• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else complain to CGC they are overly tight right now?

232 posts in this topic

So what I've learned from reading this thread

-If you have a book in hand, buy the book not the label.

-If you by a slab from scans and don't agree with said label, sell it online with the same scans used to bait you.

-Grading tightly should be synonymous with grading consistency

-Buyers want tight grading.

-Sellers want loose grading

Maybe I learned nothing at all.

Sums it up :golfclap:

:golfclap:

Seeing as how the CGC now has their own in house pressing service, I would expect them to begin hitting pressable defects even harder than they did before.

This would be *thoroughly* stupid, I don’t think so.

Normal people DO read comics, let’s remember that. ;)

Seeing as how the CGC now has their own in house pressing service, I would expect them to begin hitting pressable defects even harder than they did before.

Normal people don't submit books to the CGC.

Normal people don't submit books to the CGC.

Friends don't let friends submit.

Not sure if this comment was tongue in cheek but damn it has me thinking there is some validity to it. If true, if CGC grades even more harshly on pressable defects,

I predict a lot of collectors will give it up.

Cracking slabs is actually quite fun.
I did eight this weekend. Got six or seven left to go later tonight after the Walking Dead.

Not sure if this comment was tongue in cheek but damn it has me thinking there is some validity to it. If true, if CGC grades even more harshly on pressable defects,

I predict a lot of collectors will give it up.

This conspiracy was hit pretty hard a few months ago, and I am somewhat in agreement that this could very possibly happen. Something as simple as an internal memo to all graders saying that grading with get tighter on NCB bends (and other pressable defects) - causing a normal 9.6 to go down to a 9.4. This would be simple for CGC to implement, and at no risk to them, because the amount of people leaving their service over a bad grade is far less than the amount of people who will resub with a press.

CGC is in business to make money and be profitable. Not to preserve comic book integrity or grade accurately. And since there are no viable competitors, to think that they would not take advantage of the situation by manipulating the grading standards is somewhat ignorant of how large businesses operate.

I just got the grades on my col. society coupon books. The two books that i thought were 7.0s graded at 7.5 and 8.0. While the one book I thought was a 9.4/9.6 came back a 9.2. There was another book that graded 8.5 that I pegged as an 8.5.

I believe there is truth to the tighter grading in the 9.0+ range. Take it for what it's worth as it's a very small sample size.

I got a few books back this week. Some were actually in worse shape than when I sent them in. 1 in particular was missing a chip from the spine side of the cover that was perfectly intact when shipped. May have happened in transit, but who knows? Encapsulation seems to have taken a hit. Lots of dust and other flecks in a couple of the slabs.

Grading: Wildly inconsistent, but strangely tight. I had one book with a detached centerfold come back as a blue label 2.5, but another book in the overall condition, with nicer cover gloss and no detachments, only came in at a 2.0. There seems to be some arbitrary stuff going on.

I knew none of these books were amazing, but most are 1.5 to 2 grades below what I thought, and I've gotten pretty good at predicting what my subs will get...

I got a few books back this week. Some were actually in worse shape than when I sent them in. 1 in particular was missing a chip from the spine side of the cover that was perfectly intact when shipped. May have happened in transit, but who knows? Encapsulation seems to have taken a hit. Lots of dust and other flecks in a couple of the slabs.

Grading: Wildly inconsistent, but strangely tight. I had one book with a detached centerfold come back as a blue label 2.5, but another book in the overall condition, with nicer cover gloss and no detachments, only came in at a 2.0. There seems to be some arbitrary stuff going on.

I knew none of these books were amazing, but most are 1.5 to 2 grades below what I thought, and I've gotten pretty good at predicting what my subs will get...

+1

Tight and wildy inconsistent.

I called CGC. They said to tell everybody thanks for the input. They've decided to loosen the grades. Y'all can quit complaining now.

I'll quit complaining when I run out of things to complain about.

Now get off my lawn. :sumo:

I called CGC. They said to tell everybody thanks for the input. They've decided to loosen the grades. Y'all can quit complaining now.

I called The CGC and thanked them for the tight grading. Specifically I told them that the tight grading was the cause for some incredibly entertaining whining on their chatboards. More entertaining than Big Bang Theory reruns. They decided to keep the tight grades. Y'all...carry on (thumbs u

Fyi, tight grading is a GOOD thing. (thumbs u

I agree. But consistency is more important that just grading a given book lower than they would have a month ago just for and giggles. Especially when I'm looking at 5 Books from my newest return. Grades of 2.0, 2.5, 4.0, 2.0, 3.5.

The 2.5 has a detached centerfold which is not even noted. The 3.5 has an ugly miswrap. The 4.0 looks pretty much like a 4.0 should - well loved, but not abused. The oldest of the 2 2.0s is the one that exhibits chipping along the spine that it did not have when leaving my hands. But I digress. The book with the most "Eye appeal" in the bunch, is the ASM 54 in 2.0. It looks more stable than the 4.0, it has less cover creases, Cover gloss is nice. No miswrap. Generally a fairly tight book. So unless I wanna pay another $25 to see graders notes, and I don't I'm just gonna have to live with them. I still love the books and that's what counts. Just seems like they're slapping low numbers on there just so they can claim they've "tightened up" grading.

It's funny ya' know. Because I've barely used these boards in the past five years. But five years ago these same exact topics were being discussed. Five years from now.... we'll be discussing them again.