• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whose got the best copy on the boards?

1,179 posts in this topic

Incomparable! (worship)

CaptainMidnight17.jpg

I agree. That's one of my favorite covers. I love the caption at the bottom, too.

I like this one a lot, too. I think #11 may have a better cover, but Alan will have to post his copy. Mine's not too great.

[font:Times New Roman]Love this Cap.

According to the CGC census it's secondy bestest with an 8.5 taking top honors.

But setting aside the census and given the overall appearance,PQ and pedigree... :cloud9:

CA71-1A_zpsdf080be0.jpg

EDIT: Just had a chance to go through all of the Capt. Midnight covers.

Wow! Some awesome Raboy work in there! [/font] :applause:

Hi Cat: Great looking copy.. mine is graded 8.0 as well...

[font:Times New Roman]That's a killer copy, Steven. :applause:

#71 always struck me stylistically as having one of the most modern drawn covers for a late 40's Cap. Great action scene. [/font]

[font:Times New Roman]Here's another secondy bestest copy (there may be a 9.0 lurking out there somewhere), with kudos to my tall geek buddy from Houston for hooking me up with it.

As I recall, this Guy Holcomb copy was the first book I ever purchased from Mr. Bedrock. (worship) It holds a honored place in my collection. :luhv:

4577864e-a3a0-4062-b200-18518be4d1e5_zps9fef6100.jpg

:gossip: Wha-! "Lobbying for a shot at that Wonderworld!" Me? :o No, never!!! [/font] :facepalm:

[font:Times New Roman]Love this Cap.

According to the CGC census it's secondy bestest with an 8.5 taking top honors.

But setting aside the census and given the overall appearance,PQ and pedigree... :cloud9:

CA71-1A_zpsdf080be0.jpg

EDIT: Just had a chance to go through all of the Capt. Midnight covers.

Wow! Some awesome Raboy work in there! [/font] :applause:

That's Cap for you. You gotta drop a safe on his head to get his attention! :D

[font:Times New Roman]Posted these together once before, but not in separate scans for closer examination.

It's an epic tale of the heroic Human Torch & Toro expanded in size to battle Bender's great. great grand-pappy and a couple of mean-spirited mad scientist co-conspirators for the future of the world.

A Timely classic!!! bender-dance.gif

My first copy has what appears to be a minute discoloration or stain (alas, not Laphroaig) directly below the R in TORCH, but has virtually perfect registration.

The second is slightly off registration (green) and I do mean very slightly, but has super strong colors and presents as flawless. Both have nice PQ. Supposedly there are four of these topping the registry, but I find that a bit of a stretch to believe. Something tells me that one or more copies were cracked out and resubmitted without labels and received no grade bump. hm

8ddb6d72-84dc-4054-9366-43b7e0b7514f_zps97696c06.jpg

5fb5948b-f915-4499-909e-754c1b1e4e1e_zpsf330c8ef.jpg

Prime examples of Schomburg's talent as an illustrator![/font] :cloud9: