligations they enter into with manufacturers and the public by advertising a price.

Sounds like a good model for Publishers/Distributors and comic shops. Might increase overall sales for the publishers too.

I don't know why everyone always has this elitist mentality when it comes to putting down a poster, but I actually sort of agree with the original poster. He went in right at store open and they held it back. They were (probably) selling it for $2.99 to those who had it on their pull list but were upping the charge for the others. On one hand, I get it. But on the other hand, it's gauging. It's a slimy move. Hell, I'd be okay with even a day later but not the very instant the store opens and the book is supposed to be on the shelf.

Funny, but everyone here gives the OP a hard time but I know for sure the majority of you would be, at the very least, a little ticked off also.

:golfclap:

Ok so I am a regular customer who goes there and buys every week. I get there as they open their doors at 11AM, about ten of us are there. All the new comics are out for sale except Batman Inc #8. I asked him why aren't there any issues of that, he said sold out!!! *&^%* bull(*&^^ I will NEVER go there again!!

The LCS gets to decide how to operate his business.

Looks like he's more interested in making max $ off a new release book that's hot vs selling a book at list price to his customers.

I don't agree.

Should the local Best Buy/Future shop have changed their signs at noon to reflect $999? No, they kept their prices, sold em out, and I don't know what happened after that price wise but my point is, they COULD have gauged their clientele.... The market was $1,000 in some places because they were sold out, but they left theirs at $699 day of release.

How would people have felt if they walked into Future Shop, expecting to pau $699 for PS3 but seeing the price at $1,000 on day 1? Whats different about a comic book shop?

I don't like the feeling of getting gauged. Like I said, if the store chose to sell Batman Inc at $20 the very next day, that's one thing. To pull whatever is on the shelf the minute after opening in order to up the price is a slimy way to run a business.

For the record, my local shop sold em at cover until they were sold out. I applaud them.

You dont agree that the LCS gets to decide how s/he operates their business?

I agree its not a very ethical approach, but when operating in a market as volitile as the weekly modern comic market, and living on such small margins I understand their desire to cash in when possible. I would hope that a "good" LCS would balance that with providing to their customer base. That means fill their subscription orders, & put up 1 comic per customer sign....

I get that you dont like feeling gauged, but as long as the LCS is selling them at cover, you arent getting gauged. And if the LCS limits comics to 1/customer it means they arent just feeding flippers who themselves are gauging (over on ebay or elsewhere).

If you're going to start a thread, at least take the time to articulate what happened and provide pertinent information.

His post was basically, "I went to my LCS to buy Batman whatever and he said it was sold out OMGWTFSCUMBAGSCAM"

The OP didn't give us all the information. He immediately jumped to they are scumbags. When you make accusations like that and don't back it up with info, expect to get called to task for it.

Also, you are assuming that they were charging others more money based on what exactly? I like to actually have some info before I make a decision. Based on the OP's OMGWTFBBQ reaction, I can't put much credence into him remembering anything correctly.

I agree with most of what you're saying sure, and yes, some people come across as douchebags in their rants but I get the jist of it.

Also, in regards to what I bolded, why on earth would they have pulled them? To bag and board them for everyone and immediately put them back up for at cover price?

Unless I missed it somewhere, there isn't any evidence they did that. They could have under-ordered and only had enough books for their pull list. Most of their pull list according to OMGWTFBBQ. It is hard for me to trust the word of the guy that went straight to scumbag with zero info and then questions the ethics of those that question him.

:applause:

No, actually this was my first post. Maybe you should heed your own advice!! And I am not a flipper, unlike yourself.

Ok so I am a regular customer who goes there and buys every week. I get there as they open their doors at 11AM, about ten of us are there. All the new comics are out for sale except Batman Inc #8. I asked him why aren't there any issues of that, he said sold out!!!

:applause:

No, actually this was my first post. Maybe you should heed your own advice!! And I am not a flipper, unlike yourself.

Ok so I am a regular customer who goes there and buys every week. I get there as they open their doors at 11AM, about ten of us are there. All the new comics are out for sale except Batman Inc #8. I asked him why aren't there any issues of that, he said sold out!!!

This reminds me of an old post I made, for what its worth, which probably isn't much:

I was ten years old in 1966. After school I rode my bike to the drugstore where I would happily buy the newest arrivals from the comic spinner rack. I was looking forward to the latest Fantastic Four, as the previous month introduced this cool guy called the Silver Surfer and some big mean guy called Galactus.

I had waited all month to see what was going to happen in the next issue.

I went with four comics that I had picked out and laid two quarters on the counter, excited once again to sit on the curb outside the store and enter the marvelous world of Spidey, the FF, the X-Men and Thor.

The druggist who always cheerfully sold me my precious comics started ringing up my order on the cash register. When he reached the FF #49, a slight frown came to his face and he set it aside from the other three books.

He finished ringing up the order, then walked from around the counter and bent down so he could talk to me eye-to-eye.

“Son, I can’t sell you the Fantastic Four book, because last month I sold out all of that title within a few days. People kept coming in and asking me if I had any more copies left, and I didn’t. It’s so popular that this month I’m charging $2.50 a copy and people are buying it anyway. You don’t have enough money to purchase this book.”

I couldn’t believe it. No way I could come up with that kind of money; why $2.00 bought me every Marvel title each month.

“But Mr. Haskens, I got all the issues from #41 on up, and I have to find out what happens to the Thing and the Torch this month!!”

Mr. Haskens went on to explain about supply and demand, fair market value, personal choice, and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t understand. He seemed a little sad. But he wouldn’t sell me the book for 12 cents like always. I went outside and read my Spider-Man and the other two books.

I didn’t have a pull-list to reserve books each month, just walked in and bought them. Didn’t take them home and store them in mylars, just stacked them in my bottom dresser drawer. They weren’t investments, they were entertainment.

Of course this never really happened. But I did buy my comics from the local drugstore spinner rack. And I was 10 in 1966.

I’m glad I ‘m not a 10 year old boy now.

Just checked at two other LCS's in addition to the one I went to yesterday, and copies of this book are both plentiful and not in any kind of unusual demand. "We had a couple calls, but nobody came in," according to one owner.

My shop, already referenced in this thread, was actually sold out, but I happened to get one. I had my stack of books on the counter looking for something else, and another customer flipped through my stack, saw the book, asked if it was mine, and when I said, "Yeah," he said, "Lucky!" I probably would have let him have it if he had actually asked.

You got me. Nailed it.