• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

First they allegedly grade all the Sparkle City books too easy, so now it appears they have overcorrected to being overly tight.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

200 books in the last 3 years and every year it gets harder and harder to get 9.4's and 9.6's (where the money is).

Haspell returning or they have all these newby graders? Or the complaints about the easy grades sparkle city got?

Im off on vacation for several weeks but will check this thread when I get back...I gave them an earful at the Portland comic con. They were quite shocked anyone would call them on their bs, they looked like they were living in a bubble with no idea the effect their actions have on people trying to make money by digging up NM books and getting hammered by changes in standards.

I have called CGC more times than anyone in the HISTORY of CGC. They just put me on hold until some sucker that does not know it's me picks up the phone... lol

CAL who does not feel like calling them today...maybe tomorrow...

I am right there with you. Subbed a Daredevil 158 a few years ago and it got a 9.6. Subbed three copies a few months ago, every single one of which was superior, and they came back 9.2/9.2/9.4. Anyone at C2E2 can stop by my booth and see all four, right in a row.

I have subbed hundreds and hundreds of books and the "tight" and "loose" periods are no myth. They are firmly in the former right now. I am sitting a a shortbox of stuff to sub and those books aren't going anywhere until CGC gets their minds right.

I have no empirical data to support this, but my thought is that new graders are going to be tighter and err on the side of the lower grade. Until they are through their apprenticeship, I think the tight grading will continue. It's good for re-subs anyway . . . :devil:

It's good for re-subs anyway . . . :devil:

Only on bigger books. On sub $300 slabs it isn't worth the money or the ridiculous 6+ month wait for value tier.

I subbed 400+ books last year....this year I might do 10% of that, and it's not due to a lack of candidates.

its actually all over the place. got some books back a few weeks ago and some of the 9.8's should have been 9.4's. so many cbc's that i did not notice untill i looked at the slabs when they came back. im getting some more today and am wondering what they will look like.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

I am right there with you. Subbed a Daredevil 158 a few years ago and it got a 9.6. Subbed three copies a few months ago, every single one of which was superior, and they came back 9.2/9.2/9.4. Anyone at C2E2 can stop by my booth and see all four, right in a row.

I have subbed hundreds and hundreds of books and the "tight" and "loose" periods are no myth. They are firmly in the former right now. I am sitting a a shortbox of stuff to sub and those books aren't going anywhere until CGC gets their minds right.

Yes, me too. I have a slowly building stack of stuff that is not going to CGC until I see evidence that they are a bit more balanced. My opinion is they are too tight right now in higher grades. I undestand that there was a consensus they were too lenient a year ago. But the goal, like Goldilocks, is to be neither too hot nor too cold. We want just right.

Meanwhile, now is a good time to buy those high grade books graded the last in the last 6-8 months. There are some really pretty 9.0-9.4's coming out of the CGC plant right now.

Yes, me too. I have a slowly building stack of stuff that is not going to CGC until I see evidence that they are a bit more balanced. My opinion is they are too tight right now in higher grades. I undestand that there was a consensus they were too lenient a year ago. But the goal, like Goldilocks, is to be neither too hot nor too cold. We want just right.

Meanwhile, now is a good time to buy those high grade books graded the last in the last 6-8 months. There are some really pretty 9.0-9.4's coming out of the CGC plant right now.

+1

I have a load of books I need to get graded but right now it's a waste of money.

I would guess that they switched over to eBay grading standards, but the grades are in the other direction.

Waste of money and a *spoon* in the *spoon*.

+1

I have a load of books I need to get graded but right now it's a waste of money.

I would guess that they switched over to eBay grading standards, but the grades are in the other direction.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

+1

Do the nurses know you're on their computer again?

+1

Do the nurses know you're on their computer again?

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: