• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got back my Avengers #2 from CGC

13 posts in this topic

I'm happy because I just got back my Avengers #2 from CGC and it came back a 9.2 with off-white pages. I bought it raw from Harley Yee at the San Diego Con. I have bought from him before and I must say he knows how to grade. He also guarenteed that it would not be restored. I don't expect any dealer to guarentee a grade because CGC can be subjective.

I'm happy because I just got back my Avengers #2 from CGC and it came back a 9.2 with off-white pages. I bought it raw from Harley Yee at the San Diego Con. I have bought from him before and I must say he knows how to grade. He also guarenteed that it would not be restored. I don't expect any dealer to guarentee a grade because CGC can be subjective. Photobucket Webpage smile.gif
Avengers2CGC9.jpg

Gorgeous book, I'd guess with Harley Yee you paid a pretty steap price even though it was raw?

Brian

I don't mind telling the price. I got from him for $1400. If it came back 9.0, I lost because it is probably worth $1000-1100 at a 9.0. A 9.2 is worth probably $1500 or a little more.

This was the good news:

Bad News: My Spidey #18 got a 6.5 when I really thought it would grade a 7.5

My Avengers #8 came back a 7.0 when I thought it would be an 8.0 shocked.gif

It has the silver age cover over hang on the front and back. CGC slammed it for that. The book is absolutely beautiful. Av8Fr.jpg

I'm going to put it up on ebay tonight because I already have an awesome one.

Gorgeous book, I'd guess with Harley Yee you paid a pretty steap price even though it was raw?

Brian

of course, the point is moot if this is the grade it was sold at and jimjim paid what a slabbed copy was worth minus slabbing costs and S/H/Ins............. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

on the other hand, i'm not sure how many folks can deliver a book that gets the grade they claim, guarantees no resto and then produces the goods, ultimately.

so, yes, i tend to agree with you Brian that steep prices from some dealers is a huge gamble............. devil.gif

congrats jimjim thumbsup2.gif

All expensive raw books are a gamble. Most of the time I read of the bad experiences on these boards. How many times have we seen the word NM next to an Ebay auction item. There are not too many places where NM equates to CGC NM. I usually figure if a book is truly NM why hasn't the dealer slabbed it? There are some dealers with such a huge inventory, it is cost prohibative to slab that many books. Harley fits this catagory. He has thousands of books that are high valued. He can't slab all of them. It makes since for him to strictly grade them and price them accordingly. Same is true with Metropolis. I can't see Vincent grading all of those books. That is another place where I would buy raw high grades from.

Quick Points:

1) Great looking book. thumbsup2.gif

2) Unless you thought the book had a shot at 9.4 (and maybe you did), why take the gamble? Your upside was minimal, and the downside was huge.

3) Call for the graders notes on the other books. The overhang should not take a 9.0 or higher book, down to a 7.0. My guess (and I might just be able to see it in the scan), is you have some long non-color breaking creases which are nearly impossible to see on a white cover. Just a guess.

good point, and where I was going..... I agree that Metro etc went htrough their books for slabbing candidates...but probably letf a few raw that are good candidates for sending to Sarasota. But why gamble? Its not like you paid $800 and got lucky! You paid what a slabbed copy should sell for, so the risk was all on you right? Harly might have taken it back slabbed... but you dont know... What if it was an 8.5 for things neoither you nor Harley could see,... and whT if Harley was into it for $1100. Would he or any other dealer give you your 1400 back? might be a long heated discussssion...

Quick Points:

1) Great looking book. thumbsup2.gif

2) Unless you thought the book had a shot at 9.4 (and maybe you did), why take the gamble? Your upside was minimal, and the downside was huge.

3) Call for the graders notes on the other books. The overhang should not take a 9.0 or higher book, down to a 7.0. My guess (and I might just be able to see it in the scan), is you have some long non-color breaking creases which are nearly impossible to see on a white cover. Just a guess.

1. Thanks

2. I'm going for a run of Avengers 1-150 CGC VF/NM to NM- and above. Only missing the 2 big ones: 1 and 4. I actually got to see the inside pages and the cover close up. I don't know if I could of got a 9.2 for 1400 that looked as nice as this. I'm very picky about my run, boarding on narotic. I've decided that this is probably the only run I'll ever do. Too much effort getting certain books that nobody will grade because the payoff is minimal. Kind of like trying to get a mint common card in baseball card collecting.

3.The overhang on the Avengers #8 not just an overhang, but a jagged cut over-hang. The cut is also jagged on the back cover. I can't complain because I got it cheap about 10 years ago, and it does look nice close up.