• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

They needed to get tighter as I've seen so many examples of fugly NM gift grades over the last year. In a recent sales thread alone I saw 3 or 4 examples of books that had no business obtaining NM grades. Crunched corners, multiple spine ticks, stuff you would rarely see in years had all of sudden become common place.

They needed to get tighter as I've seen so many examples of fugly NM gift grades over the last year. In a recent sales thread alone I saw 3 or 4 examples of books that had no business obtaining NM grades. Crunched corners, multiple spine ticks, stuff you would rarely see in years had all of sudden become common place.

+1

I'm a buyer 99% of the time so tight doesn't bother me at all. I've seen a LOT of 9.6-9.8 slabs that had no business getting those grades.

A few years ago a book like this would have maybe been 9.6, for sure 9.4. But now it gets hammered to 9.2 killing half the profit for this poor seller. Just not worth it anymore to deal with finding these books just to have CGC arbitrarily lower their value because they are 'tight' right now and no real reason.

newly graded GL on ebay

I disagree - look at the bottom two corners, especially the right one, and the big dent/scrape in the middle above the dinosaur. 9.2 might be a gift grade - many around here would call it 9.0.

I see a dent right in the center of the book above one of the dinosaur's spiked spine tips on it's back.

edit: sorry should have read your post better. :blush:

+1

I'm a buyer 99% of the time so tight doesn't bother me at all. I've seen a LOT of 9.6-9.8 slabs that had no business getting those grades.

+2

hope cgc stays this way.

+1

+2

It's way past time that they finally tightened up. They've been so loose for so long that peoples grading expectations have loosened with them. What most people think is too tight is finally right where it should be all along IMHO.

Dear CGC,

Please loosen back up and grade my piece o' mess book higher so I can make more on it when I sell it.

Thank you,

Mr. Collector-Dealer-Flipper, Esq.

lol

Dear CGC,

Please loosen back up and grade my piece o' mess book higher so I can make more on it when I sell it.

Thank you,

That's pretty much the gist of it from my end. (shrug)

Dear CGC,

Thank you,

That's pretty much the gist of it from my end. (shrug)

+1

+2

It's way past time that they finally tightened up. They've been so loose for so long that peoples grading expectations have loosened with them. What most people think is too tight is finally right where it should be all along IMHO.

+3

As a buyer who likes nicely-presenting books at more affordable prices I have no problem with this.

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

I'm a dealer. I sell CGC books. I'm not going to complain.

Why?

Because they have been terribly lax for a long time now and although I have zero evidence that they are tightening up, I truly hope that they are. :wishluck:

This shouldn't be about short-term profit, but long-term stability. We need books to be graded consistantly accurately...and they haven't been for some time, so I welcome any attempt to right the ship.

+1

Question is - when were they graded?

+1

Question is - when were they graded?

Most of the ones I looked up were from like March to September of 2012

+1

+2

+1

When I did my 1st submission back in 2002 of like 15 books that I had had for 10-15 years, I was shocked at how low the grades were. That was really just because my grading was too loose though. As I bought more and more slabs, I came to expect certain looks for the given grades. Lately, they ha e been way too loose IMO. I can't even count how many 9.4-9.8 slabs I've bought in auction that when I got in hand looked to be very soft grades. Those 9.4-9.8's would have been 9.0-9.4's back in 2002 IMO.

It sucks for people looking to sell or flip but as mainly a buyer/collector I'm personally sick of buying a 9.8 and getting it in hand and seeing multiple faults on the book

Maybe if all you big time dealers complain to them now, maybe they will ease up? Please everyone call and complain.

Why?

Because they have been terribly lax for a long time now and although I have zero evidence that they are tightening up, I truly hope that they are. :wishluck:

This shouldn't be about short-term profit, but long-term stability. We need books to be graded consistantly accurately...and they haven't been for some time, so I welcome any attempt to right the ship.

Why right a ship that's unsinkable?

Why?

You can't have both. There are 12 years worth of books out there - like a million. Do you want consistent with what was done in the past, or tightened up?

I got back some Thor's in the 120--140's from CGC in early October that were all 8.5-9.0. Ok, so strict grading pleases many collectors. But I'm holding in my hand an IM #1 graded 9.4 a year earlier while looking at these Thor's that easily, no one would ever disagree, doesn't look near as nice as any of the 8.5's just received.

So answering my own question, I value consistency over anything else. If you don't like the way a 9.4 looks, only purchase 9.6+ books. But having grading standards all over the place over couple of years is a bad thing. For everyone.